Author Topic: Alexander Barron & Janet McDonald - help reading Birth Entry - COMPLETED  (Read 14526 times)

Offline Jnine

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Barron & Janet McDonald - help reading Birth Entry - COMPLETED
« Reply #9 on: Monday 29 August 11 05:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Hector,

That would be great.

I found Mary Ann and Alexander in the 1881 census with children Christina 12, Donald 11, John 9, Alexander 6, Isabella 2 and Kenneth 1.  In the 1891 census John and Alexander are not there, possibly they have died.  I will have to check this.  Also in the 1891 census is Hector aged 5.  On Alexander and Mary Ann's marriage it states Alexander's occupation is a Flesher.  In the 1881 he is a butcher and the 1891 census has him down as a Cattle Dealer.  They married on the 27th December, 1867, Alexander's parents Donald McKenzie and Margaret Finlayson.  I see Hector and Isabella are both dead at this time.
I live in Brisbane Australia.

Regards,

Jane.

Offline Hector99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 29 August 11 15:18 BST (UK) »
hi Jane
I am just going on holiday and will reply when I get back
Regards
Hector

Offline Hector99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane
No I haven't been on holiday all this time!  Things, and computer crashes.  Attached is a a piece of my tree.
Regards
Hector

Offline ghostwhisperer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Gravestone in Tomnahurich, Inverness

5849. Erected by Alexander MacKenzie in memory of his father Donald MacKenzie, late of Allangrange, Ross-Shire who died at Inverness on 12th June 1880. And of his children Margaret Finlayson who died 30th Nov 1882. Duncan Finlayson who died 18th Jan 1890. Also of the aforesaid Alexander MacKenzie, Farmer, Knockbain, Dingwall who died on 11th June 1904 aged 61 years. And his mother Margaret F MacKenzie who died in Feb 1871 and interred in Contin. Also his son Kenneth who passed away 7th Sep 1916. And his wife Mary Ann Morrison who died 6th Oct 1919.

http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp8/Ghostwhisperer_01/2011/5849.jpg

http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp8/Ghostwhisperer_01/2011/5849a.jpg

Offline Susan Morrison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 05 November 12 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hector
I have been researching on and off for a while this line, picking up from where my late father in law left.  I am married to a Morrison from the same line.  I was struggling with Hector b1811 for a while because of this "Date of birth ambiguous depending on material.  Gravestone says he died in 1865 aged 50 therefore he would have been born in 1815. Two Censuses substantiate that but Census of 1851 puts him aged 40 thus born in 1811.  Tracing line back may depend on correct date of birth.
Info in Ullapool museum shows that Hector Morrison born at Lochbroom in 1815 emigrated to Australia so not him then.
Following Hector Urquhart Morrison line at the moment."
So is Hector Urqhart definitely the right line?  I do hope so.  Have you got further information going back?  I have that his parents were John Morrison and Isobel Gollan.
Regards

Susan

Offline Susan Morrison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 05 November 12 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Also, in reply to original post a sawyer is someone who saws wood so trade would have been a carpenter/joiner or woodsman.

My husband is decended from Hector Morrison.  Hector's son John (b 1884) was his grandfather and we are currently interested in him as my daughter is doing a school project on WW1 in which he served (in Cameron Highlanders I believe).  We have an address book with a bullet hole in it which ultimately saved his life as he survived his wounds to live until 1954.  His wife Annie Dunbar was much younger than him as there was a shortage of young men after the great war.

Offline Susan Morrison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 05 November 12 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Found this info from my father-in-laws records.  It suggests John's parents were Norman Morrison anc Christian Fraser.  Just wondering how you have Duncan Morrison & Catherine Chisholm.
(My husband is called Duncan)

JOHN MORRISON / ISOBEL GOLLAN

BIRTH
   JOHN MORRISON son of Norman Morrison and Christian Fraser born 9 Jul 1774                            at   RC/URQUHART and LOGIE WESTER

BIRTH
   ISOBEL GOLLAN daughter of John Gollan and Janet Dingwall born 11 May 1775                            at    RC/KILLEARNAN

Other members of family of John Gollan and Janet Dingwall

Roderick Gollan         born   12 Jul  1764   at   RC / Killearnan
      Janet       -do-                  17 Dec 1766            -do-
      John       -do-                  10 Mar 1769            -do-
      Mary       -do-                  29 Nov 1771            -do-
      Donald    -do-                  31 May 1778            -do-
      Roderick -do-                  13 Feb 1781            -do-

FAMILY of JOHN MORRISON and ISOBEL GOLLAN

John Morrison      christened   15 Apr 1797   at   RC / Urquhart and Logie Wester
      Christian -do-                    2 Jul  1799                     -do-
      Norman  -do-                  27 May 1801                     -do-
      James     -do-                  11 Sep 1803                     -do-
      Roderick-do-                    2 May 1806                     -do-
      Donald   -do-                    2 May 1806                     -do-
      Janet       -do-                  30 Aug 1808                     -do-
      HECTOR-do-                  20 Feb 1811                     -do-
      Isobel     -do-                    7 Sep 1813                     -do-
         Alexander-do-                12 Oct 1819                     -do-

OPR      URQUHART and LOGIE WESTER

HECTOR URQUHART MORRISON  son of JOHN MORRISON and
                                                   ISOBEL GOLLAN born on
                                                      11 Feb 1811 at Newton.

Offline Hector99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 06 November 12 16:56 GMT (UK) »
I have in my possession my gggfather's Gaelic Bible.  This book belongs to Hector Morrison in Newton Kinkell.  I am certain that he is Hector Urquart Morrison.

This was the man that started me off!  The man whose Bible I have.  I searched for him in the birth registers and the Census, but could never be certain I had found the right person.  In those days people did not normally travel far and so the search ought to have been easy.  I spent so much time tracing back possible people to see whether they seemed right or not.  It was several years later that I discovered that the Census enumerators in 1841 were instructed to enter children’s ages accurately, but for adults they had to round the age down to the nearest 5.  This had caused much of the confusion.
 In the 1841 census in Inverness he was shown as 25, implying he was born 1816.  His place of birth was correctly shown as “Out-of-county”. The enumerator should have logged age 30.  In the 1851 Census he was shown as 40 implying 1811, and his place of birth was recorded as Redcastle, a place on the south shore of the Black Isle.  In the 1861 Census, he was shown as 46 implying 1815 and his place of birth was Ferintosh.  His tombstone in Old Inverness Churchyard commemorates his death in 1865, and his son records him as 50.  In all the census records, the children named and counted agree with the children in the Bible, thus confirming that we have the same person.  I can now say confidently that he was born on 20th February 1811 in Newton of Ferintosh on the Black Isle, and his parents were John Morrison and Isobel Gollan.  It has taken me until 2012 to be sure of this.

Interestingly his birth register shows a middle name Urquhart, which he did not put in his Bible, in Census records, or on his tombstone.  The next baby on the register was born to parents with the surname Urquhart.  I suspect the Minister made a mistake!

The flyleaf shows his children

As regards his parents, sadly I did not record how I concluded that I selected the right John Morrison and Isobel Gollan.  Your information looks more logical.

I will PM you

Offline FifiMack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hector Morrison
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 04 October 14 12:09 BST (UK) »
Hi

new to this site, but thought I would post an interesting piece of info:- your message caught my eye due to similarities in the names.

I am directly descended from Hector Morrison born 1815 in Loch Broom, m. Mary McLean, their children were John, Janet, Alex, Mary Ann, Hugh, Isabella and George - all born about 10 years after your family but only 2 in Scotland- the names are very similar, which only adds to the wonderful puzzle genealogy is.

Cheers
fiona