Author Topic: William Edward Gardiner - Cranbrook, BC, Canada  (Read 7331 times)

Offline Rustyscupp

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Edward Gardiner - Cranbrook, BC, Canada
« on: Thursday 16 December 10 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Looking for information on the above person or any family that may be recorded, or indeed any pointers on how & where to start looking.

William Edward Gardiner was born at Coragh, Galloon, Fermanagh, Ireland 23 Sep 1903. He emigrated to Canada April 1926. He joined the RCMP 26 Jun 1929 & server 32 years leaving as a Seargent on full pension on 26 Feb 1961. He is thought to have passed away 16 May 1994 aged 90, location given was Cranbrook BC.

I have already contacted both Funeral Services in the area, with no results. I have contacted the "Townsman" Newspaper in the area, again no results. I live in UK so am unsure of any resources that may be useful in that area over the web.

I have been in contact with RCMP Historical Section that have passed on a breakdown of his service record, The RCMP Veterans Society say they have nothing they can add to what I already have. Suprising that an organisation that prides itself with the unofficial moto "We always get our man", seem to have lost one!

Any & all help welcome.

Thanx
Rusty
Fermanagh, N.Ireland. Gardiner, Bryans, Clingan, Fawcett, Downey, Armstrong and any marriages into Gardiner or Bryans (incl Variants of all names).
Gardiner in Victoria, Australia.
Ireland names in Lanarkshire & Midlothian, Scotland.
Gray & Jamieson Names in Unst Shetland Is.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Edward Gardiner - Cranbrook, BC, Canada
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 December 10 23:57 GMT (UK) »
http://www.rcmpgraves.com/
He's in this database with the information regarding date and place of death that you gave in your post.  Quarterly obit index - Volume 59(4).  Have you been given any information from this source - it might just be a notation of his death but it might also give more information.

Debbie

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 December 10 01:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rusty

You might try contacting the volunteer for the Slocan Valley and West Kootenays on the Random Acts of Genealogy Kindness website.  I think Cranbrook would be considered part of the West Kootenays.  She might be able to locate an obituary if you can give her the date of death.

http://www.raogk.org/bcolumbia.htm

The death is too recent for access to the death registration....only registrations up to 1988 are currently available.

I don't know if we have any BC Rootschatters in the Cranbrook area.

Susan

Offline Rustyscupp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 December 10 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Cosmac & Susano,

I already have the info from the RCMPGraves site, But am still waiting for a couple of bits of info I hope will narrow the search a little. I have had a good look through the resources on this sit too. But as the death was 1994 privacy laws restrict most of the information. I don't expect someone to do all my research for me, so I'll keep the RAOGK up my sleeve if I can find more specific requirements they may be able to help with. However as allways, I am gratefull for all the advice & help I can get, I just don't like to take advantage.

Rusty
Fermanagh, N.Ireland. Gardiner, Bryans, Clingan, Fawcett, Downey, Armstrong and any marriages into Gardiner or Bryans (incl Variants of all names).

Offline J.A.M.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pte. Alexander McCalmont C.E.F. 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 December 10 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rusty,

You may not have had any success with the local newspaper but did you try the library?

http://www.cranbrookpubliclibrary.ca/

Cranbrook is a town of about 20,000 which could be considered small. The library staff of small communities often know a lot of the residents.

Also have you checked the area nursing homes? The man was 90 & probably not able to care for himself in his declining years.

Good hunting.

Roger
Islandmagee, County Antrim, Ireland

Offline Rustyscupp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 December 10 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roger,

Thanks for that, 2 possibilities I never even considered, I'll give them a try.

Rusty

Offline Rustyscupp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 January 11 11:00 GMT (UK) »
I have found a few new pieces of information.

Now asking if anyone lives in the area of Cranbrook BC and is able to take some photo's (if there are headstones).

All at Westlawn Cemetery, Cranbrook BC

Block H, Plot 35 - Catherine Gardiner (first wife)
Block H, Plot 36 Iva Elizabeth Gardiner (2nd wife) & William Edward Gardiner (buried in same grave).

Also any other "Gardiner" graves that may be in this Cemetery.

Rusty

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 07 January 11 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rusty

Cranbrook is situated in a mountainous region of the province so will have a lot of snow right now.  Photos of the cemetery plots would likely not be possible until the spring melt.

If there are no RCers in that area, try contacting a voluteer on the RAOGK site.

Good news that you have located some gravesites.  I see on the pilot family search site, that the first wife, Catherine Gardiner, died in 1965.  Would you like a transcription of her death registration?  I can look it up on my next trip to the FHS library.

Susan

Offline Rustyscupp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 07 January 11 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Susan,

Thanks for the information, being in UK I don't think of these things,

Re the transcription, no need I have a copy of Catherine's death cert, but thanks anyway.

However I still seek info on the death of his second wife Iva Elizabeth Gardiner (Mitchell from previous marriage, nee ?) (she died 9 Dec 1995 & I suspect due to the privacy laws in Canada, I will have to wait a while).

Thanks to all the help & advice given, I've come a long way from my original plea for help. So progress has been made.

Rusty