Author Topic: The Children of Daniel McBride SCOTT  (Read 16993 times)

Offline aniph

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Children of Daniel McBride SCOTT
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 04 December 10 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue,
Sorry about that - I just thought that as I was seeking the daughter of Alice, I didn't think Alice's parents were relevant - but, of course, all information is important.
Alice was listed on the death certificates of both parents, and I have the baptism record for Alice Helena Upton in Young on 31st January 1872.
Shakel
e
HHmm odd so she wasAlice Helena not Alice Eleanor?
Phillips Galway>NZ
Flanagan Queens County>VIC>NZ
Bullock Bristol>Aus
Bury Shropshire>Aus
Maher Kings County>Aus
Pavletich Croatia>VIC>NZ
Delargy  Antrim & NZ

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 04 December 10 12:02 GMT (UK) »
It is not uncommon for Helena and Eleanor used for the same person. Like Jane/Jean and Anna/Hannah/Johanna used interchangeably.

Essie

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 04 December 10 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Trying to draw implications from the letter.

When Martha wrote the note in 1907 she was 23  in Sydney.

LILY is living with or near GRANNY.
Which Granny?
Granny Martha did not die until 1917. So it  could be her in Victoria.

Granny Margaret? SHAKEL, when did Margaet Upton die?

"MUM" refers to the mother of both LILY and MARTHA (the note's author)
If MUM, in regard to the letter,has to "send it back" she is not living with or near Martha who has mailed it to her to read.

I wonder who is SA who sent the letter from Kimberley .

There is Samuel (born 1872)who would be the uncle of the girls.

Whoever SA was he/she was obviously of interest to the whole family.

Just thoughts :D

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shakel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 04 December 10 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue,
Funny how we all interpret things differently.........
I received a letter from SA yesterday. He is in Kimberley. I will send the letter on to Granny when mum sends it back.
I always assumed that "SA" was South Australia.....meaning - "he" is in Kimberley, South Australia.. :o
Just checked Google, and I can't find a place - Kimberley in SA, so you must be on the right track with SA being initials of someone.
Margaret Upton (nee Connelly), the girl's maternal grandmother, was living in Young, up until 1914, then she moved to Albury, and was there until her death in 1922.
Shakel

Offline LenHill372

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 14 May 11 06:55 BST (UK) »
Hi
Came across your listings today on Daniel McBride Scott and Alice Eleanor Upton (married 16 December Temora NSW). I have searched for many years trying to find their deaths.  This what I have on Daniel's parents: Martha's McBride's parents were married on Friday the 27 June 1828 at Dundonald County Ayrshire Scotland. Two siblings of Martha's have been traced, William Dues, born c1832 Irving Ayrshire Scotland. William migrated to Australia as an unassisted passenger on the Sailing ship ELEUTHERIA which left Glasgow Scotland on the 1st August 1853 and arrived in the port of Melbourne on the 5th January 1854 with 23 fellow passengers.No further information could be found on William. Daniel born c1838,Irving Ayrshire Scotland, never married. On his death certificate it stated that he was in New Zealand for 20 years and then 9 years in Victoria. he died in South Preston Victoria on Tuesday 14 October 1884 and buried at the Coburg Cemetery Victoria the following day.
Martha had four children to Andrew Thorburn whom she married at Daylesford on 28 November 1876 after being informed of Robert Newton Scott death in June 1875. The children were Thomas 1865, Martha 1866, Andrew 1869 and Samuel 1872. Martha had registered the births of the three youngest children under Roberts name. It appears that Robert had left Martha before their son Samuel's drowning in 1865, possibly in pursuit of pastoral teachings overseas.   

Offline shakel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 15 May 11 07:04 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Thanks for your input.
I still have not found Daniel and Alice's death, however, I am still looking!!!
I come down through Alice Upton's line, so my knowledge of the McBride/Scott line is limited other than the information given to me by the very helpful Rootschatters. Do you have a connection with this family?
Shakel

Offline TEDED

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 07:11 BST (UK) »
Martha Margaret Scott (eldest daughter of Daniel McBride SCOTT and Alice Eleanor SCOTT (nee UPTON) ) is my father's mother. Our family researchers have  not been able to find the death dates and burial places of my great-grandparents. My grandmother met my grandfather in the Cobar/Nymagee area between 1907 and 1910 ( I have the love poems they wrote to each other during their courtship). From what I'm led to believe, she was working as a housemaid in a hotel at Nymagee( there were 5 in the town at the time) that was owned by a relative. The place of residence on her marriage certificate shows BARMEDMAN  NSW. So maybe her parents had left the Barmedman area after being there for at least 20 years or so. So where and when Daniel and Alice died is still a mystery.

Offline TEDED

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 07:23 BST (UK) »
My grandmother (Martha Margaret Scott) would have been 23 in 1907. She always called her sister Lil so I assume that is her younger sister Agnes Maud. Lil never married and was in the Salvation Army. I remember going with my grandmother and visiting "LIL". I have photos of my grandmother and Lil in latter life and they certainly share common looks and build.  TEDED

Offline LenHill372

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 12:11 BST (UK) »
Hi
Iam the G,G, Grandson of Robert Newton Scott & Martha McBride (the parents of Daniel McBride Scott). The mention of Kimberley S.A is most likely South Africa as Robert Newton Scott's brothers were Wesleyan Missionarie there. George Scott Railton, the first Lieutenant of the Salvation Army was their cousin. My G,G,G,Grandfather Reverend George Scott DD was posted to Sweden from 1831-1842, were my G.G,Grandfather was born on the  12 August 1834 in Stockholm. I have prints of George Soott im younger years and later years taken from books that I have collected.