Author Topic: COMPLETED THANK YOU - DENMARK - birth certificate Otto Madsen  (Read 3312 times)

Offline scraps1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
COMPLETED THANK YOU - DENMARK - birth certificate Otto Madsen
« on: Tuesday 21 December 10 21:41 GMT (UK) »
 :)  Where to start with Danish records to locate a birth certificate?  I have information that my grandfather, Otto Christian Madsen was christened on 28 Oct 1860 at Frue Kirke Or Vor Frue Kirke, Kobenhavn, Denmark.  I am looking for his parents too who I believe are Soren Madsen and Magdalone Hermansen and cannot find anything that links these people together.  Would the name Madsen/Soren/Otto be interpreted as something else that I am missing?
Appreciate anyone who can help me.
 :-\
Sue
Caughie, Caughey, Connor, Madsen, Heiner, Stride, Magnus, Murphy, Bennett

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: DENMARK - birth certificate Otto Madsen
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 December 10 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Have you seen children of Soren Madsen and Magdalene Hermanson listed in IGI (www.familsearch.org)?
1. Anna Elisabeth Magdalene Madsen christened 28 Sept. 1862 Frue Kirke Or Vor Frue Kirke, Kobenhavn, Kobenhavn, Denmark
2. Soren Valdemar Madsen christened 22 Apr.1864 Frue Kirke Or Vor Frue Kirke, Kobenhavn, Kobenhavn, Denmark

Marriage is also here but there might be several other children-
Soren Madsen and Magdalene Hermandsen married 12 Oct.1855 Helligaands Kirke, Kobenhavn, Kobenhavn, Denmark
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline scraps1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 December 10 05:48 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I have seen that and that is where I got my info from originally... the children are all right as they are my deceased rels however I can't find the marriage... Perhaps I need to go back and look again more closely.  I have searched in other genealogical sites and can't find any of them for some reason, hence my wondering whether the names are changed or some such.  If I wanted to order Otto's birth certificate, have you any idea how one would go about that?

Thanks for giving me the heads up about the marriage, I will go back to the drawing board. 

Thanks again for your time.
Sue

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 December 10 11:24 GMT (UK) »
You can get the original parish records here (there would not be, I believe, any separate "birth certificate")
http://www.sa.dk/ao/
http://www.sa.dk/ao/English/default.aspx
https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Danish_Church_Records_Online

They are not name-indexed. You do need to sign up for a username (free) first.
http://www3.sympatico.ca/colin.swift/danish.htm (Danish dictionary for genealogy) will also help.

The church you are looking for is listed in their records just as "Vor Frue"  (kirke = church).  Baptismal records are separated into those for boys and those for girls. Also, because of delays in baptisming some children, the records aren't always completely alphabetical.

In this case, if you look for Vor Frue records, 1859-1864 baptisms, and page (opslag) 54, Otto is the second from the bottom, parents as you give them.

Lots of records aren't indexed yet so it's not surprising that you can't find some of them.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline scraps1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: COMPLETED THANK YOU - DENMARK - birth certificate Otto Madsen
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 December 10 05:08 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for the info re Otto.  I have registered with Statens Arkivers and found the record of birth.  You wouldn't be able to tell me, with the Danish Census, how I would find out what Kvarter the family would be in?  Am not sure where to get that information.

:-\

Sue