Author Topic: Extreme Longshot  (Read 3903 times)

Offline cdn1972

• RootsChat Extra
  • Researching Leahy-Crawford-Malone
    • View Profile
Extreme Longshot
« on: Friday 03 December 10 16:04 GMT (UK) »
I found out from a family member that visited Ireland on a genealogy search that our Leahy family came from Tipperary and moved to Cork then Canada in 1825. I have no clue where in Tipperary but Michael leahy was born in 1769. He was RC and started a family in Cork in 1793. He married Mary Burgess.
Are there any records from this time frame available for me to start looking?
I know some areas of Ireland have records that date further back then others.
Kevin Leahy
Leahy- Mitchelstown-1825
Crawford-Lurgan-1850 - 1899
Malone- 1794-1850

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Extreme Longshot
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 December 10 16:09 GMT (UK) »
You can view RC parish maps on the Irish Times website - see : RC Parishes Ireland

Click on the county required and then the individual parishes to see dates available. Tipperary is divided in to two sections North and South Riding.

Not many rural RC parishes will have records going back to 1769, so knowing the parish is quite important or you could end up following the wrong Leahy family..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 December 10 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Some of these go back to 1700's for Leahys in Cork  http://www.rootschat.com/links/0amd/
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline kricha1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 January 11 00:39 GMT (UK) »
I am going to assume you are from Douro, ON, Canada area.  I live in Peterborough, ON & the following info is only part of the documentation in a book by Carol Bennett called "1825 Peter Robinson's Settlers".  I purchased my copy from KARA..Kawartha Ancestral Research Association.

Michael Leahy  50
Ship:            Fortitude, 1825
Origin:         Brigown, Cork
Family:         Mary, 50 (nee Burgess)
Patrick          23  (m Bridget Condon)
Timothy        19  (m Catherine Sullivan)
David            17  (m Johanna Connors)
Dennis          15  (m Mary Moher)
Ellen             14
Abigail          13   (m Patrick Sheehan)
Judith            6    (m Henry Sheehan)
William         28  (m 1. Anne Meehan: 2. Ellen Walsh)
John             25  (m Johanna Tobin)

Ellen Burgess, Mary's widowed mother, also came to Canada.  Michael Leahy's sons were given lots in Douro Twp but they all lived with him at first.  There is considerably more in the write-up as well as photos...and you obviously come from a very talented musical family. Let me know if you are not able to purchase the book and I'll sent you the rest of the recorded history.  KARA is located on High St. in Peterborough. Just let me know if you need any further info.

Kathy

Offline cdn1972

• RootsChat Extra
  • Researching Leahy-Crawford-Malone
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 January 11 02:45 GMT (UK) »
I am going to assume you are from Douro, ON, Canada area.  I live in Peterborough, ON & the following info is only part of the documentation in a book by Carol Bennett called "1825 Peter Robinson's Settlers".  I purchased my copy from KARA..Kawartha Ancestral Research Association.

Michael Leahy  50
Ship:            Fortitude, 1825
Origin:         Brigown, Cork
Family:         Mary, 50 (nee Burgess)
Patrick          23  (m Bridget Condon)
Timothy        19  (m Catherine Sullivan)
David            17  (m Johanna Connors)
Dennis          15  (m Mary Moher)
Ellen             14
Abigail          13   (m Patrick Sheehan)
Judith            6    (m Henry Sheehan)
William         28  (m 1. Anne Meehan: 2. Ellen Walsh)
John             25  (m Johanna Tobin)

Ellen Burgess, Mary's widowed mother, also came to Canada.  Michael Leahy's sons were given lots in Douro Twp but they all lived with him at first.  There is considerably more in the write-up as well as photos...and you obviously come from a very talented musical family. Let me know if you are not able to purchase the book and I'll sent you the rest of the recorded history.  KARA is located on High St. in Peterborough. Just let me know if you need any further info.

Kathy

thanks Kathy
Yes your information is correct and I have that book as well as others on the Irish flood to Canada between 1823 and 1900. You are correct I have a very talented extended family and my youngest daughter competitive Irish dances at a high level. The point of this post was to find out the chance of finding the area the Leahy's may have lived prior to Mitchelstown. Thank you for the offer to help in Peterborough. The real problem for me is being able to track back prior to 1823 in Ireland and if I find any information trying to find someone there who knows the areas well enough to locate the original lands with the last 200 or so years of changes.
Leahy- Mitchelstown-1825
Crawford-Lurgan-1850 - 1899
Malone- 1794-1850