Author Topic: Looking for little Henry  (Read 3657 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for little Henry
« on: Monday 06 December 10 09:27 GMT (UK) »
On the 1841 census I have:
Robert ELTHAM  Age  67   
Mary ELTHAM Age  66 
Thomas ELTHAM Age  24   
Henry ELTHAM Age  9 
All living at West Challow in Berkshire. Robert and Mary are my 3 x great grandparents, Thomas is my 2 x great grandfather's youngest brother, then unmarried. I believe Henry to be the son of John Eltham (my 2 x great grandfather's oldest brother).  (John Eltham married Harriet Preater 30 Oct 1831 in Wantage Berks, Henry Eltham bapt 18 May 1834 in Wantage, parents John Eltham and Harriet.) Henry's age is so faint on the scan - could be 7, so these would fit. John married Hannah Parrott Q3 1840 and is on the 1841 census living with wife's widowed father, their own child Susannah and Hannah's illegitimate daughter Adelaide. As I cannot find death of 1st wife Harriet I assume she died before 1st Jul 1837.
After this census there is no further trace of Henry, John and Harriet only have their own children living with them. Also no death record found for Henry, so the obvious thought is that he emigrated, but he would be a bit young to go on his own. Any ideas anyone?
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for little Henry
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 December 10 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Lizzie

Wantage burial
1836 Apr 12, ELTHAM, Harriet, age 28

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 December 10 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Wantage baptism
1836 Apr 22, Ann, d/o John & Harriet ELTHAM, Wantage, Sawyer
buried 4 Jun 1836 age 8 weeks

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 December 10 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much, Ian. It's sorted out Harriet's dates. I had the baptism of Ann down for 1835 not 1836 and didn't have age at death, so I thould she was just over a year old. Being 8 weeks old looks like Harriet died in child birth or within a day or two.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 June 11 15:06 BST (UK) »
Thought I had found my Henry in Tyneside married to Elizabeth Spence, but wrong father and if my Henry would be a bit young. Funny thing is that this Henry also disappears.
Then I found a death of Henry Eltham in Smyrna (now Izmir) Turkey on FindMyPast 1849 - 1854 consular death index. As both my Henry and the Tyneside Henry ( who I believe is the son of William Carter Eltham of Chatham, Kent) are absent from 1851 and subsequent census, this could fit either. Is anyone researching Kent Elthams and knows what happened to the Tyneside / Kent Henry so I could eliminate him.?
Also does anyone know how I could get a copy of the death Certificate for a death registered at a consulate? A death registered at a Turkish port sounds like he could have been a sailor, which might fit someone residing in  Tyneside and Chatham  better than my Henry from landlocked Berkshire.

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 March 13 05:05 GMT (UK) »
Thought I had found my Henry in Tyneside married to Elizabeth Spence, but wrong father and if my Henry would be a bit young. Funny thing is that this Henry also disappears.
Then I found a death of Henry Eltham in Smyrna (now Izmir) Turkey on FindMyPast 1849 - 1854 consular death index. As both my Henry and the Tyneside Henry ( who I believe is the son of William Carter Eltham of Chatham, Kent) are absent from 1851 and subsequent census, this could fit either. Is anyone researching Kent Elthams and knows what happened to the Tyneside / Kent Henry so I could eliminate him.?
Also does anyone know how I could get a copy of the death Certificate for a death registered at a consulate? A death registered at a Turkish port sounds like he could have been a sailor, which might fit someone residing in  Tyneside and Chatham  better than my Henry from landlocked Berkshire.

If registered at a British Consulate then it will be in the Records Office in the UK.   I got married in 1957 at the British Consulate in Izmir and later found the entry at St.Catherine's Records Office in London.
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline supermoussi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 31 March 13 08:55 BST (UK) »
Any ideas anyone?

Army? If he was tramping around the empire he would be pretty elusive.

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 31 March 13 19:28 BST (UK) »
     There are various ways of finding people who left the country and I discovered a new one yesterday...well I didn't know about it anyway.     I've mentioned already the consular records in London and everyone has probably had a go at searching shipping lists.

Having found someone in America who is tracing the same gt.gt.gt.grandparents I got stuck into trying to discover what happened to a certain James Henry Gay Dixon who got married in Durham in 1889, appears in the 1891 census, then by 1901 it looks like he left his wife and moved down to Hull.  Then nothing after that.    Since his name is longer than usual I tried the trick of searching the net for that name enclosed in quotation marks.    I struck lucky straight away and up came his name on a page for a petition for naturalisation in New York.

Now whilst this name could be a one off, we can always try any other name in parentheses and add, 'petition','naturalisation',and say 'New York'.

I just did this for Little Henry and whilst the result appears to be somebody else it is interesting and could even be a link to the whereabouts of Little Henry.      In any case I have seen the surname 'Ritson' somewhere else which somebody else is searching.
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 31 March 13 19:31 BST (UK) »
   Have just found that the page that comes up for Henry Eltham is Ancestry and not the one I discovered yesterday.   See - http://www.fold3.com/document/122536281/
Tassie, Greenshields