Author Topic: Surgeon John CATES  (Read 22711 times)

Offline TerryD

• RootsChat Member
  • Dadds finding Dads
    • View Profile
Re: Surgeon John CATES
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 08 December 10 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Sue and JM

Thanks for all your help we have most of the loose ends tied up now.
Time for me to try and find charles augustus birth and contact the archivist at St laurence.

JM Also agree there should be a smiley who can stamp his feet, mine are perishing at mo due to minus temps in UK for over a week now.

Love to you all in the sunny climes  8) and just played I Am Australian to get me into the swing of things. Brilliant song  ;D

Terry
Looking for Dadds, Wheeler, Seymour, Hammond & Reynolds to name but a few.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 08 December 10 13:27 GMT (UK) »
 ;D

Hi Terry,  don't close the thread, wait until you hear back from the archivist, OR perhaps someone will turn up after googlesearching CATES ... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSoGJQkKDYk&feature=related (The Seekers signing I am Australian)

Cheers, JM 
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline TerryD

• RootsChat Member
  • Dadds finding Dads
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 08 December 10 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi JM

Wouldnt dream of closing thread hoping others will help me as well as sue and you have.

Thats allways been my favourite version of the song. If not a new national anthem for Australia it should be sung at events in which Australia are represented.

Truely inspirational song and i even know all the words!!!!

Offline TerryD

• RootsChat Member
  • Dadds finding Dads
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 08 December 10 15:39 GMT (UK) »
This story gets better by the minute.

It appears on its journey from NSW to London the Mary White was lost at Sea.

See this link

http://www.pbenyon.plus.com/Gazette/Accidents/Mary_White_Loss.html

I wonder if the passengers given the masters cabin on the Preciosa were John and Elizabeth

Offline TerryD

• RootsChat Member
  • Dadds finding Dads
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 08 December 10 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Have edited it earlier but they arrived on the MELLISH not Melissa on 5th June 1839.
Found on this site

http://www.blaxland.com/ozships/

Here is a picture of said ship owned by the East India Company and used as prison ship in 1830.

http://nla.gov.au/nla.pic-an9576808

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 08 December 10 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Now Terry,
We havent finished with you yet! Don't wind up ;D

Here is the marriage of a CHARLES A.

REG6963 IN 1901 CATES CHARLES A
To WATSON MADELINE
At MARRICKVILLE

EDIT Too young to be the right man.

On our National Archives search site ther is adigitised war service record for your man.

http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/recordsearch/index.aspx

He says he was born in DUNEDIN NZ, but to date I have not located that birth.  I will keep looking.

His sister is his next of kin and her married name was RICHRDSON she lived at High St, Waverley,NSW.

ADDING
Here is her marriage

REG. 3179In 1910  RICHARDSON  FRANK
To  CATES  ELIZABETH A
At  WAVERLEY 

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 08 December 10 22:06 GMT (UK) »
It looks as if ELIZABETH and FRANK may have had children.

The birth index only goes to 1909 in NSW, so we cannot see their births, but here are a couple of possible deaths.

REG 21184 In 1941  RICHARDSON , GORDON CHARLES
Father  FRANK
mother ELIZABETH ANN
At BURWOOD

Reg.15836 In 1921  RICHARDSON,  FRANK E
Father FRANK
mother ELIZABETH A
At  ANNANDALE

Sue   
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TerryD

• RootsChat Member
  • Dadds finding Dads
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 08 December 10 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue,

Not winding up, i like the treatment too much  ;D

War record stuff extremely interesting although he cant seem to get his age right, 23, 24, 21 etc etc

Looks like we looking for Dunedin birth 1890 /1

Confident we will find as this trace is going so well thanks to all the help I am receiving.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 08 December 10 23:34 GMT (UK) »
Re the ship MELLISH  newspapers info summary :

Seems to have left Britain possibly from the Downs around 28 Nov 1838  ;D as reported in Sydney papers eg The Colonist of Wednesday 13 March 1839.  She had GOVERNMENT EMIGRANTS on board ...

Also ship could be named JOHN MELLISH as per  newspaper The Australian Tuesday 12 March 1839

The Sydney Gazette of  14 May 1839 has The Mellish sailed from the Downs on the 17th January, with a cargo of merchandise for this port (ie Sydney) ... Agents : Messrs Hughes and Hosking ... (I think these were Sydney based and that Hosking was related to Hughes ie J T Hughes, who was one of the leading benefactors to Christ Church St Laurence, donated the land etc)...   That same paper 16 May 1839 indicates Mellish sailed direct from the Downs to Sydney, but it has sailing date as 10 Jan  ::)  ::)

Sydney Monitor 5 June 1839 Ships in Port Jackson (ie Sydney) Mellish 500 tons Captain Jones in stream "just arrived"  and same paper page 5 lists names of passengers including Mr and Mrs Cates and two children.  Interesting story in that issue !  At Lisbon (she had to get there because of a significant leak) Portugese corvette was burned... HM ships needed to fire at that burning vessel after rescuing its crew (I presume they needed to sink the burning vessel to stop it drifting into other shipping in port)

Sydney Gazette 6 June 1839 has Mr and Mrs Cates and three children (the Monitor says TWO)

There was a special herd of cattle on board as per Sydney Herald of 10 June 1839 for a "spirited colonalist named John Brown ... Ummm... could that be the same John Brown who was a pew holder at St Laurence around that time  :D  .... and lots and lots of hats were part of the cargo too ..... as per The Australian 20 June 1839

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.