Author Topic: The Diary of Nathaniel Bryceson (Part 9 - Final)  (Read 21063 times)

Offline Paul Caswell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me in my natural state
    • View Profile
Re: The Diary of Nathaniel Bryceson (Part 9 - Final)
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 08 December 10 18:25 GMT (UK) »
These threads will never be removed.   :) Anyone searching the name "Nathaniel Bryceson" via google in the future will come across our rootschat discussions. ...

I see Part 8 is still in the Lighter Side. May I vote for having it moved back? If there are any mods watching could this situation be reviewed please?

On the subject of a memorial, perhaps a well placed carving of Nats initials somewhere.

Paul
Caswell - Durham(Jarrow), Northumberland(Berwick), Dorset(Netherbury)
Drury - Middlesex(Kensington), Shropshire(Oswestry/Selattyn)
Turner - Dorset(Parkstone)
Speight - Essex(Braintree), Kent(Gravesend), Westmorland(Kendal)
Stockley - Dorset(Corfe Castle)
Amey - Suffolk(Haverhill)
Cousins - Norfolk(Ketteringham)
Sears - Bedfordshire(Potton), Cambridgeshire(Gamlingay)
Census information is Crown Copyright

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 08 December 10 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Maybe a plaque wouldn't be allowed as judging by the photos and what Steven and Mongibello said about the condition of the stone, it probabaly wouldn't be advisable (or allowed?)to or attach anything to it. However maybe some kind of free standing marker would be allowed.

Considering that many of us are non-UK residents it might be difficult to organise a fund for contributions. But it's a really nice idea and it would be worth doing on the 100th anniversary of his death next year. As well as the Nathaniel memorial walks there could be pilgramages to see his grave.  :)

It would be lovely if the moderators could put part 8 back into the Common Room. I just had a horrible thought regarding Mongibello's question about these threads. I think posts on "The Lighter Side" WILL disappear eventually - so one of our threads will be lost forever.

It would be wonderful if all the threads could stay in the "Common Room" so they can easily be found by descendants or Nathaniel Bryceson fans. Some of our research might even be useful for Westminster Archives when they put the book together. We did do a lot of digging behind the scenes and it would be a shame if it was lost.

So please ... rootschat powers that be ... will you consider moving Part 8 back to the Common Room so the threads can stay together? (*)

(*) Moderator Comment:  Nothing will be deleted, whether it is in the Common Room
or the Lighter Side, but I've now moved Part 8 back to the Common Room. :)

Offline Siamese Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 09 December 10 10:53 GMT (UK) »
I'd like to see part 8 back in the common room too - I think there was some bits of information on there that are worth keeping, and it would be a shame if all the threads weren't all in one place ...  Like having a missing volume out of a set of 9, you'd always wonder what was in the missing one!

I think the diary is just going to peter out isn't it?

Carole
CHILD Glos/London, BONUS London, DIMSDALE London, HODD and TUTT Sussex,  BONNER and PATTEN Essex, BOWLER and HOLLIER Oxfordshire, HUGH Lincolnshire, LEEDOM all.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 09 December 10 12:05 GMT (UK) »
I was hoping it'd go out on a bang, but sadly I don't think it will.  :-\

Is Nathaniel bored with his diary?
Is nothing happening in his life worth wriiting about?
Is he too busy to write?

:'(

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 09 December 10 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone

I am so sad this is going to end!  :'( :'(

I wonder if we could place a marker on Richmond Buildings.... "Nat woz 'ere!"  ;D ;D

deb  :)

Travellers = Penfold, Orchard, James
Devon = Middleton,  Waterfield, Adams, Clark/e, Gould
Cornwall = Palmer, Carnarton, Slack/Smith. Morris/h
Wales, New Quay = James, Evans

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline steve_gus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 09 December 10 12:42 GMT (UK) »
it probabaly wouldn't be advisable (or allowed?)to or attach anything to it. However maybe some kind of free standing marker would be allowed.

I wasnt suggesting something be added to the stone, and a seperate marker was the suggestion.

Im not putting myself forwards as a fund raiser, but it would be possible via on line charity fundraiser sites (justgiving) (possibly) or by a simple paypal account.

Nat would like the initials idea :)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 09 December 10 12:58 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if we could place a marker on Richmond Buildings.... "Nat woz 'ere!"  ;D ;D
deb  :)

Hi Deb. Maybe something to fill the void would be if we can work to get a plaque put up on Richmond Buildings.  ;) I don't think he'd be entitled to a Blue Plaque but there are others a little less prestigious.

Nat would like the initials idea :)

I Reckon Nat would carve his initials into his own gravestone with his trusty pen knife.  ;D

Offline Mongibello

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 09 December 10 16:16 GMT (UK) »
It would be wonderful if all the threads could stay in the "Common Room" so they can easily be found by descendants or Nathaniel Bryceson fans. Some of our research might even be useful for Westminster Archives when they put the book together. We did do a lot of digging behind the scenes and it would be a shame if it was lost.

So please ... rootschat powers that be ... will you consider moving Part 8 back to the Common Room so the threads can stay together?
This is the reason I asked the question.   I want to make sure all the research is available if & when the book is prepared.   I am currently trying to put it into a usable form as I am sure that none of the Archives staff will have the time to do it.

Incidentally do not expect too much of the last couple of days. I seem to remember that they were rather mixed up with the original writing in the book.

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 09 December 10 17:31 GMT (UK) »
I've just be notified that The Diary, part 8 Has been moved back to the Common Room......

Thanks Belin-Bob!!!  :) :)
Travellers = Penfold, Orchard, James
Devon = Middleton,  Waterfield, Adams, Clark/e, Gould
Cornwall = Palmer, Carnarton, Slack/Smith. Morris/h
Wales, New Quay = James, Evans

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk