Author Topic: O'Brien and Cahill Families from Tralee area  (Read 4631 times)

Offline glove

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
O'Brien and Cahill Families from Tralee area
« on: Thursday 16 December 10 06:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello Everyone
My great grandparents were John O'Brien born abt 1856 in Killarney and Deborah Cahill (possibly born to John Cahill and Julia Broshinan in Aldershot England abt 1856). John and Deborah moved to Queensland Australia abt 1883. I know that Deborah's parents, John and Julia, were married abt 1852 in Tralee and that John and Debora(h) were married in Boherbee, Tralee 21 Jan 1882.

I am looking for any information on the Irish side as I know nothing else about the pair except that Deborah may have had a sister Margaret who married a James O'Shea or Shea and went to America to live abt 1882/3, a brother Maurice born abt 1854 and another sister Ellen born abt 1860 and who also settled in Australia. Julia, Deborah's mum, may have died in Ireland and John may have moved to be with his daughter Margaret in America.

As to the O'Brien side I know nothing except that his father was John and his mother was Mary. If anyone is able to shed light on the families I would greatly appreciate it.
Cheers!....................Jenny

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: O'Brien and Cahill Families from Tralee area
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 December 10 08:05 GMT (UK) »
The place to start for pre-civil registration Kerry records is with the parish records on line at : www.irishgenealogy.ie This website covers Catholic and Church of Ireland records for most of Co. Kerry.

see also : Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline glove

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 December 10 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the information but I have already searched the site. Although I did come across John and Deborah's marriage I will wait for it to be digitized so I can purchase it. I also found some Cahill's on the site but as to John I have lucked out at this moment.

Once again thanks for your input

Cheers!.....................Jenny

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 December 10 10:57 GMT (UK) »
I dont think you'll need (or be able) to purchase anything... the IrishGenealogy website is free, so if they add register images for the parish you need, then you can just print out a copy yourself.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline glove

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 December 10 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Shane. I have printed out John and Deborah's marriage but it is not the same as sighting the original document. So if the records becomes digitized and I do not have to pay that would be nice but on the other hand, I would purchase a copy if I had to.

Cheers!.................Jenny

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 December 10 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Did you get the baptismal records for Maurice (12 Mar 1854)and Ellen Cahil
(8 Dec 1860)?

annclare
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline glove

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 December 10 01:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi AnnClare

Yes I did thanks. I also found another possible brother on familysearch. His name was daniel cahill born abt 1866. As to Margaret, John and Deborah, my searches in England have been fruitless. The reason why I say that Deborah was born in Aldershot England is that great grandad, John O'Brien, listed that as her place of birth on her death certificate. He also listed Tralee as their place of marriage and that is what sent me searching the irishgenealogy site.

Thanks for you reply. It is much appreciated.

Cheers!...............Jenny