Author Topic: Surgeon John CATES  (Read 22708 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Surgeon John CATES
« Reply #90 on: Wednesday 15 December 10 04:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Judith for the newspaper lookups :)

CHARLES Jnr's daughter, RUBY, and her husband GEORGE ASSENHEIM died in in the 1980's

There is a second world war service summary for RUSSELL.

http://www.ww2roll.gov.au/script/name.asp

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Wednesday 15 December 10 05:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sue  :)

Ruby married in 1941, registered at Annandale (inner west suburb of Sydney) ref 17942/1941

Ruby Eileen Blanche and George Seymour Assenheim were at 901 Punchbowl Rd, Punchbowl in 1949 and1954. He a technician.
The couple were living at 4 Purkis St Camperdown in 1943,  ;) same address as her mum and dad who was a watchmaker.

Ryerson Index
Ruby d o d 1 Aug 1982 aged 61 late of Punchbowl SMH 4 Aug 1982
George d o d 18 May 1989 aged 74, late of Blacktown, formerly of Punchbowl SMH 20 Aug 1982

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline TerryD

• RootsChat Member
  • Dadds finding Dads
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Wednesday 15 December 10 17:28 GMT (UK) »
More superb info and more thanks to Sue, Jm and Judith.

Just to let you know Charles Collier Cates elder sister Elizabeth Ann married a Wine Merchants son Juan de Uncilla from Bilbao in 1856 at St Leonards. They had one daughter Elizabeth Ann de Uncilla.

Brother William John(1833) still alive in 1891.

Terry
Looking for Dadds, Wheeler, Seymour, Hammond & Reynolds to name but a few.

Offline TerryD

• RootsChat Member
  • Dadds finding Dads
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Monday 20 December 10 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I have had a response from the achivist at St Laurences and he confirms all our details for George Collier Cates and Susan Kain Cates are correct. Susan was born and christened on same day which he says is unusual, perhaps they thought she wasnt going to survive, although survive she did.

The story with Humphrey Gwynne Cates gets more confusing as no christening at St Laurences on 27th October 1839 in that name.

Unfortunately the archivist didnt give me any further info on the family so still searching for Charles Collier Cates birth.  :(

Intersting in that their sibling and my direct line James Samuel Cates then ended up in the USA and died in Texas in 1925.

Also confirm John Cates married Elizabeth Cain so we were right.

Offline colcourt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Sunday 09 January 11 15:13 GMT (UK) »
I can't help at all with your research but you have answered one of my puzzles - I am interested in the Collier family and had always wondered where the Cates in John Cates Collier's name came from - so thank you! :)
Sarah

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Sunday 16 January 11 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi All, especially Terry  :D

As a follow up
...... so still searching for Charles Collier Cates birth. :(  ......

11 September 1879 at the Registry Office in Gore Street, Fitzroy, Charles Collier CATES married Margaret Mary RYAN.  The ceremony was conducted by the Registrar for Marriages, Adam Anderson. Reference : 3735 of 1879  Victoria BDM online index.

A transcript of the details that the registrar recorded for that marriage are as follows:
Charles Collier CATES, a bachelor, born Sydney NSW was aged 29, and he was living in Melbourne at the time of the marriage. He was a Mariner by occupation.  His parents were John CATES, a surgeon and Elizabeth Kain.
Margaret Mary RYAN, a spinster, born in Tipperary, Ireland was aged 25 and she was living in Carlton.  She was a Teacher by occupation.  Her parents were William RYAN, a Farmer and Mary O’Brien.

According to the information they had provided to the Registrar, neither the bride nor the groom had any children either living or dead from any former marriage.   

That transcript of that marriage certificate would suggest that Charles Collier CATES was born circa 1850, which is not supported by the NSW BDM index.  If he was born in England at some time before to his parents migration in 1839, then I gently suggest that perhaps he fibbed re his age, lowering it at least 10 years to somewhat nearer his bride’s age.  Perhaps his occupation would have been offered as a reason for any "weathering" of his facial features to anyone questioning if he was actually around 40 plus years of age in 1879.     

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline TerryD

• RootsChat Member
  • Dadds finding Dads
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Sunday 16 January 11 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jm,

Many thanks for all the info below.

I agree with your hypothesis that Charles Collier Cates lied about his age and added 10 years to it. The reason being I am now pretty certain in my own mind, although I have no proof yet, that George Collier Cates born  in sydney in 1840 and Charles Collier Cates are one and the same man. No records of Charles  appear before 1865 and nothing of George at all except his birth at the moment. Also if 1850 was Charles birth date he would have been only fifteen when marrying for the second time in Dublin in 1865.

I am trying to find out details of George/Charles between 1850 and 1865 and pretty certain he in UK during this time. By the way his Father in Law in 1865 Benjamin Flood was from Louisville, Kentucky. 

Also found 8 children of Surgeon John and Elizabeth Kain with George/Charles counted as one at mo. Last born two, including my link , ended up in Texas and both died there.

This family gets more interesting by the day.

Regards

Terry

Offline Chudleigh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Sunday 12 March 17 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi there
I am related to Eliza Martha Kain, and noticed that her brother, Henry Allen Kain, had a child called Thomas Cates Kain and that a witness at Henry's wedding was Jack Cates.  Can we share some information?
Chudleigh

Offline TerryD

• RootsChat Member
  • Dadds finding Dads
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Sunday 12 March 17 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi chudleigh,

Sorry but the only info I still have on the surgeon is on the posts on this thread, sorry I cannot help more

Terry