Author Topic: POWIS FAMILY  (Read 4764 times)

Offline lesann

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
POWIS FAMILY
« on: Thursday 03 June 04 15:01 BST (UK) »
Hi all
Any POWIS researchers, my Charles born Huntingdon Homer in 1845, but would love to hear from anyone with POWIS connections.
Thanks Lesley

Offline russell powis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: POWIS FAMILY
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 September 04 12:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Lesley
I am researching my Powis line. Mainly in the Midlands but stuck c 1800 so would welcome details of any other research!!
Russell
Powis,George, Croft, Weekes, Whitley. Mace,
Cotterill,Green,Frankcom, Weston,Village

Offline Glo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 November 04 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Hallo Leslie

I have family connections with Powis but, they all seem to be in London is this of any interest to you.  Possibly they could have move there. Thomas Powis B approx 1858.

Glo

Offline Maridel CB

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 November 04 01:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello to anyone interested... POWIS was my maiden name.
My father was Wilfred POWIS born Melbourne Australia 9 Jan 1912 to Walter POWIS and Florrie HACKETT.
Wilfred was raised in the Dudley/ Smethwick/Harbourne area of B'ham and came to Canada as a farm hand  under the Salvation Army program of resettlement for poor city kids in 1930...sort of like the Home Children, although he was no orphan.
Wilfred died in Sault Ste Marie, Ontario Canada 18 Oct 1967, leaving a wife and 4 daughters.

Walter and Florrie had  six other boys besides my dad and two daughters. They were married 13 Nov 1909, Parish of Quinton, B'ham and left for Australia the day after their wedding. Walter's father wanted them to come back to England so after about four years, they did, much to Granny Florrie's regret.

Walter POWIS was born 29 May 1880, Grove Lane, Smethwick to Joseph Powis Jr and Eliza FISHER, d/o a William FISHER.
The 1881 census has Joseph living at #100  Price ST.
Walter's other siblings may have been:  Fred; Jessie, Kate, Will, Alice Maria, Agnes and Joseph William (or is he the same as Will?)
 Walter POWIS was an ironworker in some B'ham place referred to as "The Works", and died ca 1957 in Harbourne.

Florrie was born Feb 1883 and died 12 May 1960 , Quinboro, Smethwick. Her father was Elihu HACKETT and her mother was said to be Jemima but the only marriage I see for Elihu lists him as married to Elizabeth STOKES.
The STOKES and HACKETTS were from Rowley Regis and Blackheath area.
"Jemima" was the daughter of Samule STOKES and Tamar WOOD.  Her  family were nailmakers and she did the same. Dad said he admired his grandma HACKETT's big arms.
Elihu was killed age 32 ca 1889 when the coach he was driving ran away down Mucklow's Hill and crashed.

Florrie's siblings may have been Nancy (married Ben STURMAN); John (married with one child, granny didn't know his wife's name.); Samuel (again married    but no children or wife's name given); Elizabeth married a PRITCHARD who was a policeman (?); Sally married a SHELDON and had a daughter Gladys.

Granny and Grandpa POWIS didn't seem to keep in touch with relatives at all.
This is about all I have done with my dad's roots.

If there are any POWIS/HACKETT/STOKES connections on this group from the above areas, I'd like to hear from you.

Email:
Modertor Note: Email address reoved to prevent spam with POWIS in the subject/message line please so I don't toss it as SPAM.

Thanks
Maridel CB

ERRINGTON Northumberland), MUMBY, WOOD, POWIS(Staffordshire and Worcs.), HACKETT(Rowley Regis area), STOKES(Ditto)

Offline russell powis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 June 05 10:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Maridel CB

Although I do not believe your family is linked to mine I do have a lot of detail about your Powis line AND I also am in touch with another Powis researcher who is linked to your family and with whom I can put you in touch.

Offline Maridel CB

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 July 05 04:45 BST (UK) »
Hello Russell
Finally got back to this board and saw your message. I would be interested to know what you have and about the other researcher. Thanks
Maridel CB
ERRINGTON Northumberland), MUMBY, WOOD, POWIS(Staffordshire and Worcs.), HACKETT(Rowley Regis area), STOKES(Ditto)

Offline russell powis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 August 05 09:16 BST (UK) »
I have sent o a personal message