Author Topic: Male and Holmes Family  (Read 1924 times)

Offline HistoryFan

• RootsChat Member
  • My Great Grandmother
    • View Profile
Male and Holmes Family
« on: Wednesday 29 December 10 05:58 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to unravel some complications with this family.

My ancestor's sister Keziah Holmes had the following children in St Helier Jersey

George Holmes B 30/10/1860 St Helier Jersey         
Alfred Ainsley Holmes B 24/3/1862 St Helier Jersey
Edward James Male 30/1/1864 St Helier Jersey         
Alice Jane Keziah Male 5/2/1866 St Helier Jersey      
Mary (Maria) Jane Male Holmes 29/5/1870 St Helier Jersey

George when baptised was classed as 'illegitimate'.  He used the surname Holmes throughout his later life and moved to Guernsey (was a Mariner).  I think his father was Robert Male. (Robert acts as Godfather)

Alfred Ainsley Holmes was classed as 'illegitimate' also.  His father I believe was Robert Male (Robert acts as Godfather)

Edward James Male and Alice Jane Keziah Male were both legitimate, 'Male' children - father Robert Male

Then when Mary (or Maria) is baptised she is 'illegitimate' and takes the surname Holmes.

Here are my questions:

Did Keziah and Robert Male actually marry in St Helier?
Did Robert Male die before the birth of Mary (or Maria) in 1870?

What happened to Keziah?  I noticed on the Jersey Archives that she was admitted to Jersey Hospital in 1885 as Keziah Holmes.  Maybe she died shortly after this time?

Alfred, Edward and Maria disappear from my trace after the 1881 Census.  I wonder what happened to them?  Did they take Holmes or Male as their surname?

Alice does not appear on the 1881 Census and I've assumed that she died sometime after the 1871 Census and prior to 1881.  (The family use the name Male at the time of the 1881 Census, but Keziah uses Holmes)

I'm sure there is a perfectly simple conclusion but my head is swimming as I work on this part of my family tree.

Help most appreciated.
Holmes, Loveridge, Le Cheminant, White, Camp, Dennis, Beauchamp, Allen, Green, Legg, Symes, Mitchell, Rowe, Robin, Robert, Romeril, Cardinale