Author Topic: Innes family of St Monance  (Read 7419 times)

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Innes family of St Monance
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 08 December 22 19:21 GMT (UK) »
The carters of Cellardyke were a wild bunch, often up before the local court, and Walter Myles was no exception. From the "Cellardyke Echo", the local Facebook page with extracts from old Anstruther newspapers:

"The Magistrates of Pittenweem held a Burgh Court on Tuesday, when a young Cellardyke carter, Walter Myles, was placed at the bar under the following circumstances:—It appears that on the previous day Myles and a cronie had been drinking in ” Willie Heugh’s public,” when, instead of calling in the other gill, he had gone to the spirit cellar and run off a bottle with which to continue the spree. The trick was complete, but at the moment, and when the coast was all but cleared, the landlord himself stood like a barricade in the doorway, from which the poor carter only emerged in the custody of the constable. On being asked to plead to the indictment, “I was sae drunk,” said he, “that I ken naething about it.” Eventually, however, he admitted the charge of theft, when, after the Bench consulted together, Provost Henderson said that it was the recognised rule to punish theft with imprisonment, but the Magistrates had been induced to make an exception in the present case for the sake of the culprit’s father, to whom he made a feeling allusion, which was evidently not lost on the better part of the unhappy panel, who was then sentenced to pay a fine of 15s, or twenty days in jail, His friend and brother whip from Anstruther, David Parker, was next at the bar charged with a breach of the peace by cursing and swearing and causing a tumult at the lock-up door, which, however, had been summarily ended by the constable thrusting him into a vacant cell as soon as he had disposed of the other culprit. Parker also pleaded guilty, and after a pointed reprimand was fined in the sum of 7s 6d, with the alternative of eight days in jail. The fines were paid."

Offline familysearch2011

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 20 January 24 08:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello hdw,
I send my sincere apologies on only replying to your wealth of information which you furnished me with.
I'm only trying to get back to searching after loosing some interest during my mother's passing and my father been diagnosed with Dementia.
My father is the last of his family and thankfully he helped with a lot of information on his parents.
The William Fogarty is my grandfather brother on my mother side and she had lots of information regarding the Fogarty's.
Thanks again for your help
Noel Gorman
Dublin Ireland

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 20 January 24 09:48 GMT (UK) »
I'm sorry to hear of your family troubles. I lost both my parents a long time ago and more recently both my elder sisters have died.

I had forgotten about this correspondence and have just re-read it from the start. If anyone still has queries about St. Monans ancestors I'll try to help.

Harry