Author Topic: Macfarlane - Alloa pre-1840s/ Odessa  (Read 1373 times)

Offline lizcat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Macfarlane - Alloa pre-1840s/ Odessa
« on: Tuesday 28 December 10 14:45 GMT (UK) »
I am tracing my family tree, partly after my now deceased grandma said that her gt-gt (?) grandma had come from Odessa on the Black Sea. My grandma was not one for making random things up so I have no reason for not believing this may have been the case other than the fact that I can only get back to my gt-gt grandparents in Alloa born in the late 1830s - Robert in 1839 and Margaret in 1840.

Can anyone help me find out about any earlier generations - I believe Robert's father was also Robert and his mother was Jean but again this is only guesswork. I do not have Margaret's maiden name.

During the 1860s/1870s onwards, the family lived at Mar Place and were slaters/plasters. My gt grandfather John Macfarlane was born in approx 1879 and lived there, later becoming an apprentice watch and clockmaker, marrying an Adeline Dent from Carlisle (family did furniture dealing) before going back to Alloa as a qualified watch/clockmaker and working for the Earl or Lord Mar. After WW1, I believe the family had to leave the area because of unpaid bills and/or bankruptcy through lack of work.

Any info from anyone in the Alloa area would be fab.

Many thanks.

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Macfarlane - Alloa pre-1840s/ Odessa
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 December 10 20:19 GMT (UK) »
hi Lizcat - it looks like it would help to look for the bap of John McFarlane first as you don't have an exact date. scotlands people is the place to look for all scottish records. it is pay to view but the indexes are free.

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Diddy

Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline lizcat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Macfarlane - Alloa pre-1840s/ Odessa
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 December 10 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that - very useful !

I splashed out and invested £6 and think I have got the family back to the 1780s - it all seems to match up but sadly there is no sign of exotic Odessa at the mo! I actually started with Adeline (my gt grandma) as we knew she had died comparatively young and I found her details. I was then able to take John and his parents back a couple more generations.

Will invest another £6 when I can get the stuff written up that I have found out today. May be asking more questions soon.....!!!

Cheers again. Happy New Year