Author Topic: Home Children  (Read 30470 times)

Offline Sal1525

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Home Children
« Reply #81 on: Tuesday 08 March 11 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello Delfryn, JJ and Polarbear,

Sorry for my abscence, been very busy and sorting out my PC, back on line now.
Wow! Fantastic.
Delfryn welcome aboard. I shall contact you personally, but if you are able to post anything publicly it may benefit others that review HC pages. And, further reward JJ , Polarbear and others that have contributed to this thread. To whom I am indebted.
And yes I am very interested to learn more about what information you have and happy to share.
OOh, its all very exciting.
Shall make contact shortly and be back on line later today-JJ and PB.
Thankyou.
Jordan. Bartlett. Arnold. Beaney. Pickett. Brazil.  Huckstep. Eastwood. Potter. Dighton. French----Kent. Bucks. Essex. Sussex. London.  Kirby. Martin----Ireland.
Brewin. Gregory. Dixon. Merchant. Welsh. Leicestershire. Lincolnshire.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Tuesday 08 March 11 14:24 GMT (UK) »
delfryn, welcome to rootschat. Any information regarding the living can be sent through the personal message system, by hitting the green scroll under stomper's name
Stomper!   :D Very pleasing to see distant rellies come together on our threads. Extremely gratifying to help on BHC threads, and every now & then we have the additional pleasure of bringing people together...BONUS!
J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Sal1525

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Tuesday 08 March 11 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Couldn`t have done it without you and the other people that contribute to the boards and threads.
I have sent a PM to Delfryn and we are going to email one another which is very pleasing.

Also I found a 1911 census entry for William George Arnold, resident of Barnados at Mile End, London. Age 12.
He left the following year `to stay with friends` but I would think they would have to be responsible adults, due to his age ? Foster parents perhaps?
I am currently looking for more info on him.
Be back tomorrow_day off-to carry on the searches. Big hug and thanks to you all.
Jordan. Bartlett. Arnold. Beaney. Pickett. Brazil.  Huckstep. Eastwood. Potter. Dighton. French----Kent. Bucks. Essex. Sussex. London.  Kirby. Martin----Ireland.

Offline Sal1525

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Wednesday 09 March 11 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi.
William George Arnold was a resident in Barnados, Mile End Juvenile Mission. 1911.
Age 12 Released age 13.
Barnados boys were thier wards until the age of 18 years , girls 21 years.
So I am wondering if William went on to one of thier Training Schools or another Home, I will chase that up shortly.
I found a Marraige in Chatham 1920 Sep qtr, 2A 2145- to a Lily Arnold, she also from Chatham, and I am fairly certain it is him, which means that he may well have returned to the family fold.
The nearest Barnados Home that I came across was in Tonbridge Wells, would anyone know of another  Home near/in Medway?
When I read up on some of the family sites linked to HC/Barnados it became clear that some Mothers and family members used to visit thier children in care and some eventually reunited with thier children, which is a warming thought.
Unable at present to ascertain what become of William after 1920, work, children, death etc.
I could not find William in any of the Canadian records, so he probably wasn`t sent to Canada along with his siblings.
Is there anyone willing to look up Canada resources to confirm my findings that William George Arnold, B/ 1898 Chatham Kent did not emigrate? Would be much appreciated.
 Be back soon, off to look for death entries for Willam and Lily.

Offline Sal1525

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Wednesday 09 March 11 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Have death details for Lily and William Arnold.
William --1898__1961 Chatham. Kent
Lily -1897--1973 Chatham Kent

An interesting site to view for Barnados Children,  that has photos and detailed descriptions of some of the Homes, ie, Babies Castle, Hawkhurst Kent.  Under 8`s
Girls Village Home, Essex,
Along with other website links and webpages of former Barnados Children, to name but a few items.;
  http://www.goldonion.org
Be back soon.

Offline zodiac1974

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Tuesday 27 May 14 17:56 BST (UK) »
Hi, this is a message for Sal1525, the Lily Lydia and William George Arnold in question are my great-grandparents and I'm constructing a family tree and believe we may be able to help one another if you can get in touch. Sorry for the late post but have only just come across your information online.

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Sunday 19 April 15 13:00 BST (UK) »
We now have a database for British Home Childen on RootsChat:

See Topic: A Rootschat Database for British Home Children
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=716214.0

DBSIG access:
>> Reference Library (link at bottom of every RootsChat page)
>> DBSIG - Database for Special Interest Groups
>> Select your interest

regards,
Bob

ps one reason for posting this here is to alert all the contributors on this topic,
who don't log in to RootsChat very often :)
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Sunday 19 April 15 18:59 BST (UK) »
hello Bob, Not sure if you were aware that there is a home child resource thread where you can also post a link.  I was trying to keep track of home children threads when I found them on rootschat, until I was locked out of modification.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=355348.msg2045534#msg2045534
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline susieb117

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Tuesday 04 August 20 18:14 BST (UK) »
Hello, new to this site but intrigued to see links and information relating to my paternal grandfather William George Arnold, ex Barnados boy.  He married my grandmother on 5/8/20 in Chatham Kent and went on to have 13 children, to include my Father Ronald.  I'm really interested to find out about other siblings of my grandparents, particularly the Barnados children who were sent to Canada. Many thanks.