Author Topic: Ellen Fairclough of Adlington  (Read 4143 times)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: Ellen Fairclough of Adlington
« Reply #9 on: Friday 31 December 10 17:31 GMT (UK) »
There's an Ellen registered at Adlington in 1857, mother's maiden name BEARDSWORTH.
Other Faircloughs with this maiden name: Elizabeth 1861 and Michael 1863.

Trouble is that the only Fairclough-Beardsworth marriage I can find is Richard & Alice in 1852. Richard's stonemason father Isaac had moved into Chorley and was running the Joiner's Arms on Market St.

I'm getting confused. There were four Paul Faircloughs, but I can only find a mariage for two of them - Paul Fairclough to Esther Longworth at Standish in 1836, and Paul Fairclough to Mary Wareing (Leonard Fairclough's parents) at Manchester Cathedral in 1855. HOWEVER, his father Isaac, who described himself as a stonemason in each census, is a Boatman at the latter Paul's baptism in 1830. It seems likely that there was some swapping of trades going on.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline dappleyard

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ellen Fairclough of Adlington
« Reply #10 on: Monday 17 January 11 08:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all the feedback.  I know from the Marriage certificate of Ellen Fairclough to John Blackburn in 1882 that the father of Ellen was Paul Fairclough (boatman).  I am basing all my assumptions on the mothers name being Ellen also on the baptismal records of Ellen (b 1557) & Anna (Hannah?) (b 1858), but both baptised on the same day (5 Sept 1858). These records in Lancashire-OPC suggest that Ellen is second daughter & Anna the third, suggesting they moved to Adlington shortly pre 1857.

If the mothers name on the baptismal record is incorrect. I can find a family in Adlington: Paul (boatman) & Hannah Ainscough with 2nd & 3rd Daugters Ellen & Hannah and a First Daughter Harriet born in Leigh.
Since a Hannah is also a witness to the Marriage in 1882, this seems a good fit.

I would welcome advice on whether it is sound to question the single baptismal record on the grounds of lack of census information on Paul & Ellen Fairclough in Adlington, or their daughters if it is a different family.
Also, the likelyhood of 2 Paul Faircloughs of similar age in the same village and both boatmen ?

Regards

David