Author Topic: Bere Regis Dorset/Kane Croft  (Read 8757 times)

Offline chloed

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Bere Regis Dorset/Kane Croft
« Reply #9 on: Friday 15 April 11 12:08 BST (UK) »
There is still an established hunt in winterborne kingston, just north of bere regis,now known as the south dorset, if you look on a map and see a hilly bit called alderton clump its just by there.
davis,pantell,pearce.hereford<br />barker,hunter,marshall,,berkshire.<br />notting,small,vincent,house,michel,vyvans,tubbs,spearing,burriss,candy,chaldecott,dorset.<br />meyer,grant,heale,pengilly,winget,hawkins,devon.<br />lawes,dyke,drewett,coster,wilts/hants.<br />worwood,whellock,griffith,lee,,card,randall,london/lambeth/rotherhithe ,east wickham.young,tooley,nevil,chipping norton.legg, cheshunt.<br />scott,smither,spencer,taylor, farnham;surrey. halfacre ,hants.

Offline Edk

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 16 November 11 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Kane Croft was the Kennel-Huntsman of the South Dorset Hunt from 1898 untill 1904. The Kennels were at Eastfield Farm near Winterbourne Kingston. The Kennel-Huntsman is the head employee of a hunt when the Master hunts the hounds himself. The Kennel-Huntsman is in charge of looking after the hounds making sure they are properly fed and exercised and the kennels kept clean. It is a very responsible position and he would have had a number of men working under him He would have been something of a local celebrity known to all the local Gentry, farmers and farmworkers. In 1898 there were 25 couple of hounds i.e. 50 and they hunted two days per week on Mondays and Thursdays. The hunting season started as soon as the harvest was completed in September and continued untill March or April in the spring. Each hunt has its own registered country to hunt in and they are the only pack to operate there. The South Dorset covered an area some 20 miles North South and 15 Miles East West from Poole Harbour and Blandford in the East to Weymouth and Dorchester in the West and North to the Edge of the Blackmoor Vale. The Master at this time was Mr J Ashton Radcliffe who lived at Tolpuddle and was Master from 1894 untill 1920. I believe that Kane had earlier in his career been whipper-in to Tom Firr at the Quorn Hunt in Leicestershire (one of the most famous huntsman and hunts of all time) and his birthplace of Artingworth in Northamptonshire is in the Pytchley Hunt country another famous pack. I believe that Kane left the South Dorset in the Autumn of 1904 at the start of the season which is an unusual time I am not sure if he was dismissed or if ill health or an accident was the cause.

I am sorry but this persons email notifications are no longer working 2015

Offline kilmartin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 16 November 11 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Edk,  I read with interest your post regarding the South Dorset Hunt.  I am interested if you know where I might find out about hunt members.  My ancestor Thomas Robbins was probably with the South Dorset in the 1920s & 1930s but I would like to find out more.

Offline TheWife

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 13 July 15 18:54 BST (UK) »
There is still an established hunt in winterborne kingston, just north of bere regis,now known as the south dorset, if you look on a map and see a hilly bit called alderton clump its just by there.
Kane Croft was the Kennel-Huntsman of the South Dorset Hunt from 1898 untill 1904. The Kennels were at Eastfield Farm near Winterbourne Kingston. The Kennel-Huntsman is the head employee of a hunt when the Master hunts the hounds himself. The Kennel-Huntsman is in charge of looking after the hounds making sure they are properly fed and exercised and the kennels kept clean. It is a very responsible position and he would have had a number of men working under him He would have been something of a local celebrity known to all the local Gentry, farmers and farmworkers. In 1898 there were 25 couple of hounds i.e. 50 and they hunted two days per week on Mondays and Thursdays. The hunting season started as soon as the harvest was completed in September and continued untill March or April in the spring. Each hunt has its own registered country to hunt in and they are the only pack to operate there. The South Dorset covered an area some 20 miles North South and 15 Miles East West from Poole Harbour and Blandford in the East to Weymouth and Dorchester in the West and North to the Edge of the Blackmoor Vale. The Master at this time was Mr J Ashton Radcliffe who lived at Tolpuddle and was Master from 1894 untill 1920. I believe that Kane had earlier in his career been whipper-in to Tom Firr at the Quorn Hunt in Leicestershire (one of the most famous huntsman and hunts of all time) and his birthplace of Artingworth in Northamptonshire is in the Pytchley Hunt country another famous pack. I believe that Kane left the South Dorset in the Autumn of 1904 at the start of the season which is an unusual time I am not sure if he was dismissed or if ill health or an accident was the cause.

Kane Croft is an Ancestor of mine and I have been looking for years to find him. Iam so grateful to fine this post about him. I have some further information. Iam not sure why he left this hunt, but I find him living in Strabane IReland in the 1911 census with his wife who was originally from ireland. I have also found a death for him in 1915 given occupation as working for the muskerry hunt, do not know as yet how he died
Iam Researching the names Craft/Croft, Garnett in the Northamptonshire Area ie Braybrooke, Arthingworth and surrounding. also Bastin East Woodhay Berks or Hamps not sure which is correct

Offline TheWife

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 13 July 15 21:19 BST (UK) »

Kane Croft is an Ancestor of mine and I have been looking for years to find him. Iam so grateful to fine this post about him. I have some further information. Iam not sure why he left this hunt, but I find him living in Strabane IReland in the 1911 census with his wife who was originally from ireland. I have also found a death for him in 1915 given occupation as working for the muskerry hunt, do not know as yet how he died
it has taken me 4 years to reply to my initial request. Thank you so much. Have searched for ages and could not remember where I posted. It was a bad time for me andy family when I first asked for help. So thankful to still find the information on here xxx
Iam Researching the names Craft/Croft, Garnett in the Northamptonshire Area ie Braybrooke, Arthingworth and surrounding. also Bastin East Woodhay Berks or Hamps not sure which is correct