Author Topic: Stuck in Eckington  (Read 5338 times)

Offline Greenealogist

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Stuck in Eckington
« on: Saturday 04 December 10 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Until very recently nobody knew anything about my great-grandfather, John Frederick 'Johnny' Clare. He ran off and left my grandmother when she was young and went off to have another family in the same village. However, a month ago I ordered his birth certificate, which said he had been born on the 27/6/1918 at 111 Station Road, Holbrook, the son of Charles Clare and Sarah Ann Clare formerly Ellis. I ordered their marriage certificate, which I will type out below:
Tenth     Charles Clare 36 Bachelor Railway Platelayer Station Road Holbrook s.o John Clare, Carpenter
October 
1904      Sarah Ann Ellis 23 Spinster of Station Road, Holbrook, d.o James Ellis (deceased), Railway guard.
They were married at Eckington Parish Church and witnessed by William Leah and Hannah Oates.
I checked 111 Station Road on the 1911 census and it was inhabited by a Coleman family. I cannot check the other 139 houses as I am only 14 years old. I cannot find any of the couple in any census and I have absolutely no idea what railway Charles Clare or James Ellis might have worked for as I cannot find any stations in Eckington.
I am at a loss as to what to look for, and I hope someone can shed light on the situation.
Thanks
James

Offline Mort29

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck in Eckington
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 December 10 16:44 GMT (UK) »
hmmm, a knotty one young Padawan!

I see two Clare births indexed in Chesterfield pre-1912 (post 1904), so can't be sure of Mothers Maiden name for those w/o purchase.

There is a Charles H Clare 1913 in Chesterfield MMN=Ellis.

Would be good to see Charles & Sarah's PoBs, might be able to pin them down as Fathers names arent helping.

Are you aware of any pre-WW1 Military Service that might have taken the family away from the Chesterfield District?

Offline Greenealogist

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 December 10 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Searching on FreeBMD there's a Sarah Ann Ellis by Q2 1881 in East Retford, which is the most probable, all the others were very far away. This could also make sense as Retford has a major railway junction there. The only vague posibillity for Charles was born in West Derby Reg. Dist. in 1868, which is just possible.
Can't think of any pre-WWI after the Boer War, which is too early. Charles, by the way, doesn't appear to have served in WWI but that would account for the gap between a possible Charles H and my definite ancestor.
I'd love to crack this as its been a problem for years.
Thanks for you interest.
James

Offline Mort29

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 December 10 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Can't think of any pre-WWI after the Boer War, which is too early.

The Empire still needed protecting, and the Army was seen as a source of livelihood, plus you got to go and often take your Family to far flung places!

Its interesting that neither of the 2 pre-1911 births show up on a census, nor do Charles & Sarah - hence the question.

The Charles H is definate - MMN = Ellis.

Might be good to see what Chas snr's occupation was on that Cert.

Offline Greenealogist

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 December 10 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Trawling through military records can't find anything appropriate, but that's not an indicator of anything, really, ancestry's not always good for transcriptions. Which cert, on the marriage he was a Railway Platelayer and on the birth of Johnny he was 'of no occupation, formerly railway platelayer'? Wonder if the company had sacked him, seeing as he was about 50 at the time. Also, little bit of info here, Charles H Clare died in 1918. Finally, there are two Eckington stations, which were both called Eckington & Renishaw. One was the Midland Railway station, the other was on the Grand Central Railway.
James

Offline omskirk

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 December 10 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Until very recently nobody knew anything about my great-grandfather, John Frederick 'Johnny' Clare. He ran off and left my grandmother when she was young and went off to have another family in the same village. However, a month ago I ordered his birth certificate, which said he had been born on the 27/6/1918 at 111 Station Road, Holbrook, the son of Charles Clare and Sarah Ann Clare formerly Ellis. I ordered their marriage certificate, which I will type out below:
Tenth     Charles Clare 36 Bachelor Railway Platelayer Station Road Holbrook s.o John Clare, Carpenter
October 
1904      Sarah Ann Ellis 23 Spinster of Station Road, Holbrook, d.o James Ellis (deceased), Railway guard.
They were married at Eckington Parish Church and witnessed by William Leah and Hannah Oates.
I checked 111 Station Road on the 1911 census and it was inhabited by a Coleman family. I cannot check the other 139 houses as I am only 14 years old. I cannot find any of the couple in any census and I have absolutely no idea what railway Charles Clare or James Ellis might have worked for as I cannot find any stations in Eckington.
I am at a loss as to what to look for, and I hope someone can shed light on the situation.
Thanks
James

Have look on my website  www.ridgeway.org.uk I am transcribing Eckington records
Any Bowler/Boaler/Boler
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Greenealogist

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 December 10 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Omskirk
Thanks for the web link, I will look with interest
James

Offline Tuppie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Arnold Ridge Lee
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 December 10 21:12 GMT (UK) »
The Coleman family are living at  Station Road Eckington, in the 1911 census whereas the marriage certificate states Station Rd at Holbrook.

The hamlet of Holbrook is between Halfway and Killamarsh and the main rd is Station Road. (I live half a mile from this)
There was also the railway at Killamarsh which was within walking distance.

Tuppie
LEE, ROSE, Mosborough/Eckington<br />TREWEEK, HARDWICK.Cornwall/Derbyshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
www.sheffieldindexers.com

Offline Greenealogist

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 December 10 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi
The exact address given on the birth certificate is 111 Station Road, Holbrook, Eckington. The address for the Coleman family was given as 111 Station Road, Holbrook via Sheffield. Do you think they are the same, or am I being a bit dense here?
I have trawled through the Eckington site which omskirk provided me with but have been unable to find anything of relevance. Will see what I can find out about Holbrook.
Thanks
James