Author Topic: Old Bible Challenge - CLARKE family  (Read 37446 times)

Offline blsmith

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Old Bible Challenge - CLARKE family
« Reply #144 on: Sunday 02 March 14 05:41 GMT (UK) »
Re: James Rutherford Black.
I have been researching James Black who arrived on the Coromandel in South Australia in 1837.
James came with his wife, Caroline Whistle or Whistlecroft and with  2 others: Thomas Black and wife, and William Edwin Black, and wife, and a daughter.
James had a son, James Rutherford or Rotherford, Black amongst other children.  I did find James had lived at Arkaba, in the mid. north of SA, and died aged 35 in Adelaide.

I am trying to decide at this time if the 3 men are brothers, but some evidence suggests they were half brothers.  Thomas Black was born in Ayrshire, Scotland c 1804.  (Found in the Adelaide Hospital records).  William Edwin Black went through an adult baptism in London in 1835, before emigration, and before marriage, but I don't know where he was born.
William E Black married Caroline Elizabeth Warren (his second wife) in Adelaide, at Clanfergeal, under the Scottish Rites and Ceremonies, after Banns.
Thomas married Hephzibah Whistlecroft or Whistle in Adelaide.  It was posssibly his second marriage, and under similar conditions to William Black.  It suggests William was also born in Scotland.  James has used the name Rutherford for his son.  It suggests that his father remarried, and William Edwin has John Black as his father, while his mother is named Margaret Black, on  his baptism certificate which was found carried out at St Andrews, Holborn, Middlesex.
  Lots of info is missing at this time, but I am slowly piecing things together.
James Black's origins in Australia start in South Australia near the old gum tree. Coromandel was the first ship into Glenelg in 1837, I am led to believe.   b.smith

Offline Lynn Pedvin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Old Bible Challenge - CLARKE family
« Reply #145 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 05:17 BST (UK) »
What a great outcome!