Author Topic: James Gray c1828  (Read 4150 times)

Offline WAY1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: James Gray c1828
« Reply #9 on: Monday 06 December 10 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
I just used the Beta familysearch site and I think I have discovered a negative! It's too much of a coincidence. Any observations welcome. I still have the original problem - an illegitimate James Gray born Shoreditch, Middlesex c1828 who was in Purton Wiltshire by1849 - maybe earlier (1841)!
Cheers,
D

Copyright material removed

Offline WAY1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: James Gray c1828 +Gower link
« Reply #10 on: Friday 14 January 11 16:09 GMT (UK) »
I have  located a marriage of Catherine Gray (James's presumed mother) to a William Gower(of full age) on 14th February 1839 at St George's Hanover Square. William was a coachman. Their first and only child William was born in Christchurch, Marylebone in the same year.

According to the marriage certificate William's father Walter Gower was a butcher. Does anyone have access to Trade Directories for London around 1839 so that I can trace the Gower link? I have had no luck searching for Walter or even a baptism for a William Gower with a father called Walter.
Many thanks.
D

Offline WAY1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 11:50 BST (UK) »
I have  the proverbial brick wall now. No further thoughts on the middle name but I am quite happy that James's mother was Catherine Gray from Purton, Wiltshire daughter of Samuel Gray and Hannah Stroud. It was they who would eventually bring James up as their son.

Catherine's Edmonton address shown on the parish register doesn't match the 1861 census record that says James was actually born in Shoreditch c 1828.  Would I be able to locate a bastardy order for the birth? Who might hold a record from December 1827 for Edmonton or Lambeth or more importantly Shoreditch?

The parish record is confusing as the baptism appears twice in Ancestry records: 
James Irmaldnforfre Gray 16 Jan 1828 Catharine Gray Lambeth, ST MARY ,LAMBETH

James Gray, 16 Jan 1828, Catharine Gray, Lambeth, ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, LAMBETH

Any thoughts appreciated.
D.

Offline WAY1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 29 April 12 14:40 BST (UK) »
Any thoughts on the name Leonard Fesse as a possible translation of the Irmaldn Forfre transcription? A person of that name does exist and there are Wiltshire and Middlesex links and even a potential French Connection with an Adelaide Mary Audibert. I'm probably going in the wrong diection again  but until I can check the records of the Lying in Hospital this is the closest I've got
Derek

Offline WAY1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 03 May 12 20:52 BST (UK) »
James Irmaldnforfre Gray bapt,16 Jan 1828 at St John the Evangelist (Waterloo), mother Catharine Gray of Edmonton, Lambeth  James's birth is recorded in the margin as 28th December 1827.

Sorry previous email ref to middle name transcription should read Leonard Jesse
probably born c1812 in North Newnton, Wiltshire. He married Teresa Perry on 5th Oct 1847 at St. Paul, Hammersmith, Middlesex.

Offline WAY1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 21 January 14 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Just to update this research.
 Irma DUFOSSÉ:   Born 15 February 1806 (Saturday) - Saint Quentin, Aisne, Picardie, France, died 4 October 1866 (Thursday) - Bourbourg Campagne, Nord, Nord-Pas-de-Calais, France age: 60.(teacher in Bourbourg 1835,Professor in Paris en 1846 , teacher in 1855 in Bourbourg, Annuitant in Looberghe (near Bourbourg in 1856), was very likely the father of James Gray.  i.e. for the middle name Irmaldnforfre read Irma Dufosse. Via an earlier marriage of his father Jean Baptiste Marc Dufosse to a Marie-Louise, Rosalie DEPERSIN, there is a family link to a Ferdinand Monteuuis (Montennis) who married Elisabeth Firminger, cousin of Dr Thomas Firminger in St Pancras 1819. Monteuuis ran a school in Bourbourg and placed adverts in the London Press to attract English students. Irma (a widower and linguist) married a Mary Kate Knight (a widow nee Mason) in St Pancras 1853. I doubt whether I will ever prove that Irma Dufosse was in Edmonton in 1827 but as he was an educationalist and Monteuuis says in one of his adverts in 1831 "he spent five years as an Assistant at an eminent seminary in the vicinity of London", possibly Firminger's first school in St Pancras,  I'm reasonably content at last. Thanks mainly to a query in Family Tree Magazine and a particularly helpful Freereg translator who responded and a French Geneanet subscriber and of course to Rootschat members for offering suggestions in the first place.