Author Topic: Looking for Michael McGovern Russagh  (Read 23760 times)

Offline isobel58

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Michael McGovern Russagh
« on: Friday 10 December 10 22:48 GMT (UK) »
My great, great grandfather was Michael McGovern he married Bridget Tormay around 1861 they had 12 children.  Their son James is listed on the 1911 census as still living with them.  They also had my great grandfather John who married and died in Scotland.  Also Hugh who married in Isabella Meldrum in Sligo in 1905.  There was also Thomas, Julia and Michael born 1868.  I think some of the children were born in Longford and they could have lived in Mullingar too.  Michael went to Argentina and his son Lorenzo McGovern became the first Argentine Ambassador to Dublin in 1955.  I would like to find out about Michael and Bridgets other children.  I am almost sure one or two of them went to live in America.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Michael McGovern Russagh
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 December 10 01:08 GMT (UK) »
Have you any more info on exactly where in Longford or Mullingar they came from? There were Tormeys just outside Mullingar at Portloman/Bennetstown in the right time frame. PM

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 December 10 08:34 GMT (UK) »
For reference here's the family in the 1911 census in the townland of Russagh (as in the title of this thread)-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Westmeath/Rathowen/Russagh/882056

Looks like Bridget and some of the children in 1901 census but Michael's not listed-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Westmeath/Rathowen/Russagh/1779314
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline isobel58

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 December 10 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thank you both for your replies and help.  I really appreciate it.

I have no idea where the Tormey's came from sorry, I know that makes it very difficult.
All I know some of the McGovern children were born in Longford and Baptised there too.  I got that from familysearch.org.   I was trying to find Thomas on the 1901 and 1911 census, no luck so far.

this is what i know Thomas born 18/3/1871 at 246 Street Longford?( recorded that way)
James born 1864-1865
Julia 16/10/1878
Michael 06/04/1868  at 248 Street Londford (that's how it's recorded on the site)
Hugh 09/10/1874 he married in Sligo in 1905 and died in Scotland
John 1869 my (great grandfather) he married died in Scotland

There father Michael's birthplace listed as Russagh.

I know that James was still living with them in 1911.

I saw the 2 census records and noticed that Michael  wasn't on the 1901 census.  On the 1911 census the Visitor Grandson from Scotland is my Grandfather.  There are another 6 or 7 children that I haven't been able to find.

Do you know how I can trace their birth records without really knowing a Christian name, only know time frame for births and the parents names and most probably born Longford or Russagh?

I know that one or two of the children went to live in America.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 December 10 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Do you know how I can trace their birth records without really knowing a Christian name, only know time frame for births and the parents names and most probably born Longford or Russagh?

The only practical way I can think of to to this would be to browse through baptisms in the relevant RC parish records. These are available on microfilm in the National Library in Dublin.

Some Longford and Westmeath parish record transcripts are available on the pay-website of the Irish Family History Foundation at : http://www.rootsireland.ie/  It's worth checking that they cover the parishes you are interested in before trying a search.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline isobel58

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 December 10 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shane

Thanks for you reply. Will take a look at the web link.  I thought they might hold records in St Mary's R.C. Church in Rathowen ( I'm not sure if I should be looking for an R.C. Church in Longford too)   The National Library in Dublin are their records online or do you have to go there in person?  I ask because I live in Scotland.

What I also thought of doing was sending an email to the Longford paper.  I visited Ireland in 1970 with my Mum's cousin and we visited Longford and Mullingar and there were cousins not much older than me that we met there.  They would be in their late 50's now. It might be worthwhile putting a letter in the paper with some family details and the story of my visit, it might jog someone's memory

I will definitely try your suggestion, there has to be records somewhere on the family.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 December 10 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for you reply. Will take a look at the web link.  I thought they might hold records in St Mary's R.C. Church in Rathowen ( I'm not sure if I should be looking for an R.C. Church in Longford too)   The National Library in Dublin are their records online or do you have to go there in person?  I ask because I live in Scotland.

The NLI dont have online records, just the microfilms.

See the Irish Times website for details of RC parish names and areas covered :

Co. Westmeath RC parishes
 Co. Longford RC parishes

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 December 10 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for you reply. Will take a look at the web link.  I thought they might hold records in St Mary's R.C. Church in Rathowen ( I'm not sure if I should be looking for an R.C. Church in Longford too)   

The town and townland of Rathowen is in the Civil Parish of Rathaspick, and covered by the RC parish of 'Rathaspick and Russagh' - see : Rathaspick RC Parish  (see the the link at the bottom titled : Click here for a listing of placenames within this parish. )

NLI microfilm is : P.4236 and covers dates back to 1822 for baptisms, and 1819 for marriages.

The records appear to be listed on the RootsIreland website under the townname (Rathowen) rather than parish name.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline isobel58

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 11 December 10 12:42 GMT (UK) »
thanks, shane

Will check it all out.   It looks like the records at the National Archive have to be searched in person.   Will see what I can find on the sites you have given me.  thanks again
Isobel