Author Topic: Alexander and Sarah Hall and their daughters  (Read 3793 times)

Offline hall and walsh

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander and Sarah Hall and their daughters
« on: Saturday 11 December 10 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello
My ggg grandparents Alexander and Sarah Hall (nee Smythe / Smith) had at least three daughters between 1820 and 1825: Mary, Sarah and Jane. I have traced the three girls to Australia in the 1850s but now I'm trying to go backwards to find their baptism details and perhaps something more about Alexander and Sarah who were born presumably around the turn of the century.  They are not in the familysearch or IFHF sites.
When I travelled from Oz to Ireland recently I went to Cregagh library and found  that Sarah was baptised in Donaghmore, Tyrone C of I on Feb 16, 1823. The priest wrote that the family lived in "Derrahore" Tyrone. Unfortunately the microfilm in the library was poorly copied and difficult to read so I was not able to find any reference to the other girls.  (MIC/106/1 page 66)
Jane Hall married into another Hall family, from Lurgan.  I was able to find more about the Lurgan branch of the Halls with the very kind help of Ann Doyle.
Even though Hall is a very common family name I'm hoping that someone else might have done some digging around Alexander and Sarah Hall who were (at least for a time around 1823) in Donaghmore, Tyrone.  Here's hoping!!  :)
Walsh family - Listowel, Kerry; Alderney, Guernsey,  Adelaide Melbourne, New York Texas
Hall family - Toberhewney, Lurgan; Derryhoar, Tyrone; Melbourne, Australia, Quin, Clare
Downes family - Cahermurphy, Kilmihil, Clare, Adelaide Australia
Neville family - Shanagolden, Limerick, Dandenong, Victoria, Australia
Hanora Barrett - Shanagolden, Limerick, Geelong and Dandenong, Victoria, Australia

Lawry family - St Austell, Cornwall, Tasmania, Kalgoorlie, Riddells Creek Australia

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander and Sarah Hall and their daughters
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 December 10 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   Cannot go back that far but I think that "Derrahore" is the townland of DERRYHOAR. I checked the Griffiths Valuation (c 1860) for Derryhoar and it lists Eliza Hall who rented a house there.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline hall and walsh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 December 10 01:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for the tip re Derryhoar, I'll look it up - do you have any suggestions about how I might seek information on this particular line of Halls?

I'll try to get to Belfast again in 2011 or 2012, might it be worth a trip to the church to see the original of the book that was difficult to read in microfilm format?

Cheers

Walsh family - Listowel, Kerry; Alderney, Guernsey,  Adelaide Melbourne, New York Texas
Hall family - Toberhewney, Lurgan; Derryhoar, Tyrone; Melbourne, Australia, Quin, Clare
Hanora Barrett - Shanagolden, Limerick, Geelong and Dandenong, Victoria, Australia

Lawry family - St Austell, Cornwall, Tasmania, Kalgoorlie, Riddells Creek Australia

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 December 10 07:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   I think that a visit is the best course of action. It is also worth bearing in mind that it was the custom in Ireland to get married in the bride's church and Sarah Smith may not have been Church of Ireland before marriage.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline hall and walsh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 December 10 08:06 GMT (UK) »
Ok thanks very much.
Sarah Smith's family apparently came from Grove Hill (possibly in Co Down)  but I've had no success locating anything of her or her family, marriages baptisms etc.

It looks as though I'll have to be patient and keep my fingers crossed that something turns up!

Offline jahjahau

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 June 11 10:06 BST (UK) »
  John and Elizabeth HALL
Children:
No.   Sex   Name   Date of Birth   Place of Birth      
1   F   Elizabeth   chr 8 Oct 1820   Donaghmore Co. Tyrone              
2   F    Sarah (twin)   chr April 1823   Donaghmore Co. Tyrone              
2   F    Margaret (twin) chr April 1823 Donaghmore Co Tyrone.                                                         
3   F   Elizabeth   b  10 May 1828     Camus Co. Tyrone IRL            
4   M   John   b  9 Sept 1832    Camus, Co. Tyrone IRL   

My theory "educated guess" is that John jnr above may be my gggrandfather who married in Clare, Tandragee in Co Armagh in 1858, before he and his wife and children emigrated to Queensland, Australia in 1863.  I do know my John was connected to the HALL family in Corlust, Co Armagh (Parish of Ballymore).  There are so many HALLs I cannot link them altogether.  I have hung onto this possibility for many years and would love one day to prove/diismiss the connection to this family from Donaghmore & Camus.
Can anyone help out?
Thanks
Judy

Offline hall and walsh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 July 11 07:56 BST (UK) »
What a shame - my sarah hall was baptised two months before yours!
I don't think that I can be of any help to you in your quest - never mind, there's always tomorrow!