Author Topic: ALBIN male born 1868/9 Ottawa  (Read 4699 times)

Offline steve albin

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
ALBIN male born 1868/9 Ottawa
« on: Friday 24 December 10 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Dear Members,

One of my relatives was born in Ottawa on the 19th January in 1868 or 1869. I am sorry but I do not know his first name. I do know that his father died on the 3rd Sep 1884 and I am sorry I do not know his first name either but he was buried at Alfred, Ont about 50 miles from Ottawa.

It would nice to know his name and that of his father buried at Alfred.

Kind regards
Steve

Albin.............Armagh
Bingham.......Leeds
Cooke..........Camden Town,St.Pancrass in London
Charles........Woolwich,Chatham,Gillingham in Kent
Duffey..........Leeds
Glen.............Co.Clare
Irving...........Chatham & Deptford
Mitchell.........Staines in M/sex & Gillingham in Kent
O'Loughlin....Co.Clare
Oyns.............London
Powell...........Leeds
Smokeham....St.Pancras,Camden Town in London

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ALBIN male born 1868/9 Ottawa
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 December 10 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve

You might try searching the Ontario Vital Statistics Project, Birth Registrations at this site for a possible birth:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0awm/

I have not been able to find the birth registrations for my grandfather or his older brother who were born in Ontario around 1873 to 1875.  Either their births were not registered or the records have not survived.

Have you tried searching through any Canada Census to try to identify a likely family?

You can search the 1881 Census at this site:
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/census-1881/index-e.html

You can search the 1901 and 1911 Census at this site.  Select the split screen option to view the actual image on top and transcription below.
http://automatedgenealogy.com/

You can search the 1891 Census at this site:
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/census-1891/001081-100.01-e.php

Finally, here's a link to the Ontario resources on the Canada Resources thread on Rootschat.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,313320.0.html

Good luck and Season's greetings.
Susan

Offline steve albin

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 December 10 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Dear Susan,

I have tried some and many thanks for your contacts.

Kind regards
Steve
Albin.............Armagh
Bingham.......Leeds
Duffey..........Leeds
O'Loughlin....Co.Clare
Oyns.............London
Powell...........Leeds

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 December 10 06:24 GMT (UK) »
http://www.ogsottawa.on.ca/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/ALFRED.pdf

Entry #26 is for William Stewart Albin b. in Armagh Ireland.  I noticed that your signature block links this surname with this area of Ireland.
A possibility as his burial is in the correct area and dates are close to what you have.  How do you have such exact dates of death and birth without a name.

William Stewart Albin, 41, b. abt 1827 Ireland, living in Ottawa, s/o John and Margaret Albin married on 14 Jan 1868 at Ottawa, Carleton to
Emily M. Myers (another source interprets it as Marries - both records are transcriptions only)
26, b. Caledonia, living at Caledonia d/o of Moses and Emily Myers.

At the Basilique Notre Dame Ottawa there is a baptism on 23 April 1873 after a 7 April 1873 birth of George Albion s/o William Stuart Albion and Emily Mariex(?).  Ties in with the above marriage but not with the date of birth you gave.

Debbie

Offline steve albin

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 December 10 07:30 GMT (UK) »
Dear Debbie,

Thank you for your kind help. My family here in Melbourne have kept TWO letters sent to us in 1886 from Canada. The letters, in pristine condition are full of information but the last page for both letters are missing, so we do not know the author  :(

We know the ALBIN'S are from Armagh, Ireland as we have the shipping, original Australian family records and photos going back to 1853.

The Australian shipping records from 1850 show that the parents of my great granfather, John Albin, were also named John and Margaret.

The two letters from Canada explain that one Albin male came to Melbourne, one male went to Canada and one male went to Belfast, Ireland.

Now, the young man who wrote both letters also mentions that he has turned 17 years of age and his father had died in September 1884 BUT the church records say September 1883 and the middle name might be STEWART . The boy author mentions he has no sisters but 3 of his brothers have died before 1886.

I have spotted a Joseph Albin on Ancestry, born 1869, so this may be the author of the two letters.

Kind regards
Steve
Albin.............Armagh
Bingham.......Leeds
Duffey..........Leeds
O'Loughlin....Co.Clare
Oyns.............London
Powell...........Leeds

Offline Francois 15

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 04:32 BST (UK) »
Dear Members,

One of my relatives was born in Ottawa on the 19th January in 1868 or 1869. I am sorry but I do not know his first name. I do know that his father died on the 3rd Sep 1884 and I am sorry I do not know his first name either but he was buried at Alfred, Ont about 50 miles from Ottawa.

It would nice to know his name and that of his father buried at Alfred.

Kind regards
Steve

Hello Steve,

My name is François Pigeon and live in Embrun, Ontario (about 35 kilometers southeast of Ottawa). I am new at RootsChat. Didn't know this website existed until I enquired about the same man you are looking for. Your name came up in the Forum and here I am. Isn't it a coincidence ! Have you found his name yet or still looking for it ? The son's name you are looking for is Thomas William Stuart Albin. His father would be William Tom Albin. However, I'm not 100% sure of the latter. I will have to look into it. I'm curious to know how you are related to this man.

Cheers !  François
Albin

Offline Francois 15

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 20:36 BST (UK) »
http://www.ogsottawa.on.ca/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/ALFRED.pdf

Entry #26 is for William Stewart Albin b. in Armagh Ireland.  I noticed that your signature block links this surname with this area of Ireland.
A possibility as his burial is in the correct area and dates are close to what you have.  How do you have such exact dates of death and birth without a name.

William Stewart Albin, 41, b. abt 1827 Ireland, living in Ottawa, s/o John and Margaret Albin married on 14 Jan 1868 at Ottawa, Carleton to
Emily M. Myers (another source interprets it as Marries - both records are transcriptions only)
26, b. Caledonia, living at Caledonia d/o of Moses and Emily Myers.

At the Basilique Notre Dame Ottawa there is a baptism on 23 April 1873 after a 7 April 1873 birth of George Albion s/o William Stuart Albion and Emily Mariex(?).  Ties in with the above marriage but not with the date of birth you gave.

Debbie

Hello Debbie,

I have gone through this interesting thread about a young Stuart Albin (17 yrs ???). Here I am quoting Steve Albin in one of his answers to you:

“Now, the young man who wrote both letters also mentions that he has turned 17 years of age and his father had died in September 1884 BUT the church records say September 1883 and the middle name might be STEWART . The boy author mentions he has no sisters but 3 of his brothers have died before 1886.”

All of the above corresponds to the one I'm researching into. The man I'm looking for, as I already told Steve Albin (in this thread ... but he has not answered yet) is Thomas William Stuart Albin (known as Stuart Albin). He had no brothers or sisters and grew up (probably ... I will have to verify that) around Caledonia Springs, which is just southeast of Alfred, ON. The details about dates correspond very closely to what I have. It would be interesting for me to read what is on the letters Steve Albin is referring to. It could help me determine if it was written by the same young person I'm referring to in this note.

From what I know, his mother Amélie Albin (born Leroux ... she was French Canadian) and her husband were living in the Alfred area. This explains why he was burried there.

I don't know how often Steve is present in this Forum. Please let me know if there is there a way to insert an alert for Steve in this thread ?

Kind regards.

François

P.S. My birthplace is Plantagenet, Ontario which is about 15 kilometers west of Alfred.
Albin

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 June 15 15:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Francois 15 and a warm welcome to RootsChat.

Steve may not be receiving notification of additions to this old thread. I have sent him a PM (personal message) to let him know about your post. He has been active on RootsChat recently.

One needs to have made 3 posts in order to use the PM system so you would need one more post.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Francois 15

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 June 15 02:41 BST (UK) »
Hello Francois 15 and a warm welcome to RootsChat.

Steve may not be receiving notification of additions to this old thread. I have sent him a PM (personal message) to let him know about your post. He has been active on RootsChat recently.

One needs to have made 3 posts in order to use the PM system so you would need one more post.

PB

Thank you so much Polar Bear ! I was not aware of this fact about the "3 posts minimum". I appreciate your gesture for sending him a PM. Cheers !

Francois 15
Albin