Author Topic: Was there an orphanage or childrens home on the site of Styal prison  (Read 23067 times)

Offline Tutin66

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Was there an orphanage or childrens home on the site of Styal prison
« Reply #27 on: Friday 11 March 16 18:51 GMT (UK) »
OK there is some confusion regarding Styal Cottage home. As a resident at the time that it was a children s home I will give you the correct information from the time I was there and then the time after I left and its change of use.  I have given info in the past but haven't been on for quite a while. So this it what I know. I was in Styal from the age of 3 (1947) the first house on the left in the  photo you usually see was the place we would see our parents. I have mention this before. I lived In the second building on the right (B home) with my older sister). My youngest brother, who was also my sisters twin lived in the first house (A home). I'm not sure were my other two brothers lived. The home was cruel. For eg. Sometimes we didn't have socks on and I remember one time my feet got very grubby. The house mother (possibly Mrs Ramsbotham) was so cross she scrubbed my feet with carbolic soap and a wooden brush. The twins wet the bed and had to take their sheets to the laundrey and wash them by had. they missed a lot of school and unable to read or write when they left at about 12 year old. We left when I was 8 I had my 9thbirthday just about the Coronation time (1953).  After the place closed it was used for Hungarian refugees. This is when I'm not sure of dates and facts as I believe it was after it closed again that it was then used as an Open air School and it sounds like the staff where a lot nicer.
So there you have it. I am the only one left in my family now but I remember my time very well and am in the process of writing it for my family and my siblings who had a very bad time. By the way the Chapel in the Village, not the one in Styal it self was shown in the TV sers. about the Cotton weavers their families and the the people who built Styal Village. it is the Chapel that my brother Douglas use to go to on a Sunday to operate the bellows for the lady who played the organ. If there is anyone who would like further information I will be very pleased to help you in any way that I can. But no promises as I don't know everything.

Offline mike4301

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 18 June 16 23:55 BST (UK) »
My dad Patrick Maguire was sent to this place when he was a boy😕I thought it sounded like a cruel place . I think it changed him for the worst between that and his parents rejection. And now the council want me to pay 30 quid to search for his record. Should be free for people who are looking for answers and to move on.
HALL,Lancs,Staffordshire
SHAWCROSS Newton Heath,Gorton, Openshaw
WIGLEY Wirksworh, Lancashire
BRADSHAW Lancashire

Offline Tutin66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 19 June 16 18:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Mike

Saw what you said about your father. I was very young and very scared when at Styal so find it very difficult to remember names apart from the girls in my house. Boys and girls, brothers and sisters lived in separate homes. I asked for my records some years ago.  All I was sent was a copy of a form with mine and my siblings names. I was informed that was all they had. So before you pay out you need to have it confirmed that they have any information.

I will be going to a conference in Sheffield in September regarding children in care.  There will be Soc. Wks. and people who have been in care. So I may be able to ask if it is possible there will be records also the Care Leavers Assoc. based in Manchester do advise people who have been in care regarding access to records so they may be able to advise you.  However it maybe that The cost is correct, I don't know. I think that other organisations charge more such as MOD. Anyway best of luck. If I can be of any help or you would like to ask specific qn. I be pleased to help but as I said I was very young.  Most of the stuff I remember is the bad stuff because it affected me so  much.

Offline mike4301

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 20 June 16 09:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much Tutin. Wonder if they realize how it affected families of children from Styal like homes? Regards Michael
HALL,Lancs,Staffordshire
SHAWCROSS Newton Heath,Gorton, Openshaw
WIGLEY Wirksworh, Lancashire
BRADSHAW Lancashire

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 21 June 16 09:36 BST (UK) »
Hello Mike,

I wrote to Manchester Social Services it must be 10 years ago now regarding my (deceased) Grandfather who was at Styal with his siblings in the 1920's. At the time we were only able to write with questions that they could choose to reply to but I guess that this was because it would have still been within 100 years - this was free at the time but I got only limited information back only dates of admittance, home address etc no reason given for why they were there in the first place which is what I wanted to know.

I would be interested to find out what time period you are researching and if you find out any extra for the £30.00 fee

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline amelinixon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 28 July 17 03:36 BST (UK) »
Yes, and later an open air school for 'delicate' children. I was there  c1958.
 f you google Styal Open Air School you will find lots of info  :)

Offline Angel69

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 11 March 19 20:42 GMT (UK) »
My grandad, Harry Davies and his twin brother, Arthur Davies went into Styal Cottage Homes in June 1922 at nearly 4 years of age.   From what my grandad told my mother, they both had a happy life there and absolutely adored their Housemother.  Their sister (my great aunt), Dora Davies went into Styal Cottage Homes in 1926 at the age of 11.
Davies - Withington, Crumpsall, Styal, Cheshire, Ardwick
Hall - Harpurhey, Manchester, Derbyshire
Barnes - Manchester/Bury/Haslingden
Clayton - Manchester
Clinton - Harpurhey,Manchester, Middlesex & Ireland
Conwell - Manchester
Fletcher - Manchester
Jones - Manchester
Kay - Manchester
Moreton - Manchester/Staffordshire
Morris - Manchester
Priest - Manchester
Rowbotham - Manchester
Smith - Manchester
Murrat/Murret - London
Napper - Kent/Devon/London
Sullivan - Kent

Offline genna

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 03 May 19 13:17 BST (UK) »
There’s a book about Styal cottage homes “A Styal of Its Own, 1894-1964, the True Story of 25 Twilight Orphans” by James Stanhope-Brown published in 1989. It’s available for loan from Cheshire Libraries.

All the best Genna
Brassington - Leek
Byrne - Liverpool and Macclesfield
Crooks - Liverpool and St Helens
Chittenden - Kent
Gorse - St Helens
Martin - Kent and India
Rimmer, Scott - Lancashire
Little - India
Gilliard - Essex and Kent
Brookes, Woolley - Worcestershire

Offline lightness

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 30 July 19 05:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Tutin66

I would be interested in asking yourself if you remember my Father - Cornelius, 'Corny' or 'Ian', who was at Styal from around 1945 - 1950. He may of been a year older than yourself (born 1943 and taken to Styal from around 2 years of age or so).

As you mentioned, it was not a positive experience & he was finally adopted in 1950 at the age of 7 where he went on to live a good life !

Feel free to PM me or reply to this message if possible