Author Topic: John Fowler b Dec 1799 died in Canada?  (Read 2766 times)

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Fowler b Dec 1799 died in Canada?
« on: Monday 06 December 10 11:23 GMT (UK) »
I have the following  Fowler family all born in England
John b 1799 Kent + Elizabeth  b 1818  Devon
and children: Elizabeth  b 1847, Thomas b 1848, Samuel b 1850, Emma b 1853, Nathanial b 1855.
All except two youngest children are in Cornwall, England on 1851 census. Then all except John are in Ottawa, Ontario on 1861 Canadian census. I cannot find a death record for John on UK BMDs, so I assume he must have emigrated with the family, but died soon after arriving in Canada.
I cannot find the family on any ship's passenger lists, but they are hard to find before 1890. The time window for their emigration would be between 1st July 1855 (earliest date Nathanial's birth would be registered in Cornwall) and the date of 1861 census (Jan 14th). It may not be relevant but, a son by John's first marriage emigrated to USA in 1860. So it is possible that the whole family travelled to USA first, then on to Canada, leaving the oldest boy behind in America.
I would be grateful if someone could advise me how to find Canadian death records.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Online jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Fowler b Dec 1799 died in Canada?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 December 10 13:10 GMT (UK) »
Immigrants into Canada weren't regularly recorded pre-1865. Many people did go to a US port first on their way to Canada (or vice versa), so it would still be worth checking US passenger lists. Which area of the US did the son end up in?

BMDs in Canada are different depending on the province. Presuming he died in Ontario, there are no civil registrations during the time period you are looking at, so the main sources would be church records (Canadian census should show you which denomination they were), and cemetery records.

Since the family settled in the Ottawa area have a look at : http://ogsottawa.on.ca/
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 December 10 14:08 GMT (UK) »
The son by 1st marriage (Charles) did not feature on US 1860 census, but on 1900 census says he entered US in 1860 so it must have been after 1st June of that year. From 1870 to 1910 he is living in Knox township (or Knoxville), Knox County, Illinois. No sign on 1910 or 1920 censuses so I suspect he had died before 1910. He cannot read or write and was blind either from birth or at an early age.
As to religion of the part of the family who went to Canada: John was baptised in the Scotch Presbyterian Church in Woolwich, Kent. His 2nd wife, Elizabeth is listed as a Methodist on the 1881 Canadian census, two of the children still living with her in 1881 are listed as Baptists. So all non-conformist, but not sure what church would have buried John.
No sign of any of the family either together or separately going through the Castle Garden immigration centre, so maybe Canada was 1st port of call and Charles moved to USA from Canada. He could have travelled completely separately but it would have been quite difficult since he was blind.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Online jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 December 10 15:22 GMT (UK) »
beta.familysearch.org does seem to show a Chas Fowler circa 1842 England in City Of Galesburg, Knox in 1860.  At the same time there is a John Fowler aged 20 in the same location (can't see the image) (on later censuses he is John K  and gives his date of immigration as 1860 - could this be John Kenneth Fowler b. Cornwall shown on freebmd?).

He also seems to be present in the 1910 census (again, no image, but in Knoxville).

Castle Garden primarily shows immigrations through NY, they could have come through other ports although it does seem likely they arrived together in Canada and then the two boys, perhaps, went to the US together after the death of their father while Elizabeth's children stayed with her.

If any of the English-born members of the family appear in the 1901 census of Canada that should show the year they arrived (may not be very accurate).
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 December 10 15:49 GMT (UK) »
I missed Charles on the 1860 census - I think I was searching on exact year of birth. This all seems to fit together nicely. John Kenneth was his older brother (full brother), so it does look like they arrived together. Now I need to try and find when the Canadian part of the family arrived there. Thanks very much for your help.

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 October 22 15:04 BST (UK) »

If any of the English-born members of the family appear in the 1901 census of Canada that should show the year they arrived (may not be very accurate).

Having a problem finding the family members in 1901. I know Elizabeth Fowler  died in 1892 and James Nathaniel Fowler died in 1895, so they wouldn't be on 1901 census. The obit for James said he died while visiting his brother S. E Fowler in Denver Colorado This would be his full brother Samuel Elisha Fowler, so I expect Samuel may have been a permanent resident in the US by that time and would not be on 1901 Canadian sentence. The obit goes on to say that James was buried in the family plot at Beechwood and the funeral was at the house of Mrs T F Fowler. She would be the wife of another full brother Thomas Frederick. As it says Mrs T F, I suspect Thomas has also died by 1895 and she is a widow.
This only leaves the two daughters of Elizabeth Fowler unaccounted for - Elizabeth b 1847 and Emma Ann b 1853, I haven't yet found deaths or marriages for either, so don't know if they could be on the 1901 census.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 October 22 15:22 BST (UK) »

Emma Ann Fowler was a spinster (never married) died 3 April 1919.
Buried Beechwood Cemetery. Ottawa.  Died of cancer at the age of 65 years.

FIND A GRAVE entry says she lived with brother Samuel in Denver Colorado.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/184774885/emma-fowler

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 09 October 22 15:24 BST (UK) »
1871 census Ottawa Ward, Ottawa.

Elizabeth Fowler 55
Thomas Fowler 23 Clerk.
Samuel Fowler 21 Clerk.
Emma Fowler   18
James Fowler 16 Clerk.

1881 census Wellington Ward. Ottawa City.

Samuel Fowler 32 years. Eng. Store Clerk.
Elizth. Fowler 63 years. Eng.
James Fowler 25 years. Eng. Clerk.
Emma Fowler27 years. Eng.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 09 October 22 15:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you I did see an Emma on the Beechwood cemetery site and wondered if it was her, but with no year of birth or middle name I wasn't sure. Now to find out when she went to live with her brother, if that comment on findagrave is accurate