Author Topic: Donald C. Christie, Killin area, b. 1830  (Read 4132 times)

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Donald C. Christie, Killin area, b. 1830
« on: Wednesday 22 December 10 08:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone is able to lookup christening records for the Killin, Perthshire area?  Donald Campbell Christie was born on 28 October 1830.  His father was Donald Christie (most likely a farmer at the time).  I think his mother's name was Christina/Christian Campbell, but I am not positive.  I would really like to be able to confirm this once and for all! 

If his mother was Christina/Christian Campbell, would it also be possible to find out if she died soon after her son was born?  The family came to Canada in 1831 and all Canadian census records show that Donald Campbell Christie's father is married to someone else.   

Thanks
RK 

Offline Cambron

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Donald C. Christie, Killin area, b. 1830
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 December 10 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Are you sure of your dates?
On Scotlands People Donald Christie born in Perthshire 1825-1835 gives one in Killin to John Christie/Janet McAlpin in 1829 and one in Kenmore to John Christie/Jean McLaren also in 1829. :'(

Offline Cambron

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 December 10 15:34 GMT (UK) »
In the Ontario Census records the following, detailing three individual Donald Christies from Scotland, might be of interest to you:

1)Brother and sister Donald and Jane Christie are in Reach from 1861 to 1901.They were the children of John and Elisabeth Christie

2)Donald and Christina Christie are in Uxbridge in 1871 with no children

3)Donald, Malcolm and Jane Christie are in Reach in 1871.The Census says Donald is married but no wife is there.Malcolm and Jane are shown to be married but the marks on the document show the Enumerator was uncertain.There are five children
In 1881 in Reach Donald C and Jane Christie are with the same children plus two more.
In 1901 in Brock Donald C is a widower with his three youngest children.He came to Canada in 1855 and died in 1904.
Interestingly the eldest daughter  is named Christina.

Does this help? :)

Offline Cambron

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 December 10 15:48 GMT (UK) »
I should have added that Donald and Christina Christie are in Reach 1881 with their son William aged 9 and also a Margaret.
He is described as Donald P Christie presumably to distinguish him from Donald C who was also in Reach at that time. :)

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 December 10 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello Cambron,

Thanks for all the information.   :)

Yes, I am sure of Donald C Christie's dates.  They are on his tombstone in the Breadalbane Cemetery, Utica, Ontario.  It gives this birth date and says he was born in Perthshire.  He died in 1904 and is buried with his wife Jane and his 2 eldest children, Peter and Christina. 

Donald C. Christie's father was Donald (1796-1844), son of Donald Christie and Jean McIntyre.  Sorry, I wasn't clear in my original post - since Donald Sr. died in 1844, his widow is on the censuses.  Her name was Mary Munro.  I am quite sure that she is NOT Donald C. Christie's mother, but I would like to be able to prove it conclusively with a christening record. 

2 related branches of the Christies of Perthshire came to Canada and settled in the same place.  They use the same names for their children, so it can get quite complicated sorting them out.  The name Donald is particulary popular.  Some of the census records you mentioned are for my branch, some are for the other! 

As for the christening records you mentioned, John Christie and Janet McAlpin are from the other branch of the family, but John Christie and Jean McLaren are from mine.  Their son Donald also married a woman named Jane - but he is a cousin to Donald C. Christie. 

Was it the custom in Scotland at that time to christen the children within a couple of weeks of their birth?   If people waited longer than that, maybe he was christened in Canada?  I had never considered that before.  Though I would be a bit surprised if they would attempt an ocean voyage without christening a child.

RK

Offline Cambron

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 December 10 20:27 GMT (UK) »
You seem to be saying you are interested in Donald C married to Jane with Peter as eldest son and Christina as eldest daughter.His 1901 census report says he came to Canada in 1855 not 1830's as you suggest.
The history of Reach says Donald and Peter Christie were there in the 1830's
It looks as if Donald C came out to join his relatives.
I have played every tune I can think of on SP but your Christies in Kenmore were reluctant to go near the Church as were the ones in Killin.
The locals in Highland Perthshire had to pay to have their children registered.It was common to wait for a few weeks to see if the child survived before going to the Minister to register particularly if the baby was male given male baby mortality was so high
I would suggest you look at the pre 1855 MI Book by Mitchell which gives all the references for Kenmore/Killin.The Kirk Session records are available electronically at NAS Edinburgh.Hopefully they will be online later 2011 :)

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 December 10 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello Cambron,

Thanks for looking so thoroughly for the answer to my question.  You have spent a lot of time on this and I really appreciate it.  That is very interesting information about the christening practices in that part of Scotland.   That may very well explain why the record can't be found. 

I have not heard of the pre1855 MI book by Mitchell, but I will look it up.  It sounds like an excellent resource.   I will also keep a lookout for online records of the Kirk Session records.  Hopefully, they will be available in 2011.  Thank you for mentioning these sources - I am sure they will be a great help in my Christie research!   

That is definitely him on the 1901 census.  I usually don't give much weight to the "year of immigration" on 1901 census records, because it is often suspect.  I have found siblings who arrived together as children in the mid 1800s, but have wildly different immigration dates on the 1901 census.   But, you have started me thinking --

There are several books about Reach Twp/Ontario County history.  They say that the settlers who came in 1831 were the uncles of Peter Christie, Member of Parliament.  That Peter's "Uncle Donald" is Donald C. Christie's father.  The elder Donald certainly came to Canada in 1831.  HOWEVER, it may be possible that Donald C. Christie did not come to Canada with his father Donald and uncle Peter.   He would have been a baby.  If his mother HAD died, his father might not have wanted to take him to Canada right away.  I had never considered this possibility before, but I will look into it.  It is an interesting thought. 

Thanks again for being so helpful.  I really appreciate all the time you put into this.  You have given me lots of really helpful information and some interesting leads. 

RK        

Offline valr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 March 11 00:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I am descended from Christies in Killin - do you know this person's great grandfather? I have a lot of pics of Christie gravestones in Killin.
Scotland -McCall, King, Morrison, Thomson, Mcfarlane, Stewart, Dow, Jolly, Roberston, Christie, Mclaren, Campbell, McGregor
England - Roberts, Steel, Underhill, Brookes, Pope, Stump

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 March 11 02:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Val,

Me too!!  I have been working from the Alexander G. Christie family tree sheets that were circulated through the family in Canada (and likely the US) sometime in the 60s.  My grandmother and I have been working on our tree for many years - concentrating on the North American branches.   She remembers many of the older members of the family.  Pre 1831 (many of the Christie's arrival in Canada), it is still a mystery. 

Donald Campbell Christie (1830-1904) is my gg grandfather.   His father was Donald (1796-1844) and his grandfather was Donald - married to Jean McIntyre.  I am sorry, but I don't know his great grandfather.  That is something I would like to find out.  Cambron searched SP and didn't find any of our Christies.  I located the Mitchell MI book Cambron mentioned and didn't find any of our Christie's either.  I am wondering what might be in the Kirk sessions records that Cambron said would be available in 2011.

A cousin went to Scotland a couple of years ago and had a very hard time reading tombstones.  She did her best to transcribe a few.  If you have photos you would like to share, that would be great!

If you don't mind me asking, how do you descend from the Killin Christies?   I would love to share information :).  If you need any photos of the Breadalbane /Sunderland/Greenbank/Port Perry cemeteries, please let me know.  I am planning a Christie road trip some time this summer.  
RK