Author Topic: Cleaning up, planting flowers...whom to ask?  (Read 5524 times)

Offline stevieuk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning up, planting flowers...whom to ask?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 04 December 10 13:56 GMT (UK) »
It's not just councils that impose such fees to ousiders- one local parish church had a re-claiming a few years ago and the fee for non-church members was something like £50 per grave so many local people (myself included) did not reclaim the old ground.

I wonder if you could explain a bit more about reclaiming, do you mean you could pay £50 & then own the grave/ground or an additional £50 on top of the residents fees, I`m a little confused?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 04 December 10 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Many churches here with their own graveyards will have a re-claiming in order to have a current list of plotholders. Sometimes this is announced in the church and published as a notice in local paper. It may be that the plot records are not up-to-date and the last registered holder is themselves actually in the plot in question. Sometime there will be no fee, a set fee covers all claims (for one or more plots) or the fee can be per grave.
However, even if you are the registered 'owner' of a plot permission is usually needed to erect or re-letter headstones, put up surrounds or do any other work.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline stevieuk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 04 December 10 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for taking the time to explain.