Author Topic: The Children of Daniel McBride SCOTT  (Read 17001 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: The Children of Daniel McBride SCOTT
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 01 June 11 06:14 BST (UK) »
Hi
Hope someone can solve the mystery of Lily Scott.

I recently found a photo of Martha with a young lady similar in age. They were both dressed the same. On the back was written - dated Sydney 1907....

Dear Lily,
from your affectionate sister
Martha

Obviously Martha was sending her sister the photo of the two of them.
But.....who is Lily??????
I can't find any birth, marriage or death for her.
Hope someone can help
Shakel

Possibly found Lily SCOTT, mentioned as a sister to Martha and also to Jack ... SMH 23 Nov 1922 re Mabel Marie Wall.   See the other thread.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline shakel

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday 01 June 11 09:50 BST (UK) »
Yes majm, she has been found - also her mother, Alice - this family is starting to come together for me - thanks to all of you!!
Dare we ask again where Daniel could be????
Shakel

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 01 June 11 10:04 BST (UK) »
Re Daniel McBride Scott ...

It would be worthwhile following the sighting that Jenn noted for you.   This probate packet would be at the Kingswood (near Penrith) NSW archives, and although the Index has A.G. for the intials it could well be simply a transcript error caused by difficulty in reading the handwriting on the file. 

You had mentioned that Daniel may have gone to Africa as a missionary.    What was/were his occupations when in Australia? (should be on his m.c., and on the b.c.s for his children)

Cheers,  JM

http://srwww.records.nsw.gov.au/indexes/searchform.aspx?id=15
SRO (state Records of New south Wales)  has a will for an A G Scott died in South Africa19/5/1909
Jenn
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 01 June 11 10:16 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Re Daniel ... this is the link for the South Africa Board here at RChat...  fingers crossed this will help

Cheers,  JM

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,291.0.html and their thread re useful sites

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,26246.0.html

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 01 June 11 10:25 BST (UK) »
I have now had a read of the posts on this thread

Have you considered that 'SA' could be pointing to Kimberley, Northern Cape, South Africa  (SA being South Africa rather than South Australia or the initials for a person)  If that letter was referring to Daniel, then it could be saying in effect that HE IS IN KIMBERLEY SOUTH AFRICA in June 1907 

Sydney, June 27, 1907.
Dear Lily,
Did you get a letter from me last week with PM 10 shillings in it? I feel a bit anxious as I did not get a letter yesterday from you. I received a letter from SA yesterday. He is in Kimberley. I will send the letter on to Granny when mum sends it back.
Love to you and Gran.
From your affectionate sister,
Martha

Shakel

Cheers,  JM

Offline TEDED

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Thursday 02 June 11 01:45 BST (UK) »
Yes, that's what I've reckoned ever since I joined this group on advice of my youngest sister, as I 've  better recollections of my grandmother ( Martha Margaret) and her sister Lil (Agnes Maud). Daniel McBride Scott already had cousins and uncles doing Wesleyan missionary work in that area of South Africa. My sister is trying to trace where  and when Daniel left Australia. His father, Robert Newton Scott, did the same thing,  leaving his family to go overseas on missionary work, though he was found buried in Easingwold, Yorkshire in June 1875. That's why Daniel's mother remarried and became a Thorburn. I've done a few searches in South Africa  but found nothing yet.  TEDED

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Thursday 02 June 11 02:44 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

If this were my own family, I would be seeking the NSW probate packet that Jenn posted at reply 51.

The index shows that the date of death was recorded as 19 May 1909 and that South Africa features in the Probate file, with Probate granted in the NSW courts and duty paid 16 October 1911.   The delay to me suggests either a large estate, perhaps with property in both NSW and SA, or a dispute over probate.

Probate packets often contain much more than just a will and a sheet of adminstration disposal.  In my own family researchings I have found such treasures as BDM certs, newspaper cuttings, Gazette notices, Supreme Court statements with witness signatures showing females married surnames, the addresses of the witnesses etc.  Of course, sometimes the probate packets have very little in them.  BUT with South Africa mentioned and the estate dealt with in the NSW Supreme Court sometime around 1909-1911, and the surname SCOTT, that packet would be very high on my MUST DO list. 

I notice there is now an option to online order photocopies of these Deceased Estates.  "Photocopies: The cost varies according to the size/format of the record"

http://srwww.records.nsw.gov.au/indexsearch/keyname.aspx  or http://srwww.records.nsw.gov.au/indexes/searchform.aspx?id=15 (use the surname SCOTT and locality SOUTH AFRICA should get you straight there and offer you the checkout option.

If it is easy to get to the Kingswood Archives of any of your family,  I can assure you the staff are very knowledgeable, and the probate packets are retrieved within about an hour.  You can then decide which of the pages in the packet (or all the pages), you would like copied. 

Cheers,  JM

Offline TEDED

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Thursday 02 June 11 03:09 BST (UK) »
That is for the estate of an "A.G Scott".  We are looking for a D.M Scott. Tjanks for the hints. TEDED

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Thursday 02 June 11 04:01 BST (UK) »
Yes, I realise the online INDEX shows this as for the deceased estate of A G Scott.  Yes, I realise you are looking for D M Scott... :)  :)  :)  It is of course entirely possible that the index has a transcription error. The Indexers do their very best, but sometimes there's very faint writing to transcribe.  The details on these probate packets COVERS  are all HANDWRITTEN in ink and over time the ink has faded away. As these packets were not stored at the Archives at Kingswood when they were first probated, then it is entirely probable that there could be fading on the covers.  The Probate packets are sealed under the old wax system. If no one has previously sought access to that packet, then the wax seal will still be present.  The indexers did not open the packets, they indexed from the information on the front cover.

I do feel that as there is some thoughts that DMcS went to Sth Africa from either NSW or Vic, and that he was known to be in SA in June 1907, and that the NSW SRO has mention of that surname and SA and 1909-1911 that it should be on the MUST DO list ....  if only to eliminate the SA connection .....  A G can fade away from D M'B  (the " ' " being the handwritten way in that era to show the "c" ....  The 19th Century flourishes in the fountain pen with Up stroke and Down stroke can be overlooked ....  And Upstrokes fade away quicker than Downstrokes.  Also the amount of ink on the nib affects the rate of deterioration into the pages of those legal papers.

The typewriter came late to the NSW Court System. 

And of course, Alice's surname would not have been found without some outside the square seachings ....  ;D  ;D  ;D

Cheers,  JM