Author Topic: RUDIS 1871 Austrian subject’s birthplace in 1901 Census  (Read 2387 times)

Offline Yerburgh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
RUDIS 1871 Austrian subject’s birthplace in 1901 Census
« on: Wednesday 01 December 10 10:27 GMT (UK) »
I am helping our ‘builder’ to trace his grandfather’s birthplace.
The birthplace of his grand-father, Joseph Dittrich.is given as Rűdis (Autrian subject) in the 1901 UK Census ( and as Rudis in 1910). Could the Census maker have put this name as short for Rűderdorf? Any suggestions most welcome. Peter.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: RUDIS 1871 Austrian subject’s birthplace in 1901 Census
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 11:41 GMT (UK) »
It would be unusual I think to see a shortened place name, and if you have the same spelling on the 1901 and 1911 (or on some other document in 1910?), it suggests that the place was "Rudis" or something that sounded pretty close to that.

Do you know if Joseph ever became a British subject?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Yerburgh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 11:56 GMT (UK) »
RUDIS. Joseph Dittrich married an English girl in 1899 but the 1911 census he is still an Austrian subject, born in Rudis. I don't know what happened to him during World War I but he opened a hardware stores in Hastings in 1923. How could I find out if he became a naturalised UK citizen? Peter.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 14:04 GMT (UK) »
The National Archives catalogue shows a J. W. Dittrich b. 9.12.1874 who naturalised sometime in the 1940s, does that fit at all?

Considering that at this time "Austrian subject" would have meant someone from Austria-Hungary, you might have to consider places outside what is modern-day Austria.  "Rudice", possibly? (there's a place by this name in modern-day Czech Republic which would have have been part of Austria-Hungary at the time).

Offline Yerburgh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 15:56 GMT (UK) »
RUDIS. Thank you for the helpful suggestion about Rudice being a possibility. I got a German friend to pronounce that place and it sounded like Roode' say. However, there was another Croatian village called Rdes. In 1870, it was 2 miles from Zagreb but is today inside that city. So I will follow up both places as possibilities.

Offline Yerburgh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 16:09 GMT (UK) »
I thank you for the information about the 'naturalization' of a J.W. Dittrich born in 1874. He may well be the man I am seeking. Could you kindly advise me as to which part of the National Archives I would have to go to find out more. Thanks, Peter.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 16:19 GMT (UK) »
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/
 - if you search here you will see the file. You would have to contact the National Archives to see about gaining access to it - or rather, the relatives probably should directly as it is currently closed and to get access you will need to make a FOI request (whether they can tell you if it refers to a Joseph I'm not sure but it's worth a go).

Offline Yerburgh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Very many thanks for all your help. I will get 'my builder' (Bernard Dittrich) to make appication for information about J.W.Dittrich. He will be as amazed as I am to have found such generous help in such a short space of time! I will keep the thread going for two more days in case I get some more light on RUDIS. Adieu, Peter.

Offline Yerburgh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 13:36 GMT (UK) »
The Naturalization document shows that J.W.Dittrich was born in Radis in Czechoslovakia in 1874. This place was then part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Today Radis is probably Radice which is 30 miles south of Prague. Thanks for help on this topic. I will close this thread. Peter Yerburgh.