Author Topic: Liverpool and Merseyside Blitz  (Read 9056 times)

Offline ashtree

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Liverpool and Merseyside Blitz
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 22 May 13 23:30 BST (UK) »
I lived in Ashfield (it's not Ashfield Road!) from 1945 to 1968. I was married in St Thomas's Church - now demolished - in 1968. My mother told me about the terrible loss of life from the 'landmine' in 1940. She was due to be married in St Thomas's in 1941 but the church window had been blown out so her wedding took place at Childwall instead. It was a lovely street to live in, with a great mix of housing types and good people. My grandfather, Thomas Burrows, a hay carter, had lived in our house in Ashfield since almost when it was built around 1910. He died there in 1949.

Offline Catherine Cook

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 11 November 13 23:11 GMT (UK) »
I am a relative of the Thompson family who tragically passed in the St Anthonys School shelter. Alexander Thompson was my Great Grand Uncle ) on my mothers side of the family.
Alexander, his wife Margaret and 3 young children decided to use the school bomb shelter along with a member of his wifes family.
His sister (my great grandmother) and all their brothers/sisters and their families were in the church shelter.
The school shelter was sadly obliterated directly by a bomb. I always remember my mum telling me how her mother had lost family during the war and on this occasion it was a sad version of events as the family had chosen different shelters.  When researching online I came across this site which listed all the names of those who passed, at each location and on what date. http://liverpoolremembrance.weebly.com/christmas-blitz.html

From ancestry.co.uk I was able to find grave locations at Ford Cemetery Plot AF307. Alot of my ancestors are buried or remembered here. On my journey for some reason I did not write this plot down so it is on my to do list to revisit and pay my respects.

Offline Catherine Cook

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 11 November 13 23:16 GMT (UK) »
We are looking for sories information on bombing raids in the Liverpool and Merseyside area during WW2. Do you know any details about the lesser known victims?

We have recently concentrated on the following

Cleveland Square Shelter 31/08/1940

Bentinck Street Railway Arch Shelter 20/12/1940

St Anthony's School Shelter 22/12/1940

8 Firemen killed ay Green Lane, Old Swan 17/12/1940

Pemberton Road, Old Swan 03/05/1941

Upper Stanhope Street Bombing 10/01/1942

If you know anything about these events or any others in the area please post details, or contact us. Do you know anyone who told you stories about bombing raids?

We have noticed that a lot of the bombing victims are resigned to history. Would you help us remember those that died.

With Thanks

http://liverpoolremembrance.weebly.com/index.html

Ant

PLEASE SEE ABOVE MY POST REGARDING ST ANTHONYS SCHOOL SHELTER