Author Topic: Hardington Mandeville - DELAMONT  (Read 4952 times)

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Hardington Mandeville - DELAMONT
« on: Monday 29 November 10 05:08 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone please search records for this parish? I have an ancestor named Ann Dollimount born c1781 in Hardington according to census records, probably from the Delamont family of Hardington Mandeville. I have no parish records before 1783. There was an Ann baptised to Levi Delamont and Grace Sibley in April 1783 before her parents' marriage in June 1783 who I think is mine. I would like some more proof before I claim her. My Ann married James Bartlett in Closworth in 1805 and died in 1853 aged 70.

Does anyone have info about the Ann born 7 April 1783 (baptised 11/4/1783)? I would also like to find burials for Levi and Grace and parents for Levi. The genealogy I have found so far is confusing for this family, I would dearly like to make sense of it!
Thank you.
Adams; Baylis; Bartlett; Bowyer; Brant; Bull; Carrick; Childs; Darby; Diamond; Dowling; Driver; Elford; Elliott; Fallows; Farmer; Gibbons; Ginger; Gregory; Hennessey; Kirtland; Lakin; Langley; MacCarthy; Manwaring; Miller; Morgan; Morris; Payne; Reardon; Robinson; Rose; Ruddell-Todd; Smith; Sullivan; Stephenson; Stevens; Todd; Trend; Webber; Wetton; Wood; Woodings; Wrathall.

Offline teabag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Hardington Mandeville - DELAMONT
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 December 10 20:59 GMT (UK) »
how about Levi Dollimount b 1757, married Grace Sibley 17 June 1783 & died a pauper on 25 May 1793

The marriage is from the parish registers (my transcription), the rest from stuff on the internet - though the Dorset Online Parish Clerk webiste from Melbury Osmond is really useful hence

Grace Sibley was born July 1758 & baptised on 9th July, (and died 22 Oct 1828 from other research)

I suspect her parents are John Sibley/Syblis & Elizabeth who married in Melbury Osmond on 22 Nov 1742

Hope this helps ( or that you can correct my errors)

Paul

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 December 10 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul,

I have the information you have given me previously (through Ancestry and email), thank you  :). I was hoping for some further info on the Delamont family in Hardington Mandeville, maybe some pre-1783 records to help confirm Ann Dollimount (Bartlett) as definitely a daughter of Levi and Grace, and also Levi's background.

The Dorset OPC is fantastic, Melbury Osmond records have been very comprehensive. If only all counties and parishes were as good!

Were Levi and Grace buried in Melbury Osmond or Hardington Mandeville??? And what to make of Levi's surname at marriage (Gillam)?

Thanks,

Kells.

Adams; Baylis; Bartlett; Bowyer; Brant; Bull; Carrick; Childs; Darby; Diamond; Dowling; Driver; Elford; Elliott; Fallows; Farmer; Gibbons; Ginger; Gregory; Hennessey; Kirtland; Lakin; Langley; MacCarthy; Manwaring; Miller; Morgan; Morris; Payne; Reardon; Robinson; Rose; Ruddell-Todd; Smith; Sullivan; Stephenson; Stevens; Todd; Trend; Webber; Wetton; Wood; Woodings; Wrathall.

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 December 10 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Okay I just realised I have Levi's death in Hardington Mandeville, but had no age for him so didn't know whether to assume he is the right one. I never had Grace's death though.

Did you notice there was an Ann Delamont buried in 1797? Not sure of an age.

:)

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 January 11 10:20 GMT (UK) »
I've been looking at the parish registers around 1780. They are very fragmented, particularly between 1779 and 1780. Sorry about that.

1781 is there apparently in full but no Ann Delamount or similar. The only Delamounts I can find around then are

1780 *ob (Job?) son of John and Mary Dalamount Bap September 29
1781 John son of William and Sarah Dalamount baptised January 21
1782 Levi son of Lewis and Bettey Dalamount Bap Dec 25

Regards

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 January 11 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angela,

Thanks for having a look at the earlier registers, I guess if there was no Ann baptised around that time then the one in 1783 to Levi and Grace could be the one, given we know my Ann was born c1781 in Hardington, and that year would have been an estimate taken from her age in the census. I guess you can never be sure though.

Do you know if these records are available to purchase? I wonder if it would be possible to get hold of more.

Thanks!

Kells  :)

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 January 11 08:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kells

Yes, you can buy the registers from the Somerset Record Office but you'll need access to a microfiche reader to view them. If you email them, you'll find them very helpful and they'll send you details of what registers there are plus a quote. This is the email address to use -

reprographicsatsomerset.gov.uk

At the moment, they charge £2 per fiche (each register typically covers 2 or 3 fiche) plus £9 for the total order, so it's worth getting several at a time.

One thing does concern me though. The fiche I looked at contained 1783 but no sign of Ann. Then I found her in the 1784 register -

1784 Anne daughter of Levi and Grace Dallimont was born April 7th and Christened April 11th by me Henry Hayman Curate

I wonder if there was an Anne born before 1780. I'll have another look later as it's best to be sure!

Regards

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 29 January 11 09:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angela,

Thank you for all that info! It might be worth my while getting Hardington Mandeville and Closworth records where I also have ancestors, I will see what I can find out from the record office.

I must have the wrong details for Ann, for some reason I have been given the baptism date with the year 1783. I made a mistake of my own in recalling what the census actually records, in 1851 she is born c1783, and 1841 c1786 (yet in 1841 the ages were rounded off to the nearest 5, so probably more accurate in 1851). So it may just be that Ann in 1784 is indeed the one.

I think it might help me to get the marriages and burials for the parish also, hoping to narrow the search, as it always pays to check deaths in case the person you think is yours was deceased. Levi Delamont is also something of a mystery, I'd hope to find his baptism although it may not have been in Hardington. When he married Grace Sibley in Melbury Osmond Dorset, he used the surname "Gillam".  ???

Thanks for all of your help!

Kells  :)

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 29 January 11 17:34 GMT (UK) »
I think it's a good idea to get the fiche yourself if you can possibly afford it :) You can't beat going through registers yourself to pick up on context and margin notes etc.

I did have a quick look for a birth for Levi but couldn't see one in Hardington Mandeville, nor were there any banns there that might have related to his marriage. Interestingly, the Lewis Dalamount who was having children about the same time and Levi and Grace, was married in Hardington Mandeville to an Elizabeth Sibley. The same names just keep appearing....

What you said about Ann's age in 1851 does make it very likely we have the right one. The 1841 ages were rounded down to the 5 year mark below their current age, so if Ann was born anywhere from 1782 to 1786, the year of birth would show as 1786 on the 1841, so that matches nicely.

Good luck with your researches  ;D

Best wishes

Angela