Author Topic: Family Tree  (Read 3886 times)

Offline hamali

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Family Tree
« on: Wednesday 01 December 10 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

Can anybody help my great grandad was christened  in Calcutta India and it tell me his dad name William Hamilton and mum is down as Caroline. How do I find out why they where over there. And how do I find the mother maiden name at all.

Any help would be great thank you  :)

Offline geniecolgan

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Family Tree
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hamali,

do you know that date of your gt. grandad's birth?
It would help narrowing your search.
There is a good possibilty that William Hamilton was in the army and that's why they were in Calcutta.

genie
"All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline hamali

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

Henry was born on a ship called the repulse on the 31 dec 1838 then they must of got to Calcutta as he is christened on the 30th june 1839.

I know by 1841 he is back in England but Henry is in a home for kids so dont know what happened to mum and dad.

Would love to solve the missing pieces

Offline squiggle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi hamali,

There is a William Hamilton buried on the 15th Nov 1840 Calcutta, Bengal on the familysearch beta site, he was aged 23.

As occupation it says Supt. Mayapore Magazine.

Maybe worth a look!

Becky

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 18:15 GMT (UK) »
I had a look on FamilySearch pilot and found two possible marriages for William Hamilton  for that time period --

Caroline Cowles married 4 April 1831 Liverpool or

Caroline Johnson married 12 May 1835 at St James, Westminster

If the one buried in Calcutta is the same man then the second one is the most likely. It would also explain Henry being back in England so soon. Life expectancy for Europeans in India was not great, many falling victim to cholera, malaria, dysentry, and many other diseases.

Does that help?

Tony
Lynn:- Shelton, Edwards, Looker, Platt, Ames, Bagley, Cadman, Cokes, Edmunds, Seymour, Waldren, Mulloy, Cockin/Cockayne

Tony:- Davies, Murphy, Kidd, Elwell, Pither, Roper, Marshall, Whelan, Lycett, Farley, Turner, Rhodes

Offline hamali

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 December 10 08:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

Thanks Tony for that can you tell me what site to go for this and how can I make sure I have the right William that died in Calcutta and how would I go about finding about the mother Caroline Johnson at all.

Thanks everybody for help this is great :D

Offline hamali

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 December 10 10:54 GMT (UK) »
I had a look on FamilySearch pilot and found two possible marriages for William Hamilton  for that time period --

Caroline Cowles married 4 April 1831 Liverpool or

Caroline Johnson married 12 May 1835 at St James, Westminster

If the one buried in Calcutta is the same man then the second one is the most likely. It would also explain Henry being back in England so soon. Life expectancy for Europeans in India was not great, many falling victim to cholera, malaria, dysentry, and many other diseases.

Does that help?

Tony
Thanks tony for this I have now come to same that I am going with that he married Caroline Johnson how do I go about finding why they was in India at all ???? any help would be lovely  :)

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 December 10 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The site I used is
 http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#start

As for why they were in India depends on what William's occupation was. As previously suggested by Becky (squiggle) there is a reference to a death citing Supt. Mayapore Magazine. I think this is an army reference rather than a magazine for reading. So there is a possiblity that he was an army man working for the East India Company.
What you have to bear in mind here is that the East India Company that basically ran India until 1858 when the British Crown took over.

For Caroline Johnson you do have a slight problem as there were lots of Caroline Johnsons of marriagable age at that time in the London area!
Not being familiar with London, I don't know which areas would be adjacent to St James in Westminster.

Tony

ADDED Another thought! You say Henry was born on the Repulse. Have you seen the passenger list for the voyage? I just wondered if William's occupation may have been recorded against his name.
Lynn:- Shelton, Edwards, Looker, Platt, Ames, Bagley, Cadman, Cokes, Edmunds, Seymour, Waldren, Mulloy, Cockin/Cockayne

Tony:- Davies, Murphy, Kidd, Elwell, Pither, Roper, Marshall, Whelan, Lycett, Farley, Turner, Rhodes

Offline hamali

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 02 December 10 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi there tony

on one site it says that William Hamilton was a Valet & Groom at HAmpton Court.

I have been on a site called FIBIS but have found nothing as yet still hunting.

Do you know any sites I can try and find William and Caroline on a passenger list at all. I just keep coming up a blank not very good at this  :)

Thanks Ali