Author Topic: Burial place for Hugh Smith and Mary Taggart  (Read 12927 times)

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burial place for Hugh Smith and Mary Taggart
« on: Thursday 25 November 10 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Trying kto find a probably burial place for Hugh Smith and Mary Taggart. They came over from Ireland and settled in Eastgate Renfrew.  Every time I write in on the councils e-page for cemeteries it just comes back with sorry not found so can anyone suggest a link for this area and also, for Pollokshaws in Glasgow as this is where Alexander and Janet Omay ended up living.

Thought I might try going backwards to find their death certs and other information.

marcie.....thankyou :)
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Burial place for Hugh Smith and Mary Taggart
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 November 10 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Thought I might try going backwards to find their death certs and other information

That seems like the best course of action given the surname Smith.   Without a date and place of death I doubt you will ever find them

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 November 10 17:49 GMT (UK) »
That is the problem,
except for a few census from 1841 I have not found anything about this pair. Cannot track them back to Ireland because I do not know which county or parish they came from, I know that Hugh was an AgLab and I have the address where they set up home.  by 1841 they would both khave been in their early mid 40's, cannot track their deaths, because of the Smith name.  Have not bothered to track all their children for the same reason.  The only one that I am sure of is my grgrgrandfather Alexander who was a mason.

Will see if I can find some links.  Thank you for your help!
marcie......marjorie
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 November 10 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi

It's bad enough trying to research that surname but when you are also hampered by the Irish connection - it becomes an absolute nightmare

Very best of luck
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 November 10 16:49 GMT (UK) »
 Do you know Carole if there are any links for FHS for renfrew or Calbrachan.  eastgate is wrong, it is eastwood.  My memory is not what it used to be. my grgrgrandmothers family are easier, they are in argyll with a name of omay.

I am considering going up to Renfrew and Campbelltown to do some research, it may prove more successful than trying to find them tkhrough SP or Ancestry.  Though I did have some luck recently, but only found information I had already found previously, but at least I know that they're information is there.  Dont suppose that they would have gone back to Ireland or been buried over there instead of Renfrew or Glasgow.
marjorie
 searl rogers sutherland

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 November 10 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marcie

Sorry - I'm not at all knowledgeable of other Scottish sources apart from the usual ones

I hope somebody else can help you

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 November 10 00:56 GMT (UK) »
 Thank you CarolW
Thing is there seems to be links for Argyll and also for Aberdeen, but have not found anything for Renfrew.....But here's hoping

marcie
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 November 10 01:00 GMT (UK) »
That is the problem,
except for a few census from 1841 I have not found anything about this pair. Cannot track them back to Ireland because I do not know which county or parish they came from, I know that Hugh was an AgLab and I have the address where they set up home.  by 1841 they would both khave been in their early mid 40's, cannot track their deaths, because of the Smith name.  Have not bothered to track all their children for the same reason.  The only one that I am sure of is my grgrgrandfather Alexander who was a mason.

Will see if I can find some links.  Thank you for your help!
marcie......marjorie

When and where was Alexander born?

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 28 November 10 01:49 GMT (UK) »
Is this the family in 1841 living in Kilbarchan

Hugh Smith 40 Occupation: Ag Lab born Ireland
Mary Smith 40
Elizebeth Smith 19