Author Topic: Winnipeg Manitoba - Baskerville Family  (Read 7125 times)

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Winnipeg Manitoba - Baskerville Family
« on: Sunday 19 December 10 16:05 GMT (UK) »
I hope someone can help me.

I am trying to find out if there were 2 William Baskerville's living in Winnipeg who were old enough to have a son in the 2nd World War?

I have 1 William Baskerville who immigrated to Winnipeg, following his sister Harriet who was married to Hugh Blair. My William Baskerville was born on April 4, 1876 in Glasgow, Scotland. His parent's were David Baskerville and Helen Cheyne.

The reason I'm asking, is that I have found a John Edward Baskerville who was killed in the 2nd World War. His father was William Francis Baskerville who was living at 254 Lansdowne Avenue in 1940 at the time his son was killed. I am trying to find out if this William and my William were one and the same.

I am not even sure that my William remained in Canada, or if he went back to Scotland. I have not been able to find a death for him anywhere. I also don't know if he ever married.

I have a few passenger lists for him. I gather he went back and forth to visit. On one of them, it shows him going back to stay with my great-grandfather David Baskerville in Glasgow. It also shows his address in Winnipeg in 1928 as 511 Greenwood Place.

Possibly someone has access to city directories or even marriage and/or deaths that would show his parents names.

Thank you.

Janice
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline vbain

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Winnipeg Manitoba - Baskerville Family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 December 10 16:36 GMT (UK) »
You are fortunate in being able to see some genealogical Vitals.
http://vitalstats.gov.mb.ca/ListView.php
Then, nust put in Baskerville ( there are quite a few)

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 December 10 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Thank you!

I apologize for not being clear on what I was trying to find out. I do know about that site, but was more interested in knowing if at the time of the 2nd World War, if there were 2 William Baskerville's possibly living at the addresses I listed above.

I am curious, as there is a family resemblance between the gentleman killed, and my family.

I was also hoping that possibly someone had access to newspaper articles showing obituaries, as sometimes they list parents names, and in the case of those who immigrated, might ask for the newspapers of their originating country to copy. They also might list other family members, such as sisters and brothers. My William had a sister and brother-in-law also living in Winnipeg by the names of Harriet and Hugh Blair. (In 1911, they were living at 479 Simcoe Street, Winnipeg.) My great-grandfather's name was David, who was William's brother, and my great-great grandparents were David Baskerville and Helen (Ellen) Cheyne.

My William, more than likely would have still been alive past the date shown for deaths on the vitals site.

Hope this helps.

Janice
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 December 10 19:41 GMT (UK) »
The following website is the Winnipeg Free Press archives.  It is a pay site, however.
http://archives.winnipegfreepress.com/

Most Canadian newspapers had a lot of coverage of the casualties, POWs and MIAs during WW2.  I recently found a couple of short articles about my uncle who was MIA and presumed killed....but for the life of me I can't remember where I found them online.

Susan

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 December 10 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janice,

Hope this link will work ..... it is a page from thw Winnipeg directory 1932, if I remember correctly, and there are 2 Williams listed but at different addresses.
One of the addresses is 254 Lansdowne.

http://peel.library.ualberta.ca/bibliography/921.53/392.html

Polarbear

We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 December 10 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Janice

Did your William have a middle name?  I note on the directory pages that Polarbear posted link to that one is William and the other is William F.

Susan

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 December 10 00:40 GMT (UK) »
First off, thank you to both Susano and Polarbear.

I appreciate the links, as I did not have them before.

As far as a middle name goes, I'm not sure at all. I have looked through my records, but have been unable to find one. I know with some of my relatives, I can find their middle names easily, where others are more difficult.

I did however notice that William F had "tchr" "h" beside his name. The other William had only "r" beside his. Could the "r" mean renting? I know that on at least one of the passenger lists William claims to be retired, although he would have been the only one in my line to be able to retire so young.

Janice

Offline mrwilson

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 December 10 01:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janice,

Here's a John Edward Baskerville, killed in WW2,    http://www.aircrewremembrancesociety.com/raf1939/baskerville.html
newspaper article... http://www.aircrewremembrancesociety.com/raf1939/baskerville%20newspaper.html

Son of William Francis and Minnie Maude Baskerville, 254 Lansdowne, sister Florence, husband of Jane Beatty Baskerville (nee Evans), Winnipeg

hope the extra names help.

mrwilson
Wilson     - Manchester
Cowburn - Manchester, Canada
Beswick   - Manchester
Macmillan - Canada, USA

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 December 10 01:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janice

A William Francis Baskerville married a Minnie Myrtle Cook in Winnipeg on April 24, 1907....maybe coincidental.

I see on the CWGC site that John Edward Baskerville was not in the Canadian Air Force but rather the Royal Air Force and his nationality is shown as United Kingdom.

Was your William Baskerville married?

Susan