Author Topic: Co Cork - GRO Registration District - Mitchelstown  (Read 2791 times)

Offline HugoBeauchamp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Co Cork - GRO Registration District - Mitchelstown
« on: Saturday 18 December 10 14:58 GMT (UK) »
When using 'Record Search Pilot' in Co Cork, I think I am beginning to understand maybe why I had been unable to find any 'possible' relations in the 'Registrars District of Mitchelstown in the Union of Mitchelstown' sometime after July 1915.

If my guess is correct, the Mitchelstown Union was "taken over" by the Fermoy Union and it seems that Mitchelstown, as a 'Registration District Index Filter' ceased to exist sometime after July 1915 when my gt grandfather died in the Union of Mitchelstown and June 1917 when gt granny died in the Union of Fermoy.

Is there anyone on the Co Cork List who may be able to tell me if this is so before I send off for another lot of BMD certs that will probably turn out to surplus to requirements?

Thanks

H :-\
Drogheda, Co Louth - Magee/McGee
Dublin City - Brady, Magee/McGee, McNally, Sheridan, Taylor
Mitchelstown, Co Cork - Hyland, Martin, Russell
Ballyporeen, Co Tipperary - Russell

Offline skibbgirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Co Cork - GRO Registration District - Mitchelstown
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 December 10 16:27 GMT (UK) »
I wish I had a definitive answer for you but all I  know at this point is that

1)  The 1914 Francis Guy's Cork Directory listed Mitchelstown with a Union and with registration districts Mitchelstown and Kildorerry, however we always know that by the time directories go to press there could have been changes made,

http://www.failteromhat.com/guy/mitchelstown.htm

2)  People have been mentioning a similar problem with Mitchelstown on genealogy boards at least since 2001 and it annoyingly nobody posts an informative followup.

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/IRL-LIMERICK/2001-03/0983834881

As far as I can tell it looks like Mitchelstown registration functions could have been absorbed by Tipperary, Clogheen, Fermoy, Mallow, and Kilmallock.  There is probably also some absorption by Limerick.

Maybe an email to the GRO would help?  Surely somebody there could give you a definitive answer.  Do your existing certs you have say something like: 

Registrar's District of Mitchelstown in the Superintendent Registrar's District of Mitchelstown in the Union of Mitchelstown? 

If so, then when you contact them, make it clear that you want to know what happened to the Registrar's District of Mitchelstown.

http://www.groireland.ie/contact_details.htm

In the meantime I am still poking around for a post-1915 list of the local Registrar's offices.
PLEASE POST YOUR QUESTIONS TO THE BOARD, NOT THROUGH PM, so that everybody can take a shot at answering your question and benefit from the information.  I cannot respond to requests through private emails.

Barnane, Cahalane, Collins, Connolly, Driscoll, Hourihane, Hurley, Looney, McCarthy, Mahony, Sweeney, Young  in Skibbereen area of southwest County Cork, Ireland; Regan in RoaringWater bay area and in Caheragh parish

Offline HugoBeauchamp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 December 10 07:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that Skibbgirl, following on from your post, I have attached the top part of each of the two death certificates. Unfortunately the 1917 copy from Roscommon does not show the Superintendent Registrars District, I'll ask them to let me know which district it was.

Both deaths occurred in Mitchelstown and and were registered by the eldest son still living at home.

There is certainly some scope for compiling a list of how Registration Districts have changed/amalgamated etc over the years - similar to that shown on the <<REGISTRATION DISTRICTS IN ENGLAND AND WALES (1837-1974)>> of GenUKI at http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/

H

Offline agho

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 December 10 19:26 GMT (UK) »
not sure if this will make things any clearer but in the 1921 Guys City and County directory the following note is added to the Mitchelstown records page 131: "For Poor Law purposes Mitchelstown Union has
been amalgamated with Fermoy Union"
In the 1913 directory the Registration district is given as Mitchelstown page 414
see the Directories on www.corkpastandpresent.ie
Local Studies departments of Irish libraries may have further copies of Guys to help you narrow it down.
Burns Scotland/Australia/Cork
Fitzgerald East Cork
Lynch Glanmire/Glounthaune
Walsh Clare/Westmeath
Haskett
Murley Cork

Offline HugoBeauchamp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 December 10 13:55 GMT (UK) »
I called The GRO in Roscommon this morning and they confirmed that Mitchelstown was in the Superintendent Registrars District of Fermoy when the death certificate was issued in 1917.

H