Author Topic: McCaughern/Fee, County Antrim  (Read 5568 times)

Offline Val Familton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McCaughern/Fee, County Antrim
« on: Thursday 23 December 10 02:28 GMT (UK) »
Daniel McCaughern, son of Andrew & Jane McCaughern, b. Abt. 1826, County Antrim, married Jane Fee, daughter of George Fee & Jane Stone, on January 8, 1846 at Kilrea, County Antrim, Northern Island.

They as far as I can ascertain had 5 sons, George b. September 1, 1850; John B. 1855; James, 1861; William, 1862 and Daniel, December, 1864.  I don't know whether they had any daughters.

John, emigrated to Kaitangata, New Zealand as did James & William.  John Married Jane Colvin at Whitehaven, Cumberland.  James did not marry and William married twice, 1) Mary Bewsher, (from Whitehaven), at Kaitangata & 2) Eliza Bewsher (nee Ritchie).  Eliza is my Grandmother.  Eliza was married to Joseph Bewsher, brother of Mary Bewsher.

I think George is the one who went to Australia but don't know what happened to Daniel.  Did Daniel stay in Ireland?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McCaughern/Fee, County Antrim
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 December 10 09:37 GMT (UK) »
To start with, McCaughern (and variations of the surname) is quite common in Rasharkin, Co. Antrim (just across River Bann from Kilrea, Co. Londonderry. It's quite possible your McCaugherns lived on the Co. Antrim side but Daniel married in Kilrea (marriages usually take place in bride's church).

Do you have any idea what religion the family would have been? my first guess is Presbyterian with second choice being Church of Ireland.

PRONI (Public Record Office of Northern Ireland) has a Will for a Daniel McCaughern of Ballydonnelly (Rasharkin area)- "The Will of Daniel M'Caughern late of Ballydonely County Antrim Farmer who died 12 January 1893 at same place was proved at Belfast by John Elder of Lisnagaver said County and Samuel M'Caughern of Ballydonely Farmers the Executors." See www.proni.gov.uk for more details and Will. Mentions wife Liza Ann, son Samuel. Can't find listing in civil index to see his age at death (spelling of surname likely the problem).

The 1901 census is the first complete census for Ireland but fragments of 1851 for Co. Antrim do survive and there's a Mccaghrin family in Lisnagavor townland (Rasharkin area) which seems to tie into the above Will (all b.Co.Antrim)-
Sarah Mccaghrin, Head, widow, 70
Daniel Mccahrin, Grandson, unmarried, 19, farmer
Sarah Mccaghrin, Granddaughter, unmarried, 17
Margaret Mccaghrin, Granddaughter, unmarried, 12
Margaret Elder, Head, widow, 60, land holder
Esther Elder, Daughter, unmarried, 25
Elizabeth Elder, Daughter, unmarried, 24, Dressmaker
William Elder, Son, unmarried, 22, Agriculturist

There's at least one other family in the census (search for 'mcca' and you'll see them-
http://www.ulsterancestry.com/ShowFreePage.php?id=177
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Tinmac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 January 13 03:43 GMT (UK) »
I have just found the above posts. My husbands Grandmother, Violet May McCaughern was married to Johns son, Thomas. Thomas was killed in the great war in 1918 aged 30 years. Violet bore him two sons, John Thomas and Melvin. John Thomas is buried at the Waituna West cemetery, Manawatu along with Violet. Violets maiden name was Eggers.

Moderator Note: see topic on N.Z. board: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,631437

Offline Tinmac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 January 13 02:02 GMT (UK) »
John McCaughern of Kaitangata also had another son named Daniel Colvin ( after his Mother) McCaughern. He moved to Fielding, Manawatu in New Zealand and was a baker and pastry chef. He had the "Excelsior Tea Rooms" in Manchester Street Fileding.

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 February 13 00:27 GMT (UK) »
Is the Andrew McCaughern/McCaughan the one who was a soap boiler and chandler in Ballymoney, County Antrim who died in 1867 aged about 85 years old? If so I'm descended from Andrew's daughter Margaret who married Alexander Reid at Ballymoney registry office on 12 July 1849.

Blue

Offline Jill McCaghern

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 August 13 20:00 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am a descendant of George who did go to Australia in 1875. He married Martha Wilson who was I believe the daughter of Catherine Wilson. i am in Glenties now hoping to find more information before I return to Queensland. I have Martha's birthday book which has O'Fees in it.  I would be interested in your research about George and Catherine

Offline RTB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 August 13 08:40 BST (UK) »
Hi

Well worth a look at this website for McCaughans

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mccaughan/index.html?

Regards

Richard.

Allways looking for McCaughan in Belfast

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 September 13 15:35 BST (UK) »
I never got a reply to my previous post can anyone confirm that the Andrew mentioned was the father of Margaret who married Alexander Reid? More about my people here:-

http://hollandfamilyhistory.weebly.com/reid.html

Blue

Offline alexmills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 April 16 17:56 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have some info on Jane Fee / o'Fee and Daniel McCaughern. A 6th son, Alexander, c 1852 who moved to Whitehaven and married Jane. 2 children, William 1893 and Burnetta ? Silver 1895. And a daughter Nancy Jane c1858-Dec 1880
The family were originally from Gortreighy, Rasharkin.
Daniel 12 Dec 1864, moved to Whitehaven. He married twice - Mary Cleary and Hannah ?with whom he had 4 children, Daniel, Mary, John and Hannah.
Regards
Alex