Author Topic: Burials - Abertillery area  (Read 6459 times)

Offline DebbieDee

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Hepzibah Annie Burge 1887-1969
    • View Profile
Burials - Abertillery area
« on: Wednesday 13 April 05 01:19 BST (UK) »
My gg grandparents moved to the Abertillery area sometime between 1891 and 1901.  My great grandparents were married in the English Baptist Chapel, Abertillery in 1907 and by the 1940s lived in Six Bells.

What I would like to discover is where any members of the family would have been buried.  I have checked the records for St Illtyd's, Llanhilleth and St Peter's Church, Aberystruth-Blaina.  There are lots of burials for Abertillery and Six Bells but no Assenders/Assinders. 

Would the English Baptist Chapel have had a cemetry?  I can't find a chapel of that name in existence now.

I am hoping to get to the County Record Office but I would like to hopefully find out what to ask for before I do.

Thanks in advance

Debbie

Offline rhys

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Burials - Abertillery area
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 April 05 07:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie
The only baptist chapel in Abertillery with a grave yard
is Blaenau Gwent baptist.
Details of the records available are on the following link
to Tredegar library family history centre
 I do not know if the gwent records office and Newport library hold the same.

http://www.blaenau-gwent.gov.uk/bglibraries/Library/localstudies.htm

Rhys
Bouncing Emails

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DebbieDee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 April 05 16:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help Rhys.  I'm looking for people in the Newport area as well, so that may be a good place to start.  I get confused with all the different unitary authorities in this area and who's got what!

Debbie

Offline Ladkyis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Still searching for those darned actors
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 April 05 09:22 BST (UK) »
Blaenau Gwent Baptist Chapel
A certificate for Disposal was issued for Rose Assender age 1hr the date of death given as 10 March 1933
her address is given as 27 Arrail Street Six Bells

This is the only one in the index for Blaenau Gwent Baptist Chapel.

HTH
Ann
GIBBON, MCDADE, BRIDGER, GUILFOYLE, MACEY, JOHNSON, BELLEW, NATHAN, GEORGE, CLARKE.

Offline DebbieDee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 April 05 10:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ann,

My Dad must have been born in that house in 1942! My great gran was also still living there when she died in the 70s. 

I have a death cert for my Nan's twin sister Nancy in 1918 and the address is given as '27 Harold Street'-  Nancy died at the Gwent, Newport age 3. 

So the family must have lived in the same house for a long time and Rose must be a relative of mine.  Could be another of my Nan's sisters as my great gran would have been about 45 then. 

I'm really wondering what happened to everyone else now!

Thanks again Ann, you've been a great help  ;D

Debbie

Offline Ladkyis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 April 05 17:18 BST (UK) »
It was the age of the child that brought a lump to my throat. I am not sure how I would have coped if a child of mine had died age 1 hour. it always seems so sad.
Ho hum such a sentimental old grandma  :'(
Ann
GIBBON, MCDADE, BRIDGER, GUILFOYLE, MACEY, JOHNSON, BELLEW, NATHAN, GEORGE, CLARKE.

Offline DebbieDee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 April 05 20:24 BST (UK) »
I know what you mean  :(

From what I've read the child mortality rate in the Abertillery area from late C19th to early C20th was horrendous.  My Nan's twin died age 3 from what looks like complications of influenza/pneumonia.  They simply couldn't afford a doctor.  I only found out her name when I went to the FRC.  I stood there trying not to cry when I found her in the index. 

This is giving me a horrible picture of my great gran's life.  Rose must have been her daughter.  I found her birth and it's the correct mother's maiden name.  As far as my Dad knew the youngest child was born in 1928. 

Debbie

Offline Ladkyis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 April 05 00:26 BST (UK) »
I remember sitting in a record office with my husband gazing at me in amazement because tears were running down my cheeks.We had found the baptism of what we believed to be the eldest child of my husband's great grandfather and because of an off the cuff remark from a great uncle we were looking in the burial registers for the same parish. There we found that great grandma had buried her 16 month old daughter just 6 weeks before the baptism of her son. I just could not imagine what it must have been like to go through the burial of your child while heavily pregnant or just recently having given birth so I sat and cried for great grandma.
Ann

Offline doglover

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 29 April 07 23:08 BST (UK) »
ASSENDER WILLIAM HENRY

St Pauls Church Cwmtillery has a burial listed for this Gentleman 04.05.1932 age 28years - Would he be part of your Family?