Author Topic: Parents of Maria Howells  (Read 2509 times)

Offline cassdew

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parents of Maria Howells
« on: Tuesday 28 December 10 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Maria Howells was sentenced to death at the Hereford Assizes on 25 March 1828. She was a dairymaid and servant of all work.  This was one of the occupations needed in the young colony in Australia. It saved her life.  She was then sentenced to life imprisonment and transported to Australia. She was selected by James Alfred Bradford as a suitable housekeeper/wife and was able to live as a free woman. She has many descendents. I am l looking for details of her parents presumably in Herefordshire.

Offline RCB

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of Maria Howells
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 December 10 23:08 GMT (UK) »
In 1841 there are 146 Howells scattered across Herefordshire, you might get lucky working your way through these baptisms
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/
And if I get to Hereford in a few months I could try and find the court case and details of her family, I'm sure they'll be there somewhere, they may have copies in Australia?
I'm thinking she was a young woman, a teenager maybe, so a birth around 1810.  good luck  fred

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 December 10 23:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat

That type of sentence would certainly do wonders at reducing todays crime figures!!

Sentenced to death for "Larceny in a dwelling house"
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline cassdew

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 December 10 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks. Seems a bit harsh in light of today's standards.

Offline cassdew

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 December 10 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the offer Fred.
Her Ticket of Leave releasing her to live as a free woman states that she was born in 1804 which would make her 24 at the time she arrived here - end of 1828 on the 'Competitor'
This agrees with her death certificate in February 1884 stating that she was 79 years when she died.
I just wonder about the access to the Assize records which might have details of her background.