Author Topic: Theodore B Ratcliffe - d.1841 Blackburn  (Read 3042 times)

Offline lizcat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Theodore B Ratcliffe - d.1841 Blackburn
« on: Tuesday 28 December 10 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have traced my family back to this gentleman who died in 1841. I have seen a copy of his daughter, Elizabeth's marriage certificate and on that he is listed as being a butcher. At one point he was married to a Priscilla Fisher as she later went to live with the daughter Elizabeth and her husband John Walsh in Blackburn.

I have been unable to trace a date of birth for Theodore (middle name either Belpide or Balfour) or anything else and would have expected to because of a slightly uncommon name. The rest of the family are Walsh and Smith.

Please can anyone point me in the right direction for finding out any more info and would a butcher have been quite a respectable occupation in the early 1820s? I'm assuming so!!

Many thanks

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: Theodore B Ratcliffe - d.1841 Blackburn
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 December 10 15:20 GMT (UK) »
hi,,just wondered if his middle name could have been   Belford...there is this birth,,,his son?

Births Jun 1840 

Ratcliffe  Theodore Belford    Blackburn  21 24
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 December 10 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lizcat,

Are you sure the Sep 1841 death isn't the Theodore Belford Ratcliffe whose birth was registered in Jun 1841 Blackburn? (sorry for echo, Gortonboy)

I'm looking at the 1851 census and I'm wondering what makes you say she's Elizabeth's mother. I'm  asking because she's simply described as 'relative', and she's just 16 years older than Elizabeth.
 "My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 December 10 15:24 GMT (UK) »
John Ratcliffe bapt 7 Nov 1824 St Peter, Blackburn, son of Theodore Belford & Priscilla Ratcliffe of Blackburn
Father was a butcher   
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 December 10 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Theodore Belford Ratcliffe buried 7 Nov 1824 St Peter, Blackburn age 29

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 December 10 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Theodore Belford Ratcliffe  buried 21 Jul 1841 St Peter, Blackburn, age 1¼

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 December 10 15:30 GMT (UK) »
There's a Priscilla Radcliffe -John Fisher marriage in Blackburn, 29 Oct 1826

:)
 "My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline slaw

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 December 10 16:00 GMT (UK) »
If you search Familysearch.org you will find Theodore Balfour Ratcliffe maried Priscilla Howarth 15/09/1817 Parish of Blackburn their are also christenings for several children
Edwards Llanfyllin Wales Evans LLanfyllin Wales
Salmon(Lawrence)b.1847 Monaghan Ireland
Salmon(lawrence)1869 Darlington, died Stockton on Tees
Duffey Staffordshire
Morris LLanfyllin, David Edwards 1779 Llanrhaiader Wales