Author Topic: BLUE LAIRD..Rox.Scot  (Read 2193 times)

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
BLUE LAIRD..Rox.Scot
« on: Friday 17 December 10 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Help please!
...Between 1700 and 1850 ish,I am running into a place called...BLUE LAIRD  in Rox Scot.
As early OPR are showing deaths..at" Blue Laird" on who I well believe are my ancestors...Richardson.
So far I have found 3 notations one easy to read and the other two iffy...

So..where in relation to Hawick is/was "Blue Laird" ??
I have scrounged 4 maps  that I own  ( old ones ) and even tried Google.
Any and all help always appreciated,thanks in advance
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: BLUE LAIRD..Rox.Scot
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 December 10 01:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I can't find that place name anywhere. Could you give the name of the ancestor/s associated with Blue laird and perhaps someone will be able to work it out?
Rae
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cline: Ireland and Berwick on Twieed
Collin: Eyemouth
Clyne: Ireland, Berwickshire, Northumberland
Barns, Barnes: Fife
Walker: Edinburgh & Stirling
Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire
Cormack, Campbell, Sutherland, Doull: Caithness

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 December 10 01:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Excel..thanks for reply..Furthur info as follows.
Feb 17 1782 Lizzy Nimo spouse to James RICHARDSON  .. Blue Laird
Feb   9 1803 Christian Richardson daug to George RICHARDSON..Blue Laird
Jun 19 1824 James RICHARDSON....Blue Laird.
 ...so you can see why I am seeking a place, of sorts or a farm land name,which was often used back then to ID families.
  RICHARDSON of Hawick and area is who I am chasing these days.
Thaks all for reading and any help.
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 December 10 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi

According to Douglas Scott, author of the mighty online Hawick Word Book, 'Blue laird' is not a placename, but a nickname. As it seems to apply to three generations of your family, presumably the nickname was hereditary in the same way as a real title!

Scott mentions George Richardson as the possessor of the nickname, but the only other information he gives about him is that he was 'of the West End'.

About the West End, Scott says: 'being approximately the part of the town to the west of the Slitrig and south of the Teviot. It was traditionally where the workers and poorer residents lived and where the strongest dialect was spoken'.

Regards,

Lesley
Bradley, Gledhill, Dodson, Norcliffe, Kaye, Matthewman- all Berry Brow/Almondbury
Webster- Northowram
Brick wall: Maria Blaymires  c 1800 Northowram

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 December 10 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Lesley,..Angels come in all forms...Thank you so very much...
I had forgotten to check what the" Hawick Word Book" had to say.
..but I was also remembering something I read years ago..it was in regards to an area where the stone and rocks were "bluish"somewhere in Rox. (?)
...Yet 3 Richardson names apearing there had my mind whirling...
It is awfull how we often look for the hardest first.
   You get.... A+.... and double the Christmas Greetings !!
                                 :)    :)