Author Topic: WWI Navy - understanding medal entitlement  (Read 3170 times)

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 9 brig. Royal Fusiliers War Diary (large portion)
    • View Profile
WWI Navy - understanding medal entitlement
« on: Monday 29 November 10 16:22 GMT (UK) »
I have just found an ancester who served in "the marines" I am told.  This was in WWI.    His entry is as follows:

Foster Herbert A : Rank: PO (presumably Petty Officer) : No. 214402 : Medals:St / V / B : How issued or disposed of: Verity

I assume Verity was the name of the vessel and his medals were given to him on board this vessel.   It is the actual medals that I am at a loss with!

Can anyone help me here please and is it possible for me to get his naval record from "A" well known website (my membership expires on 4.12.210) - I don't think I have seen naval records in the way that army ones can be seen - if they are there, I can't find them.

Thank you for any help.   Sue
ANDERSON (Kings Lynn, Norfolk) BREWER (Somerset) BALDWIN (Catfield, Norfolk) CRONSHAW(Accrington, Lancs) DEAN (Accrington, Lancs) FOSTER, FORSTER (Astbury, Cheshire AND Canada AND U.S.A.) BRIGHT (London) ROWLAND (Essex and Hampshire) SEWARD (Petersfield, Hampshire) BAILEY/ BROWN (Biddulph, Staffordshire)

Offline jds1949

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WWI Navy - understanding medal entitlement
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 November 10 18:45 GMT (UK) »
In theory his records should be with the NA at Kew - see here:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/looking-for-person/royalmarines.htm?WT.lp=rg-3189

Although I have to say he didn't come up when I tried just now. As for the medals:
V = Victory Medal
B = British War Medal
St = Star [either 1914 or 1915]

jds1949

The reason he didn't come up was because he appears to have been Royal Navy - not Marines, see:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=6936535&queryType=1&resultcount=1

His record will cost you £3.50 to download,

jds1949
Swarbrick - all and any - specially interested in all who served in WW1

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 November 10 19:00 GMT (UK) »
be aware,,,the 1 page record you will download may just give his medal entitlement again,,,,,but ,,,,its your cash   ;)
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 November 10 19:01 GMT (UK) »
by the way,,,,was he from andover,hampshire?
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 9 brig. Royal Fusiliers War Diary (large portion)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 November 10 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for that.   I have just learned from an extremely elderly relative (his daughter) that this chap was a career sailor.  He was also in during WWI when he was taken POW.   Know nothing further about this except his service number which was CH/13520.   He was involved in WWII because he was recalled.   I suspect the CH in front of his number may mean Chatham - this is, however, just a guess!

I would be very interested to find out where he was a POW - as you can imagine I am getting a fairly variable story and trying to sort out the actual facts.

I am told that he was born Albert Herbert but changed his name round on entering the navy to Herbert Albert.

How could I research a naval prisoner of war?

You help is appreciated.

GORTON BOY:  He was born in Epping, Essex and lived in Leicestershire after marriage.

Sue
ANDERSON (Kings Lynn, Norfolk) BREWER (Somerset) BALDWIN (Catfield, Norfolk) CRONSHAW(Accrington, Lancs) DEAN (Accrington, Lancs) FOSTER, FORSTER (Astbury, Cheshire AND Canada AND U.S.A.) BRIGHT (London) ROWLAND (Essex and Hampshire) SEWARD (Petersfield, Hampshire) BAILEY/ BROWN (Biddulph, Staffordshire)

Offline jds1949

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 November 10 19:06 GMT (UK) »
ADM 188 should contain the man's service record - date of birth and ships served on as well as his medal entitlement

jds1949

Offline jds1949

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 November 10 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Our posts crossed - if he was a POW in WW1 then that should be recorded on the record I previously referred to - so I'd start there. If there is no mention of it then here's the next port of call:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/looking-for-person/britishpowfirstworldwar.htm?WT.lp=rg-3115

jds1949

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 29 November 10 19:18 GMT (UK) »
hi,,i thin k he may have been a pow in ww2  ;)

Offline jds1949

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 29 November 10 19:19 GMT (UK) »
In that case:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/looking-for-person/britishpowsecondworldwar.htm?WT.lp=rg-3177

Gortonboy - ADM188 shows birthplace as Peckham in 1884, so if he was a POW in WW2 he'd be well into his 50s!

jds1949