Author Topic: Not always the indexer's fault - or earliest Gay Marriage ?  (Read 3824 times)

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Not always the indexer's fault - or earliest Gay Marriage ?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 17 December 10 15:54 GMT (UK) »
I don't think a gay engine driver would have lasted long in 1992, yet alone 1892.

I am delighted to say you are wrong. A good friend of mine, a gay engine driver, has been living with his guard partner since 1989!

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 17 December 10 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Genuinely pleased to hear that, the depots I worked at mainly in the North and Midlands were extremely macho even in the 1990s.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 03 January 11 20:00 GMT (UK) »
The point I was making is that everyone jumps to the conclusion that information that appears to be wrong is the fault of the transcriber. It is not our job (as a transcriber as kiwi pointed out)to go searching through other records to find the correct information but rather to transcibe exactly what is written.
No, not everyone. Usually the complaints come when the transcription is clearly different to the original, not when the original is just plain "different".
Although, I wouldn't have much concern about a wife called Charles because as has already been said the wife was Charlotte.
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Stanley Charles SCALES b.1899 - Where are you?    ***   

Offline amazon510

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 03 January 11 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Of course, then there is the case of my mother-in-law whose middle name was Joseph.  Apparently the godparents forgot what the middle name was supposed to be (local tradition was that the parents did not attend the baptism) so the priest picked a name, apparently at random.   ::)

J.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 03 January 11 20:12 GMT (UK) »
My mother was known as Jim all her life; real name Emily.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)