Author Topic: Burial place for Hugh Smith and Mary Taggart  (Read 12925 times)

Offline Shannynd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Weegee descendent
    • View Profile
Margaret McTaggart/McMillan/Smith
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 06:08 GMT (UK) »
Ok, newbie here, so bear with me if I break any rules.
In a stack of papers given to me by various family members, I have a copy of a birth extract for an Archibald Smith, born to Archibald Smith and Margaret McMillan of West Tarbert, Nov 6th 1851. Could this be the same people you speak about? Any information you have would be greatly appreciated, they are not in my tree that I am aware of, but I wonder who they are, and why do I have their papers?
i will post the image as soon as I can scan it in.
Reid-Glasgow, Cramond
Smith-Argyll, & Glasgow

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burial place for Hugh Smith and Mary Taggart
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 20:02 GMT (UK) »
"Shanynd",

Archibald Smith , as far as I am aware is not a member of my family.  What I do know is that he was in Argyll, he married Margaret McMillan and the family are buried there. Which is about the same as yourself. (Poss Campbelltown)

My family on the other hand came over from Ireland. Hugh Smith and Mary Taggart they brought with them abt 9 children and settled in Eastwood, Renfrew, where they had their last child named Hellen.  She died in Clippens Square aged 17.  Hugh died in renfrew in 1868 Mary died in the poor house some years after Hugh.  Have not been able to trace their children, other than Hellen and Muir who is my line, his son being Alexander my grgrgrandfather. I have been trying to find who they married, and when they died, where buried, without much success. Marjorie
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline Shannynd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Weegee descendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 20:14 GMT (UK) »
So your Mary Taggart has no relation to my Margaret McTaggart/McMillan/Smith? Would you minding sending me any images or information you did find on my Margaret?

Much appreciated, I too am a searcher on a budget!
Reid-Glasgow, Cramond
Smith-Argyll, & Glasgow

Offline Shannynd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Weegee descendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 20:15 GMT (UK) »
oops, forgot to attach image!
Reid-Glasgow, Cramond
Smith-Argyll, & Glasgow

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Shannynd,

Are you a member of Ancestry.  you could pm me with your email address
a private message.

I can do better than that, they are connected to my Omay family.  Janet Omay married my grgrgrandfather. Another member of the family married a McMillan.
Other members of the wide reaching family are Galbraith, McCallum, McEachran some of which worked in one of the distilleries around Campbelltown or worked as coopers etc.  You are quite welcome to take a look and see if there is anything which will help you.
Marjorie
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 02 October 19 21:08 BST (UK) »
Hi, I was directed to this thread.

I think that Hugh Smith and Mary McTaggart are from Bovevagh Northern Ireland. Just outside Limavady.

My Great Granny is a Smith from Bovevagh so I may well be distantly connected to you.

But, there is a marriage of a Hugh Smith and Mary McTaggart in Bovevagh Presbyterian Church?

Is this of any use to you? Or have you already established a point of origin?

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 10 January 20 02:55 GMT (UK) »
ahugh got away from ireland afterlosing his wife and 5 children i want to find the graves and their names somehow he got over to scotland and met and married mary taggart in renfre w st.joghnston and they had 15 children eliaabeth was the eldest miuirmary and others i am wondering if his irish wife was also mctaggart and the names of his children in scotland were named in homage to those he lost to the potsato famine nd the disease that followed
 searl rogers sutherland