Author Topic: 1888 Birth of Gt Uncle Charles  (Read 7850 times)

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1888 Birth of Gt Uncle Charles
« Reply #9 on: Monday 06 December 10 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Bingo
https://beta.familysearch.org/
Birth: Peter Charles M'Shane M'Devitt, Apr - Jun 1887 Belfast Registration District, Volume 1, Page 336

now take Aghadoweys advice, good luck, Jim
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline mona lisa

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 06 December 10 21:32 GMT (UK) »
well thanks to you both Aghad and Ballyt....just as a curiousity...would it have mattered  if Charles had been born in Co Down and registered in Belfast ???

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 07 December 10 08:49 GMT (UK) »
No it doesn’t matter so long as you got registered. Christening or baptism would be different.  I can sense you know much more about the area than I, but i couldnt resist a peep. So looking again at some of your information,  eg in 1863 in Tullylish civil parish, and wondered if you knew there is only one household each listed, for Armstrong and Valentine.  Both are in Loughans Townland. One in Anne Street, the other (Cochrane's Row) I think this means both are within Gilford town itself .  at the same time Patrick  Mcshane  lives nearby in Kernan, Lower townland
see www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.
See also the townland map  for Tullylish http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/MAPS/TullylishTownlands.htm
Good luck onwards
worldwide

Offline mona lisa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 07 December 10 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ballyalt.....One of my great Aunts is Susanna Theresa Templeton McD. I  noted  3 Templeton Families in the Co Down Kilpike Banbridge Rural
Another gtaunt Jessie Florence Miller McD.The eldest gtaunt born 1868 Katherine White McD as her christian names. One of the gtuncles was a James Closky McD.
I note when I'm looking over the Census these surnames but no idea of how they connect.  Glasgow 1851 Census has both my Valentine wife Hannah as being born in Co Armagh  Seago and a William Armstrong as Co Armagh Drumin. So it appears Armagh as well as Down are close by that people had families on either border areas. My Granny maintained that the Joyces of Drumlyn were kin . My own granny was named Elizabeth Duff McD....it so happened that I came across the Glasgow 1859 Death Reg of my gtgtgrda Valentine Armstrong whose wife was Hannah Miller possibly Johnstone. Elizabeth Duff  nee Houston was his informant and lists herself as a half sister to Valentine.  Both Valentine and wife Hannah are  now deceased. My Gtgranny Isabella is 9 years of age and appears in the 1861 Glasgow Census with her Aunt Mary Miller aged  ca 41 born Ireland. Gtgtgrda Valentine Armstrong is in 1841 Glasgow aged 21. I think he came to Glasgow as he is now adult and his father Graham Armstrong a Spirits Merchant is deceased.  I think in looking over a hard to read a 2nd Marriage of Valentine Register  that Eoin Graham Armstrong is what gtgtgrdad name is. Graham's wife Isabella Joyce now marrying 2ndly John Houston  occ Spirits Merchant.  GtGrparents John + Isabella McD 1877 the family has returned to Ireland.  I was given brief info that 1892 M'Devitt Kate Marriage to M'Clean John in Belfast Two of my granny's sisters Kate and Mary remained in Ireland.  My John McD gtgrda died ca 1900
 Hope this is clear rather than confusing. Different people have warned to be brief when relaying information as others just take note of it and never reply.

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 08 December 10 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Using PRONI county parish maps, i found i could line up with difficulty the borders of County Armagh and Down showing how
67 Tullylish parish, Co Down neighbours 
26 Seagoe  (Co. Armagh)
17 Kilmore (Co. Armagh)
i think you roots are correct in thinking of they are all in same little neighbourhood
worldwide

Offline mona lisa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 08 December 10 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Wow....thats a lot of bordering neighbours! Thanks.

Prior to 1840's/50's are there any directory or parish records or user friendly sources for me to locate my greatgreats?

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 09 December 10 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Ros Davies website see above, under her church section, has entries under many parishes like under Tullylish several churches, she includes
Gilford Catholic Church- St. John the Evangelist
in Castle Hill
PRONI,NLI & LDS have baptisms , marriages & burials 1833-1856; UHF has baptisms ,marriages & burials 1853 -1900; Catholics were buried in St. Colmans, Lawrencetown
worldwide

Offline mona lisa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 02 January 11 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the Additional information Ballyk  :D