Author Topic: McCaughern/Fee, County Antrim  (Read 5570 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McCaughern/Fee, County Antrim
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 24 April 16 19:37 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately the original poster never bothered to respond to the replies on this thread  :-\
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline BarbBraswell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 25 April 16 02:16 BST (UK) »
Hi all - Here is the marriage record showing the father as an Alexander McCaughern not an Andrew...Although I think Alexander's father may have been an an Andrew who is recorded in Gortereghy in the 1790 Estate Rent Rolls.

Moderator comment: Certificate removed, small portions only are allowed for deciphering purposes

Offline Jill McCaghern

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 25 April 16 06:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you Alexmills.  I think this proves that my family changed their name from  McCaugheran to McCaghern when they moved to Australia. I have an old birthday book with Jane Fee's name in it and also a Daniel. I will follow this up. Cheers Jill McCaghern

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 25 April 16 09:28 BST (UK) »
Spelling variations are not uncommon and, depending on the record and who wrote it, they would have be McCaughern when they were in Ireland.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Jill McCaghern

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 25 April 16 10:28 BST (UK) »
That is why it is so difficult to find anything on my family I think

Offline Tinmac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 15 March 22 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Daniel McCaughern, son of Andrew & Jane McCaughern, b. Abt. 1826, County Antrim, married Jane Fee, daughter of George Fee & Jane Stone, on January 8, 1846 at Kilrea, County Antrim, Northern Island.

They as far as I can ascertain had 5 sons, George b. September 1, 1850; John B. 1855; James, 1861; William, 1862 and Daniel, December, 1864.  I don't know whether they had any daughters.

John, emigrated to Kaitangata, New Zealand as did James & William.  John Married Jane Colvin at Whitehaven, Cumberland.  James did not marry and William married twice, 1) Mary Bewsher, (from Whitehaven), at Kaitangata & 2) Eliza Bewsher (nee Ritchie).  Eliza is my Grandmother.  Eliza was married to Joseph Bewsher, brother of Mary Bewsher.

I think George is the one who went to Australia but don't know what happened to Daniel.  Did Daniel stay in Ireland?
John and Jane (nee Colvin) are the ones from Kaitangata NZ, they are Thomas's parents. Their Son, Daniel (obviously named after his Grandfather) Colvin McCaughern lived in Fielding which is in the North Island of NZ. Thomas, who married my husband's Grandmother, Violet Eggers in 1915, died in 1918 in the Great War. I have been MIA and now living in Australia

Offline Jill McCaghern

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 15 March 22 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for this extra information. I appreciate it
Cheers
Jill McCaghern - Brisbane Australia (I am known as Jill Duffield now)

Offline Tinmac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 15 March 22 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jill, we are on the Sunshine Coast now. Pretty sure I have the record of John and Jane McCaughern. Kaitangata Cemetery is now a park. Salvageable headstones were apparently grouped together at one end of the park. There was no headstone for John or Jane. I have a photo of Thomases Son's headstone. John Thomas from Waituna West Cemetery and one of John Thomas and his brother, Melvin with their Grandmother Clara Eggers. I do also have a photo of Thomas and Violets wedding in 1915, taken at the Eggers Homestead in Waituna West, it's packed away at present though

Offline Tinmac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 15 March 22 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Clara Louisa Eggers with her Grandchildren. John Thomas on stool and standing at front is Melvin, sons of Thomas McCaughern and Grandchildren of John and Jane (nee Colvin) McCaughern of Kaitangata. John Thomas "Jack" died on Dec 17th 1932 after falling from a bicycle and hitting his head on a rock, he was 16.