Author Topic: Huggins-Hogan in Cork>>>>Complete for time being thanks to you all<<<<<  (Read 12239 times)

Offline suzyvan

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Huggins-Hogan in Cork
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 26 December 10 09:24 GMT (UK) »
hank you again ftcorkmdb

Can I ask where you got all this information? and are Irish certificates the same as English ones  only giving fathers name no mothers maiden name?

Thanks again
Suzy

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 26 December 10 09:43 GMT (UK) »
are Irish certificates the same as English ones  only giving fathers name no mothers maiden name?

full registration started in 1864, so there are only birth certs from that date on. Civil birth certs contain the same details as English ones, so do contain mother full name, the detail included in earlier parish record varies quite a bit, with earlier record generally containing less information. RC baptism records usually include mother's maiden surname.

Details included on a Birth Cert

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline ftcorkmdb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 26 December 10 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Mary (I assume) and I have found those records on the website irishgenealogy.ie.  For Richard's baptism in 1818, put 'Rich* Huggins' in the search box for the name and 1818 in the box for the year, and you will get Richard Huggins, son of William Huggins and Catherine Cogan.  For the baptisms of Richard's siblings, put 'William Huggins' in the name box.  Also try 'William Hogan'.  I can't rmember if I found them under Huggins or Hogan, so you will have to try both.  As for the marriage of William to Catherine Cogan, I have a database that covers marriages and baptisms for Passage West from 1795 to 1880.  Send me a 'Personal Message', and I can send you information on the Cogans, to whom I am related.  Frank Thompson / NYC

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Allihies, West Cork, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 26 December 10 12:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi folks,

Yeah I did find the records on www.irishgenealogy.ie .  The amazing thing about this site, I think, is that you can see the actual entry in the church register.

Suzy , you seem to have had a lot of the information yourself which was a great help.  As Shane said civil records only started in 1864 so any birth, marriages or death records were held in the churches.
It would be entirely up to yourself if you felt it would be worth getting them.

As Frank mentioned go into www.irishgenealogy.ie then key in the surname Huggins and place Cork
and you get 294 baptisms and 58 marriages.  You can narrow the search by putting in the christian name also.   You might find even more ancestors!!!

Interestingly for the baptisms of Catherine and John Huggins their addresses are given.  Did all of this family emigrate to Australia or might some of them have stayed in Ireland?    You could even have some living relations still in Cork.

At least you have confirmed some of the information you already have which is a bonus.

Mary
Celtic Liberty
Bradfield, Buckley, Capels,Cronin, Desmond, Leonard, Lombard,Mullins, O'Brien,

Offline suzyvan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 29 December 10 12:11 GMT (UK) »
celtic liberty
I am unaware of who else came to Australia, we only know of John and Elizabeth Huggins/Hogin and their children.

I have been printing the parish records but they are almost illegible......lucky they have been transcribed.

Thanks for your help, was a brick wall one day and blown open the next!

Suzy

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Allihies, West Cork, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 29 December 10 13:48 GMT (UK) »

You are welcome, if we can be of any more assistance just ask.

Everybody on rootschat is willing to help and we all enjoy the searches.

Happy New Year

Mary
Celtic Liberty
Bradfield, Buckley, Capels,Cronin, Desmond, Leonard, Lombard,Mullins, O'Brien,

Offline loudam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Huggins-Hogan in Cork>>>>Complete for time being thanks to you all<<<<<
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 07 December 14 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Suzy

I know this is an old thread but I think I may have a Huggins from Douglas Road area of Cork City and was wondering if you or any member of your family had done a DNA test???

Louise
O Riordan/Riordan / Dorgan/ Barry (Cork & Rathcooney)
O Sullivan & O Shea/Shea (Cork)
O Connell (Cork)
Walsh (Cork & Killarney)
Baldwin & Stanton, Sullivan, (Cork)
Lonergan (Cork, Tipperary, Limerick)
Deady ( Cork-Kanturk)

Offline suzyvan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Huggins-Hogan in Cork>>>>Complete for time being thanks to you all<<<<<
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 11 December 14 07:58 GMT (UK) »