Author Topic: 67th regiment of foot Hampshire  (Read 3974 times)

Offline roy747

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
67th regiment of foot Hampshire
« on: Friday 26 November 10 15:10 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to locate information on an Edward Walter Searle born 1835 Weybridge Surrey,
I belive he was in Ireland, as his battalion left from Dublin may 1867 and arrived Portsmouth 30 may1867 his son also of the same name was born 26-6-1868 Portsea and his birth cert shows his father as a private in the 67th,The childs mother was Bridget Murphy born Wexford Ireland, hence i belive he must have married while in the Army,either Ireland or Uk i have not found any marridge as yet any help most welcome ???

Offline NEILKE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 67th regiment of foot Hampshire
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 November 10 16:13 GMT (UK) »
hi roy welcome to roots chat some one will be along shortly to help you.
neil
kenny from ireland befre moveing to north shields  flaxen/flexon from cumnor then sunderland robinson from rothbury then north shields urqhart somewhere in scotland then sunderland

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 November 10 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Where did you get the information about their movements? My records have them arriving in Portsmouth in May 1868.

They were in the Waterford area when the son was conceived. As it is post-1864 the Irish civil registrations have started. You can search for them on Family Search. Findmypast have the regimental BMDs, and may have his papers. Although it is unlikly that his papers will mention his wife.

Ken

Offline roy747

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 November 10 11:29 GMT (UK) »
The information was from The Royal Hampshire Regiment 37,67th foot shown on Pauljerrard.com/67th/67ththsouth.html,Thanks for your help, will try to follow up your suggestions,but any further assistance much appreciated,
many thanks
Roy

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 November 10 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Only as before, try Family Search and Findmypast, oh and always get the views of at least three experts.

Ken

Offline elmac

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 December 10 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi - I have also been researching the 67th Regt of foot and thought I would fill you in on a little of the history I have found by looking in the Muster Rolls and Pay Lists (W12 series) found at the TNA, Kew. 

My ancestor John ALLEN enlisted in Blandford Forum Dorset on 13th March 1846 and received a Bounty of £3.10.0d (about £250 in today's money) - after that he was paid one shilling a day(£3.50).  The Regt was then stationed in Cork, Ireland and the PayRolls show him garrisoned there from August 1846 until January 1848 when the Regt sailed for Gibraltar.

They spent just over 3 years in Gibraltar and then were sent to the West Indies for 5 years until about April 1857.  In April 1859 they are in Barrackpore in India and then in September of that year they sail to China where the Regt is involved in the 2nd Opium War of 1860  and they fight in Peking and Taku Forts (we have my ancestor's 1860 China medal and clasps) They are stationed in Shanghai until the Quarter ended 30th Sept when they then sail to Capetown where they spend another 18 months.  Quarter ended 30th Sep 1866 they are on board the ship "Whiteadder" to Cork.

In 1866-7  my ancestor is stationed around Cork moving to Waterford in June 1867 until December of that year.  In the April to June 1868 (W12/7607) they were stationed in Curragh arriving in Portsmouth and then moving to  Aldershot where they were garrisioned until at least 1872 when John Allen was discharged having done 23 years in service.

Hope that helps.

Offline roy747

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 December 10 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your information i now know where to look, and hope to be able to follow up leads when i am able to vist Kew,all i need now is his marriage
Many thanks Roy