Author Topic: Burial place for Hugh Smith and Mary Taggart  (Read 12929 times)

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burial place for Hugh Smith and Mary Taggart
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 28 November 10 01:53 GMT (UK) »
1851 has this

Sarah Smith 16 Head   born: Ireland occ Mill worker
Helen Smith 11 born: Kilbarchan, Renfrew 

Address: Collier Street Johnstone Renfrewshire

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 28 November 10 16:39 GMT (UK) »
Sancti,
My alexander  was actually Muir's son, mis transcribed as mecie and I think Salla is mistranscribed as well and should be Lolla  He was born 1852 i think and married Janet Omay in 1875 in Campbeltown.
Unless they had other children I do not know of and they died.
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 28 November 10 16:51 GMT (UK) »
kkYes Sancti,
you have the right family.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 28 November 10 17:13 GMT (UK) »
When and where did Muir marry?

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 28 November 10 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Sancti,
My alexander  was actually Muir's son, mis transcribed as mecie and I think Salla is mistranscribed as well and should be Lolla  He was born 1852 i think and married Janet Omay in 1875 in Campbeltown.
Unless they had other children I do not know of and they died.

Salla looks to be Sarah in 1851

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 28 November 10 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Trying kto find a probably burial place for Hugh Smith and Mary Taggart. They came over from Ireland and settled in Eastgate Renfrew.  Every time I write in on the councils e-page for cemeteries it just comes back with sorry not found so can anyone suggest a link for this area and also, for Pollokshaws in Glasgow as this is where Alexander and Janet Omay ended up living.

Thought I might try going backwards to find their death certs and other information.

marcie.....thankyou :)

If the family did settle in Eastwood this may explain why there is nothing in the Renfrewshire Council database as Eastwood although once part of Renfrewshire is now part of East Renfrewshire County. Pollokshaws was also once part of Renfrewshire and although it is now a suburb of Glasgow this is a relatively recent event (early 20th century).

Depending upon when the burials took place the main cemeteries used by Shaws folk were the Eastwood Cemeteries in Thornliebank Road (the Old Cemetery and the New Cemetery are very near one another). Old Eastwood Cemetery is apparently the burial ground of the old Eastwood Parish Church.

Unfortunately the burial records for these two cemeteries are held by Glasgow Council who charge an excessive fee for any searching.

Other burial grounds in EastRenfrewshire and administered by that Council can be found at
East Renfrewshire Burials Enquiries

East Renfrewshire also has an online database of some of their heritage material at
http://www.eastrenfrewshire.gov.uk/heritage/heritage_database_records/heritage_quick_search.htm

You must also remember that Civil Registration did not begin in Scotland until 1855 and records before that date are very patchy (especially death records) as there was no need to report a death to any authority. The church was charged with the duty of recording burials in there parishes but the history of the Church in Scotland is very fractious and while some ministers did record the events of persons living in their area but not of their church many did not.

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 29 November 10 15:12 GMT (UK) »
[
Salla looks to be Sarah in 1851
Hi Sancti,
In that case there may have been more children than I had taken account of, if so thank you for finding this information. :) ;D
marjorie
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 29 November 10 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Falkryn,
thank you for that, I will try and check it out.
speak to you later
marjorie
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 29 November 10 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Sancti,
that now makes me wonder if mecie is irish for someone else I know nothing about
I thought that they only had 11 children including Hellen.  Intrigued.

Falkryn, sent an email to the address that you gave me and phone them, the girl Linda who looks after the Heritage site is back in tomorrow, so will try again then.

marcie
 searl rogers sutherland