Author Topic: WWI Navy - understanding medal entitlement  (Read 3171 times)

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: WWI Navy - understanding medal entitlement
« Reply #9 on: Monday 29 November 10 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Royal Marine Medal Roll 1914-1920

First name(s): Herbert Albert

Last name: FOSTER

Number: CH/13520

Medals & clasps earned: 1914-15 Star, Victory & British War Medals

How issued or disposed of: R.M. Barracks, Chatham.

Service branch: Royal Marine Light Infantry 

Discharged to Pension. POW IN WW2.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jds1949

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 29 November 10 19:26 GMT (UK) »
So, we have two different men with the same name:

Herbert Albert Foster CH/13520 - Royal Marines and

Herbert A Foster 214402 Royal Navy

- Which one is yours Sue?

jds1949
Swarbrick - all and any - specially interested in all who served in WW1

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 29 November 10 19:30 GMT (UK) »
the herbert albert foster in the royal marines was serving aboard the Intrepid,,,his place of birth is Peckham.....so maybe the royal navy one is a different man.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 29 November 10 19:32 GMT (UK) »
HMS Intrepid was an Apollo class protected cruiser launched in 1891. She was converted to a minelayer in 1910 and was sunk as a blockship in the Zeebrugge raid in 1918.

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 9 brig. Royal Fusiliers War Diary (large portion)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 29 November 10 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

My chap is the one with the number CH/13520 and I suspect he will be the RMLIman because his father was a colour sergeant in that also retiring in 1881.

I imagine Herbert Albert Foster b 1886 Epping, Essex (family previously living in Alverstoke, Hants but had moved before he was born) entered the nave c1902.   He probably served 21 years unless he was discharged for other reasons but he was definitely recalled for WWII so was not a regular sailor.   The record I saw (if it was his) suggested he was a PO on HMS Veritable) but I may have got the wrong chap.

Herbert Albert died in 1969.    Since he was entitled to a naval pension I imagine there will be Pension Records.   Sadly I don't live anywhere near TNA and am useless at working my way round the online stuff so I may have to ask a researcher to get it - I am happy to do this but would like to make sure I have the correct person.

Sue
ANDERSON (Kings Lynn, Norfolk) BREWER (Somerset) BALDWIN (Catfield, Norfolk) CRONSHAW(Accrington, Lancs) DEAN (Accrington, Lancs) FOSTER, FORSTER (Astbury, Cheshire AND Canada AND U.S.A.) BRIGHT (London) ROWLAND (Essex and Hampshire) SEWARD (Petersfield, Hampshire) BAILEY/ BROWN (Biddulph, Staffordshire)

Offline SueK50

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 29 November 10 21:06 GMT (UK) »
So have you downloaded this record Sue? - this is the RMLI man with the no CH/13520

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=8089672&queryType=1&resultcount=1

Cheers
Sue

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

A big thank you to all who helped me.   I did not download from TNA but remembered that I know someone who has a FindMyPast sub.   He tells me that he is able to confirm that he was a Sergeant of the Royal Marine Light Infantry and that he was discharged to Pension.   POW in WW2 - all of which you told me.   However, he is unable to download the Record and it says "The Author has added extra information to the fields in the transcripts of the records.   This means that, unusually, you are likely to find more detail on the transcript than the original image"   He has contacted FindMyPast to find out why, as a full member, he cannot download.   The answer is awaited!!!!!   Has anyone come across this sort of thing before?

Meanwhile, I have found another brother who is a Naval Pensioner!!!

Gratefully, Sue
ANDERSON (Kings Lynn, Norfolk) BREWER (Somerset) BALDWIN (Catfield, Norfolk) CRONSHAW(Accrington, Lancs) DEAN (Accrington, Lancs) FOSTER, FORSTER (Astbury, Cheshire AND Canada AND U.S.A.) BRIGHT (London) ROWLAND (Essex and Hampshire) SEWARD (Petersfield, Hampshire) BAILEY/ BROWN (Biddulph, Staffordshire)

Offline SueK50

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 20:40 GMT (UK) »
I think you'll find that what is being looked at on FindMyPast is just the Royal Marine Medal Roll - not service records

I'm pretty sure the wording just means that Jack Marshall who was responsible for putting together this record and the Royal Naval Division Casualties database has provided additional information that is on the transcription from his research  that isn't obvious from the medal roll

Up to you whether you download from the NA or not - unfortunately you might find that as  he served again in WW2 his WW1 records may have been combined with them (they did for Army men) and as they are not yet in the public domain they have to be applied for via MoD/Veterans UK

Info starts here - http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/AboutDefence/WhatWeDo/Personnel/ServiceRecords/MakingARequestForInformationHeldOnThePersonnelRecordsOfDeceasedServicePersonnel.htm

Cheers
Sue

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 21:13 GMT (UK) »
He did serve in WW2 - he was recalled and was a POW in WW2.

Thank you for your help.   

Sue