Author Topic: Craig Family, Please HELP!  (Read 4172 times)

Offline andrewcraig74

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Craig Family, Please HELP!
« on: Tuesday 12 April 05 23:19 BST (UK) »
I am trying desperately to find emigration (or ANY) information on Thomas Craig, and ancestors. The Westen Canadian Craig's have been extremely difficult to trace. The only information I have is his wife's name (Christian Grant Hynes), and their son's information, which is Noble John Craig, Born 17 July, 1906, Pincher Creek, Alberta, Canada. Died 04 March, 1983. Any suggestions or leads would be appreciated

Offline capricorn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Craig Family, Please HELP!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 April 05 14:29 BST (UK) »
Andrew, I found this on www.familysearch.org

IGI Individual Record     FamilySearch International Genealogical Index v5.0
     British Isles
Search Results  | Download | Pedigree

Christian Grant HYNES    
     Female         Family

Event(s):
   Birth:     
09 JUN 1882      Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
   Christening:
   Death:     
16 MAR 1955      
   Burial:

Parents:
     Father:     William HYNES    Family
     Mother:     Janet DUFF    

Marriages:
     Spouse:     Thomas CRAIG    Family
     Marriage:     
1902      Pincher Creek, Alberta, Alberta

I wonder if this could be William and Janet in 1881

Dwelling:   33 Alexandra Parade
   Census Place:   Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
   Source:   FHL Film 0203639     GRO Ref    Volume 644-3    EnumDist 47    Page 11
   Marr   Age   Sex   Birthplace
William L. HYNES   M   26    M   Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
   Rel:   Head
   Occ:   Printer Compositor
Janet HYNES   M   21    F   Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
   Rel:   Wife
   Occ:   Printers Wife

Cheers Liz
Census information Crown Copyright, from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline moscan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The next generation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 April 05 01:10 BST (UK) »
Having looked at the entry of the birth of Christian Grant Hynes the information that Liz found on the 1881 census seems correct...

Christian Grant Hynes born June 9th 1882 at 33 Alexandra Parade Glasgow, Father William Hynes a printer / compositor and Janet Hynes nee Duff who married on March 30th 1881. the birth was registered on July 14th 1882

I found the marriage Cert of William and Janet and the following is the info on that cert.

William Leitch Hynes  aged 26 Compositor son of John Stewart Hynes ( A Blacksmith) and Janet Hynes nee McIntyre

Janet Duff
  aged 21 daughter of Daniel Duff (engine fitter) deceased  and Christian Duff nee Grant
in the Free church of Scotand in the parish of  Blythswood,  Lanark

In the 1871 Census for Glasgow 245 Stirling Road

Daniel Duff aged 48 an Engine Fitter  born in Sutherland

Christian Duff aged 49 wife born in Aberdeen

Catherine Grant aged 23  daughter born in Aberdeen ( I cannot read her occupation)

William Duff aged 22  son born in Lanarkshire Glasgow - a clerk in Jewellers

George Duff aged 16  son born in Glasgow - a clerk in Jewellers

Jessie Duff aged 11 daughter born in Glasgow - scholar

Alexander Grant aged 18 nephew born in London a labourer

William Grant aged 9 nephew born in London a scholar

Henry Grant aged 8 Nephew born in London a scholar.

Daniel Duff died September 16th 1880 at 10.30 pm aged 58 years in 11 Hopetrue place in the Parish of Blackfriers in Glasgow (of Stomach Cancer ) his parents are listed as Donald Duff a farmer and Janet Duff nee Murray both deceased and the death was registered by William Duff his son

Christian Duff nee Grant died in Blars Cottage Blairmore in the district of Kilmun in Argyle on july 27th 1888 aged 66 years; at  7.55 am.
She was the widow of Daniel Duff Mechanical Engineer.  Her parents are listed as Alexander Grant - Gatekeeper and Catherine Grant nee Murray both deceased

The death was registered by William Duff her son.

Hope this helps in your search.

best wishes

Mo
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br /><br />Researching: - Freear, Walker, Aston, Scanlan, Courtney, Lowth, O’Sulivan, McDonnell, Condon, McMahon, McKay, Brock, Gourlay, Busby<br /><br />Locations: - March in Cambridgeshire, Banbury in Oxfordshire, Mileham in Norfolk, Worcester, Evesham, Claines in Worcestershire, Birmingham. Dublin, Cork, Fermanagh in Ireland.  Glasgow, Stirling in Scotland

Offline nipper56

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 February 09 06:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Moscan,
I am in Australia and have descendants of Donald Duff and his wife Janet Murray on my tree. Please let me know if you're still out there.
Cheers, Jean.

Offline moscan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The next generation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 February 09 00:31 GMT (UK) »
my etheral presence is still around.... been in hospital a lot recently and sitting at computers not easy.  but will happily do anything I can to assist!

Do let me know what I can do for you

Best wishes

Mo
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br /><br />Researching: - Freear, Walker, Aston, Scanlan, Courtney, Lowth, O’Sulivan, McDonnell, Condon, McMahon, McKay, Brock, Gourlay, Busby<br /><br />Locations: - March in Cambridgeshire, Banbury in Oxfordshire, Mileham in Norfolk, Worcester, Evesham, Claines in Worcestershire, Birmingham. Dublin, Cork, Fermanagh in Ireland.  Glasgow, Stirling in Scotland

Offline nipper56

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 February 09 07:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mo,
if this is 'my' Donald Duff then he and his first wife, Janet 'Jessie' Murray, had the following, Donald (Daniel?), Alexander, George, Catherine, William, Ann, Janet, Margaret & Robert. Janet died and Donald then married Isabella Gunn abt 1844 and they had the following: Bell, Ann & Johanna. Some offspring from each of the two familes came to Australia and my husband's Granfather is descended from Janet of the first family and his Grandfather was descended from Ann of the second family.
I know, very confusing!!
If you would like to share some info about this family I would like to communicate directly so we could email documents, etc.
Cheers, Jean.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Jean..the initial poster is andrewcraig74....who doesn't seem to want to look into the "urgent" postings as there are some unanswered on the Canada board as well...
Moscan ( hi mo! You better now, I hope?) was just replying with information for that person...

but stick around and enjoy the site...fabulous help on here...

If anyone is ever searching for Christian Hynes Craig  ( lived Pincher Creek, Alta.)  I have her obit and lots of info on her children & some grandchildren from newspapers... J.J.

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com